Author Topic: Thoughts on 8th Edition Aeldari/Ynnari  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Pdogg

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on 8th Edition Aeldari/Ynnari
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »
Spearhead is exactly what i was thinking, there is another one with 1 HQ and 3 fast attacks that works well if you run vipers there as well.

They just gave some info about the upcoming codexes today on the warhammer community site. Heres hoping we get some of our wishlist items like cheaper falcons/dire avengers, a tweak to battlefocus to make running heavy weapons such a detriment (i would be happy with no modifier when moving normal and -1 if we advance) that way it shows the mobility of the eldar grav platforms(although they would need to give grav tanks battlefocus to help them be more mobile).

Offline Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 10:38:32 PM »
Hey all you Aeldari players. Here are some updates on my latest games with new units:

Fuegan

Tried him out just for fun and found that he is a bit lacklustre. One of the main reasons you would want to bring him is to give the Fire Dragons around him a reroll of 1. If this is your primary reason, you're better of bringing an Autarch instead. It's far cheaper and it benefits all Asuryani units, not just Fire Dragons.

He is quite the close combat monster after suffering a wound (+2 strength and attack) and is fairly tough with the 5+ to ignore wounds rule. However like all Phoenix Lords except Asurmen, he suffers from a lack of invulnerable save. This would not be that big a problem if he charged first most of the time as you'd want him to charge other characters but if you're fighting Genestealers, you'd better be sure that you kill them all off, otherwise you're gonna have trouble keeping him alive.

Otherwise, I feel that Fuegan is a little lacklustre for his points. His buff is nothing to shout out about and his combat prowess is just above average. Not really worth the points IMO. Otherwise, fun to play with.

Harlequin Troupe
Naked, they cost the same as Banshees but after upgrades, they can be in the 22 pts price range. So far, I've equipped them mostly with Embraces and Carress. The Kisses are too exp just for that D3 damage compared to the Embrace I feel but at the moment I equipped my squad with at least one kiss just in case. This treatment is a bit sad given that the Kisses are the signature weapons of the Harlequins.

I find the Neuro Disruptor pointless to have. Sure it  has high damage and AP but the S3 is a big turn off for such an expensive weapon. I'd be better off using the Fusion Pistol. It has a shorter range but a far higher strength, AP and damage value. Therefore, paying 1 point less is so worth it. If you put the Troupe into a Starweaver transport, getting into 3" of a vehicle is quite easy due to your speed and ability to shoot out of the transport. So you got a pretty mobile fusion weapon in the form of troupes in Star Weavers.

I only played the clowns once so far and they hit surprisingly hard. The weapon upgrades almost ensure most units will die with S4/S5 with -1 or -3 modifiers. Having 4 attacks each makes it all the more devastating to engage these clowns in a fight. Having 4++ save, an upgrade from their usual 5++ is a big boon for them but don't expect them to survive bolter rounds in the face. They are still fragile as heck to the point that taking overwatch shots can be very devastating.

What I did was to charge my Starweaver into the squad I intend to charge to soak up all the overwatch fire before I charge the clowns in. They die to Flamers very easily.... so becareful when dealing with flamer heavy armies. and becareful of heavy invul save units too (eg. Wraiths and Assault Terminators). Your high number of attacks and negative AP will count for little against them.

Between the banshees and clowns? I find the clowns hit far harder but have smaller unit sizes (and therefore lesser wounds to distribute around). They could be somewhat cheaper however because of their cheaper transport/delivery system.

Troupe Master

Only reason to have him is to buff your Harlequin units around him and it's almost mandatory to have him. S4 and S5 is nothing to really shout about and that reroll will really ensure what you hit will almost certainly die. I equipped him with a fusion pistol and caress and he did quite well otherwise. Pair him up with a solitaire, and you got quite a combination. If you're playing any Clowns, it's almost mandatory to have a Troupe Master with him.

Solitaire

At first look, I kinda felt that his damage output rather lacklustre. Sure he has 8 attacks that hit on 2+ but having weapons that are only S5 AP-2 and S4 AP-1 D3 damage makes it rather lacklustre. May not be as great as I thought as it's still only S4 and S5. In the 2 games i used him so far, he murdered characters (including Chaos Lords) with his high number of attacks and the S5 makes it quite useful against Power armour, wounding on 3s. Even with just 1 damage per attack, it is still quite a lot if you accumulate it together.

