Author Topic: Thoughts on 8th Edition Aeldari/Ynnari  (Read 5974 times)

Online Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Thoughts on 8th Edition Aeldari/Ynnari
« on: June 23, 2017, 01:43:43 AM »
Hey everyone

After having some games with the new Aeldari codex, below are my thoughts on the units based on my games with them thus far. This is by no means comprehensive... just based on what I've used so far

Farseer
This has become my go-to must-have HQ unit. I've always given him Guide and Doom primarily because I find those powers to be the most important to support the rest of the armies and to take on those high wound units where you really need to kill fast (eg. Imperial Knight). I personally find Fortune to be badly nerfed as it now essentially give a 5+ FNP to all wounds, which is rather unreliable IMO. The runes have been a really great back-up to make sure my spells are cast. Having a 50% failure (spells being 7 to cast) is quite damaging so far, with only the CP and runes ensuring that the powers are cast. However, I am a bit disapppointed that they cannot get Ynnari powers in any way. The only way to get them is through Yvraine... sigh...

Eldrad
Fairly cheap for what he can do although a bit pricey if you compare him to a generic Farseer. He essentially has all the Eldar Runes of Fate powers and Smite with some better offensive bonus along with better casting possibilities as you cast more powers successfully. The staff gives you some variety in your CC prowess but you don't really want to put him in the front line assault. A good addition to an army if you have the points to spare. Otherwise, sticking to a generic Farseer is good enough.

Illic
I have come to love this HQ unit which I never cared about in the past. His ability to wound anything except a vehicle on a 2+ along with a -3 rend makes him really deadly, coupled with his D3 damage. Any character that has no LOS equivalent units near him will definitely have cause to worry. The mortal wounds on a 6 is icing on the cake. On top of this, he only cost 88 pts. But if you take him, it's best to take Rangers along as well to ensure that the character you want dead is actually killed.

Warlock
A cheap HQ unit to fill up the detachment HQs where needed. Depending on what you bring along, the psychic powers I've found most useful for him so far are Conceal and Enhance. Admittedly, I find Enhance more viable at the moment mainly because I always put him very close to my Banshees. Banshees hitting on 2+ is really deadly and nothing to laugh at. Conceal is a nice power to have to keep your army still alive. A must have for a foot army.

Yvraine
As far as I'm concerned, there's only 1 reason to take her: Ynnari powers. The Ynnari powers are really really good no doubt. Only problem, they are fairly expensive to cast but thankfully, she has the Gyrinx that adds 1 to the power casted so you can cast Gaze of Ynead at 7 instead of the super high 8. I have so far ran her with Gaze of Ynead and Word of the Phoenix. The Word of the Phoenix is really awesome, immediately giving a unit in range soulburst. This will help your deepstriking units get in range for a wholesome charge (eg/ Striking Scorpions) or allows your hard hitting unit to kill/severely damage key enemy units before the shooting phase. If you are lucky, you can even set off a chain reaction of soul bursts.

Gaze of Ynead didn't perform too well for me thus far because of its high casting power need but the potential is there. You can actually target characters and deal potentially 6 mortal wounds if in range. You can then finish off using the snipers. Otherwise, I've not used her in close combat yet as I've been keeping her behind enemy lines to avoid being a target. At 132 pts, she's at least far more usable now compared to how she was in FOBT.

Guardian Defenders
Your go-to troop choice. Cheap at 8 points to hold back lines and any infantry that comes too close. Otherwise, I so far find them not very useful other than a troop choice filler. Their offensive power is fairly limited and anything that points their guns at them will kill them. The heavy weapons being -1 on the move hurt them fairly, makign shuriken canons the most viable if you want to be mobile. If they are going to sit back at base, camping on objectives and providing fire support, the heavy weapons can be viable.

