Author Topic: 8th Ed Ynnari?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
8th Ed Ynnari?
« on: June 05, 2017, 03:28:58 AM »
Hey all, I know the current books are only stop-gap until GW can release proper 'codices', but with that in mind I figured there are some questions which are relevant to list building.

Ynnari seem to have their own attraction/unique thing going in the form of a weird allied force type thing. To me, being an Iyanden fanboy, running a list of Wraith units dedicated to the new God of the Dead is super cool. And hey, maybe Yriel would even join in considering he was resurrected by Yvraine. Either way, it could be cool to have some variation (and an excuse to buy Harlequins and Deldar).

An issue I'm thinking of specifically in relation to this is the addition of the <Craftworld>, <Masque>, <Kabal> (and so on) keywords. Of course, if you're playing Eldar, Harlequins, or Deldar respectively there's no issue here, choose a word and run with it.

However, what I wonder is how this interacts in a Ynnari list. You're able to include units from most Eldar factions including, for example, Yriel. Yriel's path of command ability (and any Autarch's path of command ability for that matter) applies only to units with the Iyanden keyword. So, if Yriel was taken in a Ynnari list would his Path of Command ability still apply? If you're running a Ynnari list, do you still assign a Craftworld, Masque, Kabal, etc.

Thoughts on this? And also on running a Ynnari list vs. Craftworld Eldar
The Dance Without End Begins..

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: 8th Ed Ynnari?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »
It's exactly as you'd expect.  If the unit you're trying to buff doesn't have Iyanden, Yriel's power doesn't go off.  Consider it a tradeoff for using Ynnari and being able to cherry pick the best units for your playstyle.  An easy way to think of it though is that even though Yriel is hanging out with Yvraine, he's still from his home.  He's still fighting in the style of his Path and Craftworld, same with the Dark Eldar and Harlequin counterparts.  None of them have shucked their history, they're just fighting under one banner right now.

Personally, as an Alaitoc player, Ynnari is a great way to get faster units to supplement my Ranger core, so I'm okay with less buffs.  I don't like the 7th or 8th Edition options as standalones, but with Dark Eldar seamlessly added in I can build a more reliable Corsair and Alaitoc force than through other methods.  I suppose it just depends on what hat you're trying to do.  It's worth noting though that you can just smack Ynnari characters into a Battalion (or whichever) without a downside right now.  Aeldari are Aeldari and they can all go into a single Detachment even without making them Faction Ynnari.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:17:54 PM »
It does seem as though this is the case, but I was wondering more so why it is the case. I had assumed that because you were not using the "Craftworld" army list and therefore never assign the keyword?
The Dance Without End Begins..

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
They're still Craftworld Eldar or Dark Eldar and so on.  An Autarch doesn't suddenly know how a drugged up Reaver squad operates, or an Archon isn't suddenly intimately familiar with how Dire Avengers practice war.  They are still different cultures in the fluff.  These units have been fighting side by side for about five minutes, but they've been separate since the creation of the Primarchs.  All those thousands of years aren't going to get smoothed over just because a new Oracle of a god showed up to save their everlasting souls.

From a hard edged rules context, it'd be too much.  If you replace Craftworld and Kabal with Ynnari, you're getting too many buffs just being passed around.  Aeldari Keyword is the general buff, but Craftworld and Kabal are more specialized, keeping your army working as a symphony with each section specifically buffing another section for the best effect.  Soulburst is so powerful an ability in 7th that there's no surprise that they restricted the army that can take it by limiting their 'standard' buff abilities.

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 08:52:32 PM »
I don't see anywhere that says that the Ynnari units lose any of their original keywords. They only gain the Ynnari keyword. This means that they have all of the <Craftworld>, <Kabal>, etc. keywords still.

So if your Ynnari army contains a buff for <Craftworld> then it works on all of your <Craftworld> models, but not on any of your dark eldar, or Harlequinn models. Meaning you lose some synergy for having a mix-up of Dark Eldar, Eldar and Harlequins but you can also choose to entirely or primarily have only of of those.