Author Topic: Eldar Leaks 8th Ed - moved to here  (Read 6341 times)

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
Eldar Leaks 8th Ed - moved to here
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »
Ok ive moved this to be a new thread. as more leaks occur ill add them up to the list. This is based on: http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2017/05/misc-army-rules-for-new-edition-of.html

New rules:
 Wraithscythes: Str 8 Assault D3 S10 AP-4

Eldar Battle focus: no -1 to hit when shooting when advancing (This is important as assault weapons can be shot after Advancing (normally at -1)
This means if our shuriken weapons are "assault weapons: You move 7" + Advance D6" (avg 4") = 11" movement, then add the probable 12" from a guardian weapon (2 shots normally) and you are looking at 23" range with a 2 shot (probable rending weapon) that you dont take any modifiers for advancing. This fits into our armies theme of "fast"

Scatterlasers are 36" Heavy 4 AP 0

Units

HQ

Elite
Wraithguard/ Wraithblades
MWSBSSTWALdSv
*"3+3+5531*3+
Wraithcannon: 12" Assualt 1 Str 10 AP -4 D6 damage

Dsythes: 8" Assult S10 AP-4

Howling Banshees
MWSBSSTWALdSv
8"3+3+331194+
Banshee Mask: Howling banshees strike first in the fight phase, even if they didn't charge this turn. +3" to charge or advance
Special rule -1 to hit banshees in melee if with Exarch
Executioner S+2 AP-3 D3 Damage (but with a -1 to hit)

Striking Scorpions
MWSBSSTWALdSv
7"3+3+331193+
Masters of Stealth: Can deploy everywhere more than 9" away from the enemy
Mandiblasters: At the beginning of the fight phase, roll a D6 for every skorpion within 1" of an enemy troop. On the roll of a 6, the mandiblasters inflict a mortal wound.
Special rule +1 to hit a unit in cover
Exarch: gives unit extra attack on 6 to hit
Chainsaber is the same as chainsword but +1 str

Fire Dragons
MWSBSSTWALdSv
7"3+3+331193+

Troops
Waveserpent
MWSBSSTWALdSv
16"***713*93+
Serpent Shield Reduce damage by 1, minimum 1

Dire Avengers
MWSBSSTWALdSv
7"3+3+331194+

(this one is a guess till we see it)
Guardian Defenders
MWSBSSTWALdSv
7"4+4+331185+

Fast attack

Warp Spiders
MWSBSSTWALdSv
7"3+3+3311*3+
Warp jump: can choose to move 4D6 and get "fly" but you cannot advance or charge
Flickerjump gives enemy -1BS but yuo roll 2D6 and on a 2 you loose a warp spider
Death Spinner: 18" rapid Fire S6 Ap-4 (assuming AP-4 is rending)
Exarch: reroll failed morale tests

Heavy

Fliers

Lords of War
Wraithknight
MWSBSSTWALdSv
*"3+3+8824**3+
Wraithcannon Assault 2, S10, AP -4 D6 Damage
Wraithsword Sx2 AP-4 6 Damage
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUvgDgTAta8/

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:57:18 AM by mcphro »

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: Eldar Leaks 8th Ed - moved to here
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »
"waves to fritz"

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 07:02:58 AM »
You know it occurs to me.. you cant target characters unless they are the closest unit right...?

Solitaires should be immune in the middle of an army as the army rushes forward. They should no longer be targetted and so perhaps it shall be interesting so see what they are capable of in 8th

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:14:51 AM »
Solitaires have all the tools to be a unit or two deep in a Footdar army and suddenly jump over them all to be the first one in the fight.  But with inifinite Overwatch, that might be tricky to keep them alive during the charge against some armies.  But armies not ready for it... that'll hurt.  Eight Attacks normally, ten with an ability that turns it into 12"+2D6 Move, plus the charge after that.  I might think about getting one for my Ynnari at this rate.

Offline Shadenuat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:22:25 AM »
Starcannons S6 AP-3 Heavy2 Damage:3

Starcannons return from the depths of 3d edition, eh?