Dire Avengers
Way too expensive. They are quite resilient with the Shimmershield equipped in a big squad but a squad like that can easily reach 200+ points. With that kind of points, you can field 2 10 man guardian squads with weapons. The added range on their guns are a good bonus. I'm going to try running them in 5 man squads supporting the other aspects in transports to see how they fare. Otherwise at the moment, I don't find them all that good.

Rangers
These guys have become quite the gem to me. The character killers, a S4 AP0 weapon seem lackluster, until you add in the possibility of mortal wounds on a 6, which can be a major big deal. Remember, characters are generally force multipliers now. When you take them out, the enemy army becomes significantly weaker due to loss of synergy. They are fairly resilient too being -1 to hit and +2 armour for being in cover. 20 pts for a model makes them fairly expensive but quite worth it if they managed to do what they are supposed to do. As a result, they have become quite the target.

Windriders
Ever since they have been moved to fast attack, scatter lasers being -1 to hit and their point being almost doubled for naked bikes, I actually gave this a miss. However, I tried them recently and found them to be really good in a different way. I ran them with Shuriken Canons instead of Scatter laser for more reliable shots and possible rends in squads of 3. They have performed quite well, especially as character snipers. How did I do so? By using their speed, I put them in a position where the character is the nearest enemy. Once that is achieved, I pour all my shots onto the character to kill it. The windriders are really superb at doing this, which was quite the hidden gem I've found.

D-Scythe Wraith Guards
These guys are surprisingly more resilient now with their 3 wounds, despite the T5 nerf. It takes a fair bit before their power is decreased. As for their gun, i was first not too impressed by the 1 damage dealt by the D-Scythe. I was hoping for Damage 2 but I realised even with 1 damage, it can be fairly damaging. I've ran them in squads of 6 (to fit an entire wave serpent) and even with rolling a 2, that's 12 auto hit shots at Strength 10 with almost no saves. That's A LOT of damage. Killed a Dark Angel Captain with a single salvo despite the 3++ invul save. When you pair this with soulburst, things get ugly really REALLY fast. These guys can become your airplane killers quite well. Even vehicles with high wounds will get at least badly maimed by a salvo from these guys, if not destroyed, unless of course you rolled a 1.

Howling Banshees
These girls have improved really significantly now that you can assault out of vehicles. As usual, Doom support is almost mandatory. Being able to always hits first is very crucial and dangerous. Becareful though, they are very fragile but they hit really hard. The -1 to hit if the Exarch is alive is really good to keep you alive in close combat. So far I've been equipping my Exarch with Executioner despite the -1 to hit (making it a 4+ to hit) for that extra punch. This is where the Enhance power from the Warlock becomes very important. The +3 to advance and charge is really good for the banshees of course.

Wave Serpents
Wave Serpents are back and with a vengeance. No doubt that they are still heck of a lot more expensive compared to Space Marine Rhinos and Razorbacks, they had been the only things that are keeping my infantry alive and they are quite resilient. The Serpent Shield's -1 to damage actually really keeps the serpent alive for fairly long, long enough for you to deliver your packages. I've so far kept them cheap by just equipping them with twin Shuriken Canons, of which the firepower can be quite devastating as it is. For some extra points, I give a Wave Serpent Twin Brightlances for the extra anti-tank punch. If I do so, I normally give them crystal targetting matrix to ensure that they shoot at full BS instead of -1.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:11:17 AM by Chmmr_X »

Online Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on 8th Edition Aeldari/Ynnari
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 02:10:12 AM »
Fire Prism
1 word. DISMAL

I had high hopes for the prism but it has disappointed me horribly. The Heavy 1D6, 1D3 and 1  hurt the prism very badly since its shots are too variable, and you still need to roll to hit on top of that. The -1 to hit on the move hurt it even more. It looked good on paper but once tried, it performed badly consistently. I'd suggest to skip it entirely.

Night Spinner
The Night Spinner is another one of those hidden gems that performed better than expected. 2D6 shots at S7 AP Rend-lite and D2, it is actually quite deadly and you dont even need line of sight to shoot your weapon with an impressive range of 48" and at 155 pts. Don't underestimate this baby!

