Author Topic: 8th Edition Psycannon vs Psilencer vs Incinerator & GK Terminators vs PAGK's  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
  • I have been collecting and playing 40k since 1996
    • View Profile
New edition new rule set.

Our Psycannons are no longer Salvo because Salvo doesn't exist anymore, all of our guys can move, shoot and assault with Heavy weapons but with a -1 to BS and our Storm Bolters are now Rapid Fire 2. Our PAGK's get a save of 6+ vs Plasma and Lascannons. We can now deep strike on either Turn 1, 2 or 3 automatically and then charge without any scatter. Things are certainly looking different for our GK's now in 8th.

So as the title suggests where do we go from here?
First our standard weapons load out.

Psycannon vs Psilencer vs Incinerator

I would like to start with the Incinerator.
I am finding this weapon hard to use. It has a range of 8" and now after deep strike we need to be 9" away from enemy models which leaves us 1" short.

The Psycannon
Over the years I have seen GW do all kinds of things to this weapon. We now have a gun that is 24" S7 AP -1 & Heavy 4 so we have now completely lost Rending. It would have been nice to see something along the lines of a 6 to wound causes a mortal wound or even gives it AP -3 but no there is nothing.

The Psilencer
This is has always been the last option for GK's but now with the changes to Heavy Weapons it's not bad. Same stats as before but now you don't cast force to get Instant death it just straight up does D3 wounds which is the best Damage of any our basic infantry.

Terminators vs Strike Squads

Terminators took a massive rise in points but the gained an extra wound. I was finding in 7th my terminators died super easy and didn't really seem like something that struck fear into my opponents. I do feel they are better in 8th but they also cost more. The same load out I took in 7th now costs me an extra 66pts

Strikes squads only went up by 1 point each and the Justicar is now free so you pay the same amount of points for 10 guys without upgrades as in 7th. They got better at shooting at short range as well now a 10 mam squad will get 40 shots at 12" instead of 20 thanks to the new Storm Bolter rules. Terminators also got this same boost.

I am actually leaning a bit more towards Strike Squads now because they get the added fire power for cheaper but where they really shine is being able to get 2 Special Weapons for around the same points cost as the Termimator get 1.

I would love to hear some feed back from some other GK players.

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Secondly you can now take a pair of Falchions for free this gives the strikes 2 Attacks each and the Terminators 3 attacks each.

If armed with Special weapons the Terminators get 15 attacks & the Strikes get 17 attacks and cost less points.

Offline Wraithlan

• Battle Brother
  • -He who stands with me shall be my Brother.
    • View Profile
So, a few of thoughts,

First, the Incinerators are still good, just perhaps, not in deep strike. seems like they'll be good for defending against assaults due to D6 auto hits at S6, AP-1. Also instead of deep striking them, put in the now much more survivable transports, be them land raiders or razorbacks. I'm a little torn about interceptors now, part of me wants to use them incinerators, and part of me wants to use psycannons.

As for Psycannons, we did lose "rending" but so did the assault cannon. Assault cannons got 2 extra shots, but Psycannons still have that 1 extra strength and now they do 2 damage, which is going to help a ton against vehicles and monsters. I think are are better the psliencers because while they have less shots, they are much more likely to wound, and should put out damage more consistently. Plus our storm bolters at rapid fire 2 should really help us shred infantry, so I can't yet think of a compelling reason to take psliencers just yet.

It's a bummer we lost relentless but, the Terminators are 2 wounds, with 2+ armor and an invulnerable save, so they should live longer. Additionally I would think because vehicles are more survivable now more of the anti tank will be going into our heavy support, helping our terminators actually make use of the two wounds.

Strike squads are still going to be more offensive per point, but the terminators look more survivable.

Oh and is it just me or HOLY SHINIKIES do Venerable Dreadnoughts with dual twin auto cannons look AMAZING now? 8, S7, AP-1, 2 damage shots, hitting on 2s? Plus 6+ feel no pain? Swiss cheese anyone?
-We strike with the wrath of the righteous

Offline geffthegoat

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Incinerators have their niece in antihorde tactics, I had some good expierience with some strikes jumping out of a razorback and flaming a bunch of poxwalkers. S6 is really a boon.

I think psilencers are the way to go now. They're cheaper, put out more shots, and due to the way wounding works S7 is actually a pretty awkward number. Only wounds T4 on 3s, and wounds T8 on 5's. The psycannons  only advantage over assault cannons is T7, and even then the Asscan puts out 6 shots instead of 4.
Meanwhile, the psilencer actually makes a pretty decent antitank weapon in the games I've played, since a single failed save does d3 damage.
Also, they are dirt cheap. You can pay 20 points for 4 shots at S6 Ap-1, or 12 shots at S4 Ap-0 D3 dmg. The Psilencer is more costefficient than the psycannon due to how the wound chart works. S4 wounds stuff like dreads on 5s, psycannon only wounds on 4s, while losing two extra shots. Also, psilencers make decent horde clearing tools because they have 6 shots.

Strikes are decent again, not because they are good (they actually are pretty terrible), but because the alternative (purifiers) has been nerfed to hell and had its points increased.
Terminators are, imo, not worth 46 points per model. 2 wounds doesn't mean much when even things like heavy bolters affect your armor save. 5 Terminators with psilencer and hammer cost around 250 points. For about 45 (about the cost of one terminator) more, I can get the exact same loadout on a paladin unit.
45 points for another terminator: +2 wounds +2attacks with either a halberd, sword, falchions, etc + 1 stormbolter
45 points for paladins instead of terminators: +5 wounds +5 attacks, 4 halberds and 1 hammer +my hammer paragon hits on 3s instead of 4s +the option of taking another psilencer
Also, paladins synergize way better with an apothecary than terminators, to the point that an apothecary can actually make his points back reviving models without killing anything. If the apothecary heals 4-5 wounds he's brought back about 90 points of paladins.

Ranged dreads are amazing. Don't have any expierience with the dual auto dread, but lasmissle is really good.

Offline LordPathos

• Initiate
    • View Profile
I'm not feeling Purifiers anymore. Thoughts?

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
I'm not feeling Purifiers anymore. Thoughts?

I find the only reason to take them now is for the aura smite. The problem is though that they still have the same problem as before and that is getting into range.