Author Topic: Thoughts on Wraithguard in 8th Edition  (Read 767 times)

Offline papagumdrop74

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Wraithguard in 8th Edition
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »
I am currently building an Iyanden Army for 8th Edition and am planning on running 3 units of Wraithguard, mounted in Wave Serpents as the core of the force. What loadout looks the best for Wraithguard so far? I am still building the whole force, bought all 2k points brand new so I haven't played any games yet. I am horrible at magnetizing so would love to have something I could just build them as instead of going that route. I was thinking one unit with a Spiritseer and Forces Axes and Shields, then the other two with either wraithcannons or D-Scythes.

Are the Axes worth it for the surviveability or do the cannons or scythes just out do them. I look at the dmg charts on 3++ is the new black, but they had not modeled out the Axes, just the ranged weapons. For total army comparison here is a quick summary of my list minus the details:

Farseer
Spiritseer
3 units of 10 Guardians
3 units of 5 Wraithguard
3 Wave Serpents
1 Wraithlord
1 Hemlock Wraithfighter

Thanks!

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Wraithguard in 8th Edition
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:09:53 PM »
T3   T4   T4   T4   T5   T5   T6   T7   T8   T8
5+   6+   3+   3+   2+   4+   4+   3+   3+   2+
1W   1W   1W   2W   5W   6W   12W   8W   12W   16W

0.83   0.67   0.56   0.93   0.89   1.33   1.33   0.83   0.56   0.44

I have modelled the Axe in the Eldar spreadsheet if you are interested.

My thoughts are that while yes the axe and shield combo has a massive survivability boost, it has a damage output decrease in most circumstances and it is a massive increase in points cost. The Axe + Shield costs nearly 4 times what the swords do.

Offline papagumdrop74

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 05:47:23 PM »
Great info, thanks a bunch. Good to have some numbers for comparison.

Offline Pdogg

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 07:24:28 AM »
I dont really use wraithblades so i cant speak about them.

The guns though i think are now not a clear choice, I now prefer wraithcannons as the d6 damage is needed dealing with multi wound big monsters. I think you can do without wraithblades in a wraith army as even the guard have decent fists to hit with as well as the ability to leave combat and shoot is huge so you cant bog them down ever.