Note: If you are shooting at vehicles that are covered by ruins (at least 50%) from the night spinner, it still gets cover bonus of +1. However, Infantry only get this benefit if they are INSIDE cover. So if they are standing under a building is fully or partially covered by a building, they get no bonus whatsoever but the vehicle next to it gets cover. Weird? Yes it is...

Dark Reapers
They are awesome. Their 2 firing modes make them quite versatile. Heavy 2 S5 AP-2 D2 or Heavy 1 S8 AP-2 D3 is really damaging, especially when the entire unit shoots. They are very accurate too, needing a 3+ to hit at all times despite any modifiers except for overwatch. If everyone else have to hit at 5+, Dark Reapers still hit at 3+. AWESOME!

Having said that, they are fairly expensive. I played them in squads of 5. Furthermore, everyone knows how crazy deadly the Reapers are. Therefore, everybody and their grandmother are going to target their heavy weapons at the Dark Reapers and most likely kill them. Make no mistake, Dark Reapers are FRAGILE.

I'm gonna try running them in Wave Serpents to at least protect them from the Alpha strike so that they can take some time to neutralise or minimize the damage that will come their way later. Or i might even bring them forward along with my other elements to provide close fire support, although I think that this might be suicidal. Worth a try!!

Crimson Hunters
I was at first conned by their 2+ to hit stat only to remember that when they move (which they must), their weapon gets a -1 modifier. Their 2 bright lances and pulse gives you some much needed and realiable anti tank weaponry or hard to dislodge space marines that must be cleared from a ruin. Their reroll to wound against units that can FLY Is a nice icing on the cake. What makes this unit great is that it can get into position because of its speed. The Vector dancer like rules allows you to stay on the board and not be blocked. Like the Windriders, you can even position them to snipe enemy characters. Have a ball doing it!

Hemlock
These guys have improved a lot! Their weapons are heavy D3 auto hit weapons now but rolling 2 1s so far is NOT FUN. I've had the Hemlocks in almost all of my games so far and it's performed quite ok. Even after heavy damage, they still perform fairly well because of the auto-hit nature of its weapons. It's a psychic unit too! I would think Embolden/horrify would be the best combo for it but so far I've not been able to fully utilise this since I've been fighting a lot of vehicles, on top of the fact that whatever I shoot at most of the time dies completely to get its soulburst bonus.

The verdict on the Hemlock is still a head scratcher but I still have hope for its performance.

Wraith Knight
I've only used him once and it performed mediocre, but it's not a fair assessment of it because it was heavily damaged by 1st turn charge of Genestealers thanks to Swarmlord, and it was only my 2nd game. The 2 heavy wraithcanons are very deadly now against other high wound targets since you get 4 shots out of them now.

Other thoughts
Generally, I've found that the point increases for Eldar hurts Eldar quite a lot. I'm rather bitter by the fact that Eldar is being encouraged to sit still and shoot at full efficiency when in the past they are able to move and shoot everything fairly comfortably, which is really against the Eldar way of war. They had always been supposed to be very mobile shooting on the move. Was rather pissed off when a bunch of Imperial players suggested that you are "supposed" to sit still and shoot as it makes more sense to do so to be accurate. Such mon-keigh talk that know nothing about Eldar way of war!

I've found Psychic powers rather hard to rely upon now also because of the 50% failure rate. Chaos and other factions can cast some good powers at lower psychic costs. So much for Eldar being masters of psykers...

Finally, foot Eldar is just very very VERY hard to play. THey die in droves, which is so not the Eldar way of war. Some suggested using Eldar Guardians as meatshields... but such notions are so against Eldar way of fight. At the meantime, I find that a mechanized force for Eldar is the way to go for a competitive list with a fair balance between anti-horde and anti-mech weaponry.

That's it folks. My assessment thus far. Will have more games with different units to see how it works. Post your comments below on your thoughts and your own experiences!

