Author Topic: We seem pretty ok in 8th  (Read 949 times)

Offline Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
We seem pretty ok in 8th
« on: June 24, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
With how Acts of faith work and getting free shooting with my heavy bolter retributers has been pretty great/cheap in the few games I have casually played of 8th.

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Re: We seem pretty ok in 8th
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
I've not had chance to really look at their rules but there is a lot of chatter from players who feel that Sisters still didn't get their due.  I think they they are in the same boat as every other army and that is that they are basic until they get their own proper codex where GW can expand the rules.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Leftovers44

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 01:54:26 AM »
To me they seem rather fantastic right now, since you can get up to 3 acts of faith a turn which is just mostly free shooting or movement. In rare cases it can be used for healing and hardly for assaults besides maybe Penitent engine heavy lists but sadly those got pretty expensive. All the normal sisters troops with just a bolter are 9 points so we have cheaper than space marine platforms for guns and besides being worse at CC and slightly less survivable than the normal space marine they still shoot just as well as them.

Sadly the priests are much worse and kinda not worth their points anymore for me at least, but you can double stuff rhinos and get 2 combi, 2 special, and 2 heavy weapons in it with two battle sister squads which is pretty nice. Seraphim are kinda silly now with duel hand flamers and bolt pistols firing into a CC they are stuck in up to two times before they get to fight again and deepstrike has zero risks to it making them a lot better.

Exorcists got a 35 point increase but are pretty much the same as always, arguably a bit less of an auto include since anything can hurt anything. Cannones's offer up a rerolling 1's to hit around her so she can make a unit better at shooting like heavy bolters or exorcists around her which is nice.

Also technically Celestine isn't a unique character right now and you can take as many as you have hq slots for even more act's of faith with no 2+ or 4+ rolls and it even can effect sister vehicles like the exorcist. It is also really hard to kill her because if you don't kill her and her 2 gemni she can just be brought back with act of faith, and besides that she still gets back up the first time she is slain on a +2 with full wounds and start bringing back her bodyguards.

The only thing a true codex might add is more to do with the Order stuff which basically just seems like how i believe the chapter stuff works where if you are blood angels or iron hands you get +1 attacks. We would most likely still share the same book as the rest of the imperial agents so not really getting any major changes like new units and just mostly points being shifted around.
But I kinda hope that they add in more Saints for the different sister orders like in the dawn of war apocalypse mod or just other special Cannoness's like Veridyan who doesn't have a spot in the Index right now which bugs me a little.

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 01:27:34 AM »
Had my first game the other day wth Sisters in 8th, 1500 pts vs Space marines.

1500pts
----------
Elite choice: Vindicare Assassin

Outrider Detachment
-----------------------
HQ
Cannoness - No upgrades

Fast attack x 3

Dominion squad
Superior - Combi-melta
4 x Dominion with melta guns

Transport: Repressor

Dominion squad
Superior - Combi-melta
4 x Dominion with melta guns

Transport: Repressor

Seraphim squad
Superior - Plasma Pistol, Powersword
2 x superior with inferno pistols
2 x seraphim

Spearhead Detachment

HQ
Celestine + 2 geminis

Elite
1 x imagifier

Elites x 3
Exorcist with storm bolter

2 x Penitent Engines

Retributer Squad
superior - stock
4 x retributer with 4 heavy bolters

----------------------------------------------------
Tactics
----------------------------------------------------

First the result: I tabled the Space marine opponent (Lysander, tactical squad in rhino, interessors, centurians, scouts, librarian, landraider)

Tactics of the army:

First, the army is really split up into 2 sections

Section 1: Fire support

Exorcist + imagifier
Canonness
Retributer Squad

Role: Army wide 2+ Act of faith is on Retributers to fire, then fire again in their normal shooting phase for 24 points (not bad for an 85 pt unit)

4+ Act of faith is used by the Imagifier to (RAW) act on the Exorcist to fire, then fire again in its shooting phase (less reliable, but when it works is great)

Canonness: Gives a reroll 1's to both Retributers and Exorcist :-)

Section 2: Assault force

Seraphim squad
Celestine
2 x dominion squads in repressors
2 x penitent engines

Role: This worked AMAZING!!!!
Step 1:

Dominion squads:  Even if they go first, Repressors move forward 12" before the game begins into cover orinto assault depending on if you win first turn or not. If you win first turn, you move forward 12", then in your movement phase, move forward 12" and melta anything in 12" range. This gives your dominions a 36" threat range. It took both repressors, but 10 melta shots took the Landraider down to 1 wound (retributer squad finished off the landraider with 1 wound left)

In this game, however, I didnt win first turn, so they moved forward with their pre-game move into LOS blocking terrain, then use same tactic above.

Celestine: Used her act of faith to move forward 12", then she moved forward 12" and assaulted the Intercessors (wiped them out). I used the warlord trait that gave her an act of faith whenever she charges.

The penitent engines moved forward with Celestine in the middle and flamed the librarian and scouts and seraphim to assault  the middle of the board. With their range, Celestine kept the focus on her while the Penitent engines did their work.

... and man... did they do the business! 4 Heavy flamers and 8 attacks in assault meant they owned anythng they charged. No unit made it (even lysander) passed the first round for them to try their 4+ attack ability.

Everyone at the club went.. whoo watch for them in future...

Army had: 3 acts of faith, double shooting retributers and exorcists rerolling on 1's and and large assault force that had both the jump, toughness and flamers to hurst bad.