Author Topic: Overall 8th edition thoughts for orks  (Read 483 times)

Offline new@40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Overall 8th edition thoughts for orks
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:31:24 AM »
Why are burnas only d3 hits when every other flamer is d6? I realize that burnas can be used as a power weapon in cc but I don't want my burnas getting into the assault if I can avoid it. I want 20 of them in a battle wagon with deff rolla acting like a mobile bbq. Why is the Stompa almost 1000 points? I realize it has 40 wounds but its the biggest fire magnet in the universe and with bs 5+ it's fire power although impressive will more often than not underwhelm you. Getting rid of blast templates is a blessing and a curse for orks, overall it's great for horde armies but it was also our most reliable way to actually land shots. Okay that last point is kinda crazy cause no templates is amazing for us but it makes the shokk attack gun super unreliable now and that makes me sad. My old speed freaks lists just don't seem to be viable anymore with the massive points increase to vehicles and the massive advantages to running blobs of boyz/stormboyz now. Overall orks look much improved and I'm happy about that but I feel like gw has basically determined that orks need to be played with the horde mentality to have a chance of success. I feel like I'm on an island with my thoughts cause everywhere I go I see people so excited about orks now. These are just my opinions and I would be curious to know what you guys think about the points cost of our units and our special rules.

DeffBossGitKrusha

Re: Overall 8th edition thoughts for orks
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 03:47:47 PM »
That's a lot to take in lol. 
Burnas, I was surprised by them being D3 but i kinda get it. imagine how powerful they be at D6. Imagine 15 strong unit at D6. Super burny. I think of it a little differently. How many flamers are in a unit? don't really know.  IG used to get a unit with 3 of them Space marines had some units with two. Chaos had a way to take 4 in a squad. So, to me having 5 is like rolling a 5 having 10 is like rolling 2 fives. but it could be more. I think that's one reason we're given a D3. (Or they just though we liked more random... )
Still they're a solid choice as far as I can tell. I've read of people using them do burn down flyers.
Why is the stompa almost 1,000 points. Don't know.  I haven't spent any time thinking about using mine. I'll definitely put a KFF Big Mek on board.
I don't trust my dice but I'll field a SAG Mek if I have the points and the slots just to see what will happen. For me it's best to have no expectations and just see how it goes. Can't help you yet with the Kult of Speed. I wasn't a fan and never got into it. The change to twin linked kinda really hurts. I don't have any faith in my dice so more dice sounds good but I doubt it'll be better.