Author Topic: Thoughts on the Dark Angels in 8th  (Read 810 times)

Offline Quercus

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Thoughts on the Dark Angels in 8th
« on: July 01, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »
Greetings members of the Unforgiven.
It has been two weeks since we got our new rules and indexes, what are your impressions with the Dark Angels so far?
Just curious to what you think and if there have been any amazing moments or units that have been better than expected?

Best of luck Sons of the Lion.
Repent! For tomorrow you die

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
  • A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Dark Angels in 8th
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 06:48:15 PM »
I really love the Dark Angels this edition. For their biggest selling point, their characters, and the wings. The Ravenwing and Deathwing are amazing and as heretical as it may sound I am glad the Ravenwing are not as cheesey as last edition as now I see a variety in Dark Angel lists not just Ravenwing spam. However I hope to see relics return as most were great last edition, and I am a little disappointed in the loss of full BS overwatch, as greenwing was my main army last edition.

I just had an amazing moment today actually, I had Ezekiel fighting an already wounded Watch Master in combat, the Watcher master hit and wounded 4 times on Ezekiel, I took my invulnerable saves and unfortunately failed them all. However what made this amazing was Ezekiel died in the fight phase, meaning his book of salvation effect activated on himself and he was able to make 1 more attack before dying, and he took the Watch Master down with him.

Another amazing moment was when I had Azrael fighting Calgar. Calgar had charged and he was already wounded from the Lion's Wrath and brought Azrael down to 3 wounds, from there Azrael attacked back and rolled 3 6s to wound! Then Calgar failed 2 of his invuln saves dealing 4 damage to him as I had rolled a 5 and 6 for the wounds and he halfs the damage he takes rounding up...Azrael beat Calgar. I have no regrets.

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 07:01:53 PM »
My regular opponent is Dark Angels and they have strong builds.  Greenwing led by Azrael with Darkshrouds; Belial, Interrogator Chaplains and Terminators does work and Ravenwing while gimped compared to 7th are still quality units.  In my experience though, I can walk all over any combination of the three but have to rely on luck if only one of the three are in play.  They don't buff each other well and need very different tactics, but at 2k of a single Company, they're quality. 

Greenwing is very good at traditional tactics with screen units, tanks with Invuls from Azrael, a ridiculous amount of ways to screw with your opponent's getting their shots to deal damage but because the clump is only as fast as the slowest unit, it's not as aggressive as some could hope.  But most armies with vehicles will have to stay still to even have a decent chance of hitting what the Darkshrouds protect.  Hitting on a 6+ from a Chimera or Leman Russ sponsons?  No thanks, I'll just stay put and struggle.

Deathwing don't have the true mobility but they can apply Turn 1 Deep Strike pressure with units that just won't friggin go down.  Force me to be reactionary instead of on the offensive, and that can quickly change the game.  If luck is on my side and the mission allows me to breakout and get mobile again, I usually can but it's not an easy task.  If luck is against me then I have to buckle down and fight it out, and of my armies only my Nids are unphased by 3++ Terminators since our weapons only have a -1 Rend normally anyway.  We have no downside compared to other more AP armies firing at Storm Shielded Terminators.  A unit of them, Chaplain, Ancient and Apothecary is friggin hard to put down, all piling out of a Crusader...  Very annoying to kill.  I've had them walk right through my Chaos and was only able to bring them down by Falling Back with four units that couldn't finish the job and blasting full bore with a Land Raider at the last Chaplain for Warlord and Game.  Nothing else was killing it.

Ravenwing is in my opinion the weakest of the three, but that's not saying they are actually weak.  Jink is dead now and Darkshrouds do that job better, but Plasma Talons are some serious pricks.  Against Vehicle armies they don't do that much but against infantry and occasional monsters, they wreck them.  Throw in some Melta Bikes and they get more Take All Comers but while they have the mobility, they don't have that much survivability.  Good targeting can put them down and the hate that Bikes get in regards to cover is pretty significant.  They can't toe-in a crater anymore.  It's far from impossible, but there's more unfavorable matchups.

Offline Quercus

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
It is very good now the wings are balanced with each other while there might not be as much synergy in the previous codices, it is to be expected with the temporary indexes.

I have had a lot of fun with my Deathwing army recently when I was facing Thousand Sons army, Magnus is very powerful (as he should be) took out a Deathwing squad in one turn on turn one, fortunately my Venerable Dreadnaught and a Land Raider Redeemer where close by with their shooting, and the assaults from the Redeemer and a squad of Deathwing Knights I got him down to 4 wounds, Frag assault launchers are very useful.Then had Belial and the Venerable Dreadnaught charge in to a 4 man Scarab Occult Terminators and wiped out the unit before they could hit back.
On the last turn I got my Deathwing Champion into combat with Ahriman. Ahriman killed him without losing any wounds, unfortunate when I needed the objective he controlled, great game, lots of fun. We have a rematch planned, The Lion vs Magnus, as and when the Lion returns.

In a different game the most unexpected moment was when my 3 Landspeeders survived and dealt a wound to a squad of Custodes in combat.

Thank you for the responses it is great to see Azrael vs Calgar being a close fight and not a whitewash, the variation of armies being used is great to see.
Sharkoutofwata it does sound that Dark Angels have their strengths but weakness that can be exploited.
I hope you continue to have as much fun as it sounds you are having.
Repent! For tomorrow you die