The blasts are nerfed into hilarity. Fire prism, roll 1 hit, fail to wound, enjoy. Fire 12 S beam, roll 1 on d6 for damage points, enjoy.

wooops windriders in Fast Attack, guess my 30 jetbike saim hann army waits for special FOCs or 9th edition lmao
For my old army I will need a FOC with about 8 to 10 FA slots. (kidding)

For most part, all I see are cut and removed rules and most units becoming copypasta/shadow of what they were.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:23:49 PM by Shadenuat »

Offline EBomb

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »
I was really excited for this edition but now I'm not too happy about some of the changes.  As an Ulthwe player I was excited for the psychic phase.  7th ed psychic phase went way out of control and imbalanced.  I was looking forward to a streamlined simple version on par with 5th ed.  Now with only one attempt at a power per turn for your entire army except for smite is a huge let down, especially when only getting 3 powers for Farseers and 3 for warlocks.

Warlocks don't even get full smite.  It's cut to 9 inch range and can only do 1 mortal wound for a single warlock, you need to have 4 or more to do the D3 wounds but only get to cast it once for the full unit.  I'm sad this is what the awesome power destructor/renew was turned into.  It makes me miss 5th when it was just a heavy flamer that each warlock could do without a chance of failure or perils.

The Fraseers powers are a let down too.  Where did Eldrich storm and Mind War go?  Guide and Doom are about the same, maybe at bit less reliable needing to cast at 7,  but only being able to use them once per turn even if you have 2 Farseers?  Fortune took a huge hit, now it only gives the equivalent of Feel no Pain 5+ and you can't even use it on the Avatar because Molten Body also became feel no pain 5+.  These guys are so expensive for how little they can do.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
@mcphro seems like this thread could use some updating! Many more rules floating around~

The powers have been reduced a bunch, but I'm sure they'll cover Ulthwe in more depth when Eldar eventually get their own Codex type thing. For now, are you limited to using the same power once per psychic phase, or is it once per Farseer per psychic phase? All other codices have a similar thing going. Runes of Battle is actually the the largest set of psychic powers at the moment. Not to mention Runes of the Farseer make them very reliable both when it comes to casting and denying and the ability to avoid Mortal Wounds on a 5+ makes them fairly resilient.

Outside that, there is some pretty great stuff around. Asurmen handing out Invul. Saves? Hell yeah! Yriel handing out re-rolls to Iyanden models? I'll take that thank you very much! Jain Zar nullifying Overwatch for her and Banshees in 6"? Oh yes please, especially with the new transport rules and assault after disembarking!

I must say, however, that in an Iyanden list Yriel looks to be more useful than a Spiritseer.. Sure the one Runes of Battle power could be nice but re-rolls of 1 to EVERY Iyanden unit within 6" is maybe a little better..

On another topic... The combinations are getting super colourful and I am sooo tempted to get into Ynnari.. nothing like a Wraith army representing the new Eldar god of the dead right? My question is... if you take a Ynnari list does that mean that, for example Yriel's ability for Iyanden units no longer works? The Ynnari detachment can include Yriel, but if you take Craftworld models do you still have to nominate a Craftworld for them? Might need an FAQ here...

Either way I think everything is in a relatively good spot.. Will have to sift through it all to get a better idea, but Shooting twice with my Wraithguard in one phase sounds good to me~
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline EBomb

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 09:51:24 PM »
I've thought Ynarri may be the way to go now too.  Battle focus isn't a great ability anymore but strength from death was always better than battle focus and it is just as good as it was.  I'm not a fan of phoenix lords, I only own Magaun Ra so I didn't really check them out.

It is a competitive play rule that says only one of the same psychic power per army per turn, except for smite.  You do get the most millage out of runes of battle for that reason unfortunately I think other than conceal they are mediocre or situational at best.  There is a good chance a new codex will help but who knows how long that will take.

Tzeench and Grey Knights are in the same boat as me.  Only 1 unit in your army gets hammer hand per turn.  Many other knights will only get to use a crap version of smite.  Change the rule back to 1 attempt per psyker and things get much better and it will actually scale with game size.

Offline Angelic

• Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 11:37:04 PM »
That's a very interesting limit on Psychic Powers...