However when I charged the Wraiths, it performed horribly. Not even a single unsaved wounds (telling me that the Wraiths are super duper tanky and should be avoided at all costs from combat...).

At the moment, the verdict is still up for Solitaire. I not sure if he is worth his point or even worth a place in an army yet.

Starweaver

I find that the Starweaver generally got an upgrade with its flat 4++ invul saves. THe mirage launchers are also an upgrade with a -1 to hit against it, making the Starweaver not too easy to kill off. Its 16" movement coupled with the clown's natural high movement rate makes it easy to enter combat by the 2nd turn. Being open topped further allows your clowns to fire their fusion pistols into transports for that extra kick and open it up to be ready for the charge by the next turn. 2 Shuriken Canons as weapons is icing on the cake.

Pretty solid choice for your clowns to ride in. Too bad your Aeldari units cannot ride it...

Swooping hawks

I never actually used this unit but I feel the need to mention it. Complete and utter disappointment. No more haywire grenades. The lasblaster becoming Rapid fire 2 is a mixed bag. The SH Grenade pack is just seriously pathetic. It's meant to throw grenades into enemy packs and deal damage to enemy hordes like how grenades should work. But now, if you fly over an enemy unit, you roll a D6 for each model in the unit, to the maximum of the number of Swooping Hawks you have. On a 6, it's 1 mortal wound. That to me, is not only a remote chance but really not worth the effort at all to perform. If you an roll 1 D6 for each Hawk you own, regardless of enemy model count, then it might be worth using. Otherwise just trying to get a mortal wound on normal rank and file troops, it's really too remote a chance to get 6 and in sufficient quantities to warrant the effort put in.

Therefore... I give this unit a major pass.

hope you guys enjoy the update!

Offline Shadenuat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 12:59:40 PM »
I played Hawks in 2000 pts game against Necrons. They brought their points back - 173 pts killed about 250-300 pts of necron swarms, which, together with stuff like conscripts is their ideal target. They probably could have killed 400+ points of swarms or even more if I targeted those right away instead of other units and played better.

However, they had:
- Doom
- Autarch with wings to re-roll 1's (although other units used that too in a bubble)
- Soulburst which itself is like 200% force multiplier

If there are no T3 enemies around, Hawks don't have much to do in combat, you'd better having 20 guardians instead. Their fly-over ability is almost impossible to pull off if enemy put at least some thought at placing his units on the table and can kill T3 4+ elfs in melee.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:04:36 PM by Shadenuat »

Offline Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 10:35:49 PM »
Hey Guys

Just for more opinion from you guys, how have you guys thought of the 8th Edition Aeldari thus far? As a whole, I just find our hitting power is too lacking compared to our staying power. In many respects, I find that I am unable to pump out enough damage unless I use soulburst to the maximum. If I am dealing with very tough units, that makes soul burst less effective because of less people dying.

But all in all, I do not want to rely on the soulburst mechanic to win games as it's more of a bonus (esp since Asuryani don't have Soulburst). Somehow, i feel that soulburst is the only thing keeping the Ynnari alive and kicking.  Perhaps not because of individual units per say but perhaps because of the very expensive point costing and odd point imbalance as a whole.

What do you guys think?

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
There are three things that I feel are a problem with Asuryani this edition:

• Our units are too expensive. A large number of our units received points increases and are now very expensive for what they can do.
  • The new rules for moving and shooting heavy weapons is a heavy nerf to us, while at the same time being a buff to many others. Any one who was previously unable to move and shoot heavy weapons now can which is a bonus, but for us who could always do it on our jetbikes, tanks and monsters it is a big nerf as we are designed for movement so sitting still is sub optimal,
     and moving means -1 to hit.
  • Losing a lot of our movement abilities, battle focus, assault phase movement also hurt. To me that was the defining ability of the eldar army.

I wouldn't say that Aeldari as a whole are suffering, Dark Eldar seem to be in an ok place, and Harlequins are feeling pretty good from what I have seen. Ynnari seems to be keeping the Asuryani alive at the moment though it remains to be seen how well people adapt to playing against soulburst.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:38:44 AM by Odras »

Offline Shadenuat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 08:51:16 PM »
Yeah, Soulburst feels like a crutch to keep army afloat when facing competetive things. But it's possible to play pure Craftworld army too, you'll just have to pick most effective units. Soulburst is like 200% force multiplier, and allows even mediocre and overpriced units to do well.