Author Topic: Eldar 8th preview  (Read 5449 times)

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: Eldar 8th preview
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 05:51:25 AM »
Ok ive moved this to be a new thread. as more leaks occur ill add them up to the list. This is based on: http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2017/05/misc-army-rules-for-new-edition-of.html

New rules:
 Wraithscythes: Str 8 Assault D3 S10 AP-4

Eldar Battle focus: no -1 to hit when shooting when advancing (This is important as assault weapons can be shot after Advancing (normally at -1)
This means if our shuriken weapons are "assault weapons: You move 7" + Advance D6" (avg 4") = 11" movement, then add the probable 12" from a guardian weapon (2 shots normally) and you are looking at 23" range with a 2 shot (probable rending weapon) that you dont take any modifiers for advancing. This fits into our armies theme of "fast"

Scatterlasers are 36" Heavy 4 AP 0

-----------------------------------------
Ok I'm going to try something different. Do you think we can guess what some of the stats are for some of the new units?

This is purely based of the GW page on Eldar in 8th Ed, or some very "basic assumptions/logic"

Assumptions:
1. Basic movement of Space Marines is 6", We must be faster, at least 7"
2. Aspect warriors I see as WS/BS hitting on 3's, as they do now (might lose our old formation rule)
3. Guardians I see going back to 4+ to hit, TBH, it would make so much sense and differentiation them from aspect warriors. I dont mind if this happens, I MIND if we arnt compensated in points.
Universal Special Rules (Or another name)
4. Battle Focus: (Reecius confirmed it is still in there)
What are your thoughts?

BTW - im so looking forward to see the new points cost of Phoenix lords. They said they have been re-pointed... so im hoping they are at least 25+ pts cheaper or more.

Can you imagine if you took Asurman gave all friendly units around him a 5+ inv save, including the avatar!

Im wondering if units like the Avatar, used to make units fearless. Will he prevent any loses due to morale (have the same effect as fearless perhaps?)

[/i]
Wraithguard/ Wraithblades
MWSBSSTWALdSv
*"3+3+5531*3+
Wraithcannon: 12" Assualt 1 Str 10 AP -4 D6 damage

Waveserpent
MWSBSSTWALdSv
16"***713*93+
Serpent Shield Reduce damage by 1, minimum 1

Guardian Defenders
MWSBSSTWALdSv
7"4+4+331185+

Dire Avengers
MWSBSSTWALdSv
7"3+3+331194+

Howling Banshees
MWSBSSTWALdSv
8"3+3+331194+
Banshee Mask: Howling banshees strike first in the fight phase, even if they didn't charge this turn. +3" to charge or advance
Special rule -1 to hit banshees in melee if with Exarch
Executioner S+2 AP-3 D3 Damage (but with a -1 to hit)

Striking Scorpions
MWSBSSTWALdSv
7"3+3+331193+
Masters of Stealth: Can deploy everywhere more than 9" away from the enemy
Mandiblasters: At the beginning of the fight phase, roll a D6 for every skorpion within 1" of an enemy troop. On the roll of a 6, the mandiblasters inflict a mortal wound.
Special rule +1 to hit a unit in cover
Exarch: gives unit extra attack on 6 to hit
Chainsaber is the same as chainsword but +1 str

Fire Dragons
MWSBSSTWALdSv
7"3+3+331193+

Wraithknight
MWSBSSTWALdSv
*"3+3+8824**3+
Wraithcannon Assault 2, S10, AP -4 D6 Damage
Wraithsword Sx2 AP-4 6 Damage

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:11:41 AM by mcphro »

Offline Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 07:21:32 PM »
I hope that's actually the case, as giving basic troop models access to heavy weapons, especially on a blisteringly fast and reasonably resilient platform, was a massive mistake by GW in terms of game balance, although I dare say it sold a few models!

To me the problem was not it existing, but the fact that the upgrade to the scatter laser on the jetbikes was only 10 points. There was almost no situation where that was not worth taking. (In my opinion it was always worth it, but some will say otherwise). It is the same problem as the wraithknight, looking at the unit alone a wraithknight is not a problem the same way an imperial knight is not a problem. The problem is that it was too cheap points wise and therefore was an auto take and invalidated a lot of other choices.

This edition to me seems like it is all about multiple options within each faction all being able to be used reasonably competitively, so I hope that one of my favorite Eldar styles is still reasonable.

TLDR: It is all about appropriate points.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 11:55:08 PM »
Surely there'll be no problem. Remember that all transports are now Disembark + Charge, even if you have to Disembark before they move. They fact that they're more durable than before probably means they're hanging around for at least a turn (unless you get like a full turn of Tau shooting...) point is, melee at least will be viable given the changes to Scorps and Banshees.

Obviously what I'm most worried about is Storm Guardians and Wraithguard. What with all the Iyanden fanboying and stuff... I have some measure of confidence in new GW though.
The Dance Without End Begins..

Online Turnip Jedi

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 04:18:54 AM »
I can certainly see Guardians going back to 4+, hopefully with a points reduction and maybe a psychic power or two to buff, although keeping tanks at 3+ would be fine

Making the Phoenix Lords playable might be fun, I'm hoping they each provide some kind of buffs for their respectively Shrines

Fairly sure the Avatar will provide immunity to Battleshock

I can see Battle Focus being set to a fixed distance move immediately before/after shooting

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 05:27:01 AM »
If the Dark Eldar transports are anything to go by, it's likely that they'll come with a 3+ or 4+ and some kind of Invulnerable save + Jink.. I pray that the fluffier HQs get some force multiplier type abilities (well we know they already will). Just a matter of what exactly it is that they do!

I think @mcphro is fairly spot on with the theory crafting (as usual if I recall correctly), save that I'd say we may be a little faster. Remember that Genestealers get to move 9".
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 08:20:15 AM »
adjusted list above after leaks... check it out