What is your source for that rule? The only 8th Ed rules I've seen haven't said anything to that effect. (i.e. from here --> http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/05/40k-rules-8th-edition.html)

Also. on the usefulness of Smite, keep in mind that thanks to Runes of the Farseer re-rolling any dice during psychic and Deny the Witch tests have the potential to make Smite better. Hypothetically if you roll a 4+ on one dice, you can safely decide to always re-roll the other dice to try and get that 10+ for d6 mortal wounds because you can't possibly get lower than 5. Having a higher chance of generating d6 wounds that can't be saved isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also also, on the usefulness of Battle Focus, never suffering penalties for moving + advancing and shooting (outside Heavy weapons) means that you're moving and average of 10" every round and still firing at full Ballistic Skill with everything else. Sure Assault Weapons can do that anyway, but if you think about having a 3+ to hit re-rolling 1s with an Autarch or similar character around, or with Guide you're only ever missing on 2s. That's fairly decent odds.

I think the balance between that and Power from Death comes from the fact that units have to be wiped out within 7" for it to work. Especially since it's really only Yvraine and Yncarne that have access to the Revenant discipline.

Offline Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 11:59:25 PM »
That's a very interesting limit on Psychic Powers...

What is your source for that rule? The only 8th Ed rules I've seen haven't said anything to that effect. (i.e. from here --> http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/05/40k-rules-8th-edition.html)

The source of the rule is from http://imgur.com/a/OrSvi. About half way down the album, under the matched play section, on the page titled "Choose Mission" there is a grey box with matched play mission rules and one called "Psychic Focus" which states only one attempt at a psychic power per turn except for smite.

Offline Angelic

• Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 01:51:36 AM »
Wow, that kills the Psychic phase a little bit. Hope everyone who is planning to play competitively like Smite..

Offline Morollan

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 06:02:14 AM »
Suspect that's a rule that TO's will swiftly jettison.

Online DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
Suspect that's a rule that TO's will swiftly jettison.
I suspect that's a rule that TO's will quickly appreciate, as will players. :)
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline EBomb

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 12:58:05 PM »
Please explain why you think that.

One of the things I was most excited for this edition was the fact that it was so thoroughly play tested.  However, the more that I compare points I am finding odd discrepancies with even the internal balance of this codex.  A Wave Serpent with twin bright lance is 147 pts and a falcon with a pulse laser is 174 points no other upgrades added on.  The pulse laser has better range but worse AP and on average does 1 point less of damage compared to twin bright lances.  Yet the Wave Serpent has the serpent shield, double the transport capacity and an extra wound.  Why would the Falcon be almost 30 points more?  At first I thought it must be because of holo fields.  Nope! Holo fields don't appear to exist anymore.

Guardians are 8 points and Dire Avengers are 17 points.  More than double the points for 1 better armor save and a little extra range? 

I haven't checked it myself but I read that a similarly kitted out Wraith Knight costs 80 points more than an Imperial Knight.

On the brighter side, Rangers look interesting now and Banshees seem pretty good.

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »
@mcphro seems like this thread could use some updating! Many more rules floating around~

The powers have been reduced a bunch, but I'm sure they'll cover Ulthwe in more depth when Eldar eventually get their own Codex type thing. For now, are you limited to using the same power once per psychic phase, or is it once per Farseer per psychic phase? All other codices have a similar thing going. Runes of Battle is actually the the largest set of psychic powers at the moment. Not to mention Runes of the Farseer make them very reliable both when it comes to casting and denying and the ability to avoid Mortal Wounds on a 5+ makes them fairly resilient.

Outside that, there is some pretty great stuff around. Asurmen handing out Invul. Saves? Hell yeah! Yriel handing out re-rolls to Iyanden models? I'll take that thank you very much! Jain Zar nullifying Overwatch for her and Banshees in 6"? Oh yes please, especially with the new transport rules and assault after disembarking!

I must say, however, that in an Iyanden list Yriel looks to be more useful than a Spiritseer.. Sure the one Runes of Battle power could be nice but re-rolls of 1 to EVERY Iyanden unit within 6" is maybe a little better..

On another topic... The combinations are getting super colourful and I am sooo tempted to get into Ynnari.. nothing like a Wraith army representing the new Eldar god of the dead right? My question is... if you take a Ynnari list does that mean that, for example Yriel's ability for Iyanden units no longer works? The Ynnari detachment can include Yriel, but if you take Craftworld models do you still have to nominate a Craftworld for them? Might need an FAQ here...

Either way I think everything is in a relatively good spot.. Will have to sift through it all to get a better idea, but Shooting twice with my Wraithguard in one phase sounds good to me~

Its too large now. The full rules have now dropped online. we wil lnow have to dissect it before coming up with our strategies and unit guides.