Cheers

Offline EBomb

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
Great Job!  Thanks for sharing your observations so far.

I have 1 question about running Ynnari.  Do you think you can use the Avatar of Kahine, Drazhar or some Coven units along with some Ynnari units (but obviously not as Ynnari themselves)?  It appears there is no problem mixing Craftworld, Harlequin, and Coven units even in the same detachment by using the Key Word Aeldari.  However, the line about not using Coven etc. units in an Ynnari army makes me wonder if you can't mix in those in an army even though they all still have the key word Aeldari.  Personally, I think it is just saying which units can become Ynnari not which models can be on the table together.

I haven't had a chance to play a game yet.  Hopefully soon.  Looking over the rules though, it seems like a lot of Craftworld units are overpriced for what they can do.  It also seems like Soulburst is quite a bit stronger than Battlefocus.  I can't help but wonder if part of the points increase is for using the models with soulburst instead of battlefocus.

Some of the points costs seem really unusual.  As you mentioned Dire Avengers are too expensive.  Their power level 3 indicate they should cost less than a guardian defender unit not more.  Farseers on Jetbikes are crazy, almost 60 points to put him on a bike.  That is the cost of 2 whole other jetbike guys.  Warlocks are almost as bad at 50 points to put one on a bike, the bike costs more than the Warlock.  That make Autarchs seem almost reasonable at only 40 points until you remember that all of the bike upgrades were only a 15 point upgrade last edition and the bikes were much better (assault move, turbo boost, jink, and 3+ armor).  Combine that with the new psychic phase rules and there is no reason to attempt to run a jetseer council now.

Falcons appear to be about 40 points too much compared to the other tanks and the crimson hunter.  Wraithkinght is about 75 - 100 points too much compared to imperial knights.  Support weapons appear to be way overpriced (127 for a single D cannon) ouch!

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant at the end.  I'm just having a hard time putting together an army with the models that I like now.  Thanks again for the great rundown!

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:26:33 PM »
Great work!

Just on the windriders, they haven't been increased by as much as you think. They used to cost 17 for Shuriken Catapults, or 27 for scatter laser / shuriken cannon. Now they cost 30 for shuriken catapults which have been buffed, 32 for shuriken cannons and 35 for scatter lasers. So a slight points increase, seemingly in line with all the other Eldar things. Unfortunately I think that the shuriken cannon upgrade is obvious upgrade. because you have to pay for the twin catapults now, it is effectively only a 2 points upgrade to the cannon. This applies to all of the underslung weapons on our vehicles too. Yes the catapults now have 4 shots, but they are only 12" and Str4. The only target they will wound on the same roll as Str6 is T7.

The mathhammer I have been doing agrees with your experiences, as it does with the few games I have played. Crimson Hunters, Hemlocks, Nightspinners and Shuriken Cannon Windriders are some of the most points efficient options we have, and the wave serpent also seems a very good choice when it's defensive efficiency is taken into consideration.

Offline Shadenuat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 12:56:08 AM »
I'm gonna disagree on Night Spinner. Sure, it looks better than a Fire Prism, but it is prone to the same swingy results as any new "blast" wielding platforms out there. While it is the only spammy D2 weapon we have against W2 armies like bikes or better-marines, it is unreliable and doesn't even feature in-built solid AP - just rending which just adds to it's randomness factor. For it's price you can take 5 jetbikes with shuriken cannons which arguably would put out more fire power per turn. It is also a tank that shoots at 4+ on the move and even the idea of a fast tough gravtank sitting behind cover all day while other army suffers damage doesn't appeal to me.

Frankly, I think that Wave Serpent is the only reasonable main battle tank of the Eldar army. And because how Detachments work (1 dedicated transport per 1 ANY choice) you can take almost as many of those as you want, even if it's not an elegant way of using a transport.

Offline Pdogg

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
Great Job!  Thanks for sharing your observations so far.

