Author Topic: The Lost Chapter?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Lee Gaddies

• Initiate
    • View Profile
The Lost Chapter?
« on: June 10, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »
So with 8th Edition coming out I would like to create my own Space Marine chapter with a custom logo in color scheme . The two logos that I like the best that are already in existence are the Dark Angels and Nova Marines ,can you guys give me some hints on the doís and doníts of creating a custom faction of Space Marines?

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Chapter?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 08:01:58 PM »
Don't overreach with your fluff.  Don't say your Chapter is the super secret offspring of the Alpha Legion or a combination of two Chapters that not even the Inquisition knew about because the Emperor himself needed super secret agents that even the Custodies feared.  Keep it simple, keep it mellow and other people might hold interest in your story.  A Chapter that is located somewhat near the Maelstrom, fighting the many renegades, Xenos and daemonic incursions that plague that sector, or something simple like that.  Usually, tailor it to the folks you play against the most, just for some added flair.  If you've got Tau opponents, maybe make your Chapter near the Damocles Gulf, if you face Necrons a lot, say the sector your Chapter patrols is struggling with the reviving Tomb Worlds that have been plaguing the people under your protection.  The smaller you make your backstory in the overall plot of 40k, the more likely it is to be accepted in people's head canon and remembered and enjoyed.

Ruleswise, don't make your own house rules that give you bonuses.  Bounce between factions and Chapters, sure, but stick 100% to established rules.  If you want to, for instance, make your 1st Company into something like Dark Angels Deathwing but your 2nd Company is all about them Jump Packs like Blood Angels then by all means, use multiple codexes but don't say that because it's your special Chapter, they're all able to buff each other.  Make there be a fluff reason for the rift between Companies, but for 8th Edition, make sure you obey the restrictions for aura buffs and transports and Faction differences and folks won't mind a bit.  They might even get a kick out of you limiting yourself because of your ideas of how your Chapter operates.  A bitter rivalry in your own army would be memorable, but that's just one example.  Don't forget that while we don't have Chapter Tactics yet, Forge World should have their own on release day for things like Astral Claws, Red Scorpions and Raptors, and they used to have significant buffs of flavor, not necessarily gameplay buffs, that you can choose from too.

With Narrative Gameplay being a real thing now, make use of it with some folks who don't mind that type of game.  Build your lore actively, in game.  Make historical battles and depending on the outcome, shape the future of your Chapter like that.  For instance, it's completely understandable for the Crimson Fists to have played a massive game against Orks and the Crimson Fists won, but the only squads left standing were either Sternguard Veterans or Tacticals led by Veterans and the Crimson Fists player then made the lore of the Chapter to feature the Veterans very highly.  That's prolly not how that happened, but something similar could have went with yours.  Like if you get tabled in a Narrative game, in your fluff make 1st Company a very rare asset to use.  Make Veterans appear less than 10 models per game max because your death counts means that it's ridiculously rare for a Veteran to actually survive.  Make your battle reports meaningful to how you build your army in the future and how you shape your story.

Offline Lee Gaddies

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »
Great advice thank you.

Offline Lee Gaddies

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »
I'm going to use a established Chapters rules I just want something that looks different on the battle field for fun with a custom logo for the chapter.