I have 1 question about running Ynnari.  Do you think you can use the Avatar of Kahine, Drazhar or some Coven units along with some Ynnari units (but obviously not as Ynnari themselves)?  It appears there is no problem mixing Craftworld, Harlequin, and Coven units even in the same detachment by using the Key Word Aeldari.  However, the line about not using Coven etc. units in an Ynnari army makes me wonder if you can't mix in those in an army even though they all still have the key word Aeldari.  Personally, I think it is just saying which units can become Ynnari not which models can be on the table together.

I haven't had a chance to play a game yet.  Hopefully soon.  Looking over the rules though, it seems like a lot of Craftworld units are overpriced for what they can do.  It also seems like Soulburst is quite a bit stronger than Battlefocus.  I can't help but wonder if part of the points increase is for using the models with soulburst instead of battlefocus.

Some of the points costs seem really unusual.  As you mentioned Dire Avengers are too expensive.  Their power level 3 indicate they should cost less than a guardian defender unit not more.  Farseers on Jetbikes are crazy, almost 60 points to put him on a bike.  That is the cost of 2 whole other jetbike guys.  Warlocks are almost as bad at 50 points to put one on a bike, the bike costs more than the Warlock.  That make Autarchs seem almost reasonable at only 40 points until you remember that all of the bike upgrades were only a 15 point upgrade last edition and the bikes were much better (assault move, turbo boost, jink, and 3+ armor).  Combine that with the new psychic phase rules and there is no reason to attempt to run a jetseer council now.

Falcons appear to be about 40 points too much compared to the other tanks and the crimson hunter.  Wraithkinght is about 75 - 100 points too much compared to imperial knights.  Support weapons appear to be way overpriced (127 for a single D cannon) ouch!

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant at the end.  I'm just having a hard time putting together an army with the models that I like now.  Thanks again for the great rundown!

I was wondering the same thing with the avatar. They mentioned early on in rules talks that an imperial player could bring basically any unit from all of the factions in the imperial army. Even if i had to make a separate fast attack detachment with say Avatar and 3 vipers separate(vipers with Sh Cannons do benefit well from battle focus) to give myself a craft world detachment id do that. Cause then i could run my fearless blobs of guardians with them benefiting from power from pain.

It almost feels like cheese but from what i read its perfectly legal and eldar is no longer the cheese army so we need to find these little interactions to make us viable. The guardians benefit alot more from strength from death than they do battle focus because i like them with heavy weapons not shurikin cannons.

Online Morollan

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 02:59:36 AM »

I've had this debate and I originally thought that you could take other, non-Ynnari units, as long as they weren't Coven, Drazhar, Avatar etc. But I've been convinced that this is not the case. Once you include any Ynnari units in an Aeldari army, any other Aeldari units that are included in the army are automatically made into Ynnari. So, bizarrely, the faction that is trying to unite all the Aeldari cannot actually fight alongside them!

Offline Pdogg

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »

I've had this debate and I originally thought that you could take other, non-Ynnari units, as long as they weren't Coven, Drazhar, Avatar etc. But I've been convinced that this is not the case. Once you include any Ynnari units in an Aeldari army, any other Aeldari units that are included in the army are automatically made into Ynnari. So, bizarrely, the faction that is trying to unite all the Aeldari cannot actually fight alongside them!

I think a FAQ would be needed, as unfluffy as it sounds It seems like its possible. It says any model can be part of a ynnari army with the exception of those models. It does not say when any part of your army is ynarri that all of the detachments need to be ynnari. I've seen a batrep where guy uses ynnari for one detachment and harliquin for another to have the harlies keep rising crescendo, if thats legal than im assuming a craftworld detachment would be alowed but they wouldn't gain the strength from death special rule of course. 

Offline Shadenuat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 03:57:50 PM »
I've seen a batrep where guy uses ynnari for one detachment and harliquin for another to have the harlies keep rising crescendo
There are also BRs where people forget to use half of the rules of their own army, so it's not surprising people try to play Ynnari not as they are intended to play and bend the rules how they want them to be. It's clearly by the rules, especially if you add up Battle Forged section of RB and other rules for Ynnari to be played with 1 special rule (SfD) and all units in Army, regardless of detachment they belong to would have that rule instead others. Their wording is unique compared to other Factions that way.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:00:22 PM by Shadenuat »

Offline EBomb

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 10:55:40 AM »
I've seen a batrep where guy uses ynnari for one detachment and harliquin for another to have the harlies keep rising crescendo
There are also BRs where people forget to use half of the rules of their own army, so it's not surprising people try to play Ynnari not as they are intended to play and bend the rules how they want them to be. It's clearly by the rules, especially if you add up Battle Forged section of RB and other rules for Ynnari to be played with 1 special rule (SfD) and all units in Army, regardless of detachment they belong to would have that rule instead others. Their wording is unique compared to other Factions that way.

I don't think it is clear at all.  If you took an Aeldari army instead of an Ynnari army you only need to have the Aeldari Keyword in common and the Ynnari still have the Aeldari keyword.  In that case it seems like you could include Ynnari, Harlequins, Craftworld, and Coven all in the same army though only those taken as Ynnari would get the strength from death rule.  It is just another example of poor wording by GW than can only be cleared up by FAQ.

Offline EBomb

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
 :o That was a super fast Errata.  It looks like they didn't intend to restrict an Ynnari Army completely.  Any Aeldari unit, not including the exceptions, can become Ynnari and gain the Ynnari keyword and Strength from death.  However, if you take a detachment with any Ynnari in it, all other units in the detachment must have the Ynnari keyword.  Problem solved, take an Ynnari detachment and if you want Craftworlders or Coven etc. just take another detachment.

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/40K_8th_ed_Update_Index_Xenos_1_ver_1.0.pdf

Online Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 10:42:07 PM »
:o That was a super fast Errata.  It looks like they didn't intend to restrict an Ynnari Army completely.  Any Aeldari unit, not including the exceptions, can become Ynnari and gain the Ynnari keyword and Strength from death.  However, if you take a detachment with any Ynnari in it, all other units in the detachment must have the Ynnari keyword.  Problem solved, take an Ynnari detachment and if you want Craftworlders or Coven etc. just take another detachment.

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/40K_8th_ed_Update_Index_Xenos_1_ver_1.0.pdf

Hey thanks! We were talking about this in my place as well and because the original wording stated "ARMY", we couldn't do the mix and matching. Now with the new errata wording, this allows Coven units to be part of the army, just not the same detachment. This can have some interesting implications.

Ebomb: You are right. Wind Rider price difference not much.

Otherwise, thanks for all your comments thus far. Will update this thread later on as I've used some new units here and there. What about you guys? What are your experiences with the units like? It would be great to hear from you! That way, it'll also help open up some possibilities for me to try units I would probably have never even considered.

Offline Shadenuat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 12:10:13 PM »
I find it amusing you can get Avatar of Khaine in one detachment and ynnari infantry in another and still use him in Ynnary army... even if it makes no goddamn sense.

Offline Pdogg

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 02:53:59 PM »
Ill take it though, after the nerf to star cannons(likely was never supposed to be 3 damage but still was never OP) we get a bone thrown here.

I plan on running ynnari guardian blobs now with avatar and likely 3 war walkers in a separate detachment.

Online Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 12:19:18 AM »
Ill take it though, after the nerf to star cannons(likely was never supposed to be 3 damage but still was never OP) we get a bone thrown here.

I plan on running ynnari guardian blobs now with avatar and likely 3 war walkers in a separate detachment.

You can use the spearhead detachment and run the Avatar with 3 war walkers. You get 1 CP and your War Walkers can benefit from Battlefocus, since the get no benefit from Strength From Death.

As for Starcanons, it's too expensive and the D3 damage makes it even more unusable. It's only 2 shots, Str 6 and it's heavy. Imperium plasma is far far FAR better. They are plasma tech masters now compared to Aeldari.