Author Topic: Space Wolves 8th Tourny 2k  (Read 1159 times)

Offline mccj1988

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Space Wolves 8th Tourny 2k
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:47:05 AM »
Hi guys, got my first tournament of 8th coming up and I was thinking of taking my Wolves, I'd love to get some input on this list  :)

Battalion Detachment (+3CP)

Bjorn the Fell-Handed (1) - 248pts
    1 Bjorn the Fell-Handed: Trueclaw,Assault cannon,Heavy flamer

Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf (1) - 110pts
    1 Wolf Guard Battle Leader: Frag and Krak grenades,Pair of wolf claws

Rune Priest on Bike (1) - 123pts
    1 Rune Priest: Runic sword,Bolt pistol,Twin boltgun

Grey Hunters (6) - 102pts
    1 Grey Hunter Pack Leader: Frag and Krak grenades,Boltgun,Bolt pistol,Power axe
    1 Grey Hunter: Frag and Krak grenades,Plasma gun,Bolt pistol,Chainsword
    3 Grey Hunter: Frag and Krak grenades,Boltgun,Bolt pistol,Chainsword
    1 Grey Hunter: Frag and Krak grenades,Boltgun,Bolt pistol

Grey Hunters (5) - 88pts

Grey Hunters (5) - 88pts

Murderfang (1) - 200pts
    1 Murderfang: Murderclaws,Storm bolter,Heavy flamer

Thunderwolf Cavalry (5) - 260pts
    1 Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Storm shield,Thunder hammer
    4 Thunderwolf Cavalry: Bolt pistol,Chainsword

Land Speeders (3) - 420pts
    3 Land Speeder: Heavy bolter,Typhoon missile launcher

Stormwolf (1) - 353pts
    1 Stormwolf: Two lascannons,Two twin multi-meltas,Twin helfrost cannon

Tactics:
The Thunderwolves lead the charge, soaking up firepower with the characters following behind (including Murderfang, who is a character Dread) Bjorn and Murderfang have movement of 8'' so wont be far behind the cavalry. Bjorn gives re-rolls to hit of 1 within 6'', the Battle Leader on wolf gives re-rolls to wound of 1 within 6'', the Priest can cast Stormcaller on the Thunderwolves, giving them +1 armour, and using Smite.

The 3 Grey Hunter Squads all ride together in the Stormwolf, which can fly around shooting vehicles with its 8 high strength, D6 damage shots,  and dropping the guys off on objectives.

The Speeders can sit on a back field objective providing more ranged support, or follow the deathstar and try to benefit from the aura abilities.

Currently sat on 1992 points, or 1996 if i give Bjorn the helfrost cannon instead of the Assault cannon. He also gives +1 CP which is nice

Thanks for reading  :)

Online Celerior

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wolves 8th Tourny 2k
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 07:13:27 PM »
Two things I don't like, one thing I really do.

Seems light on model mass. I've faced Tyranids' turn 1 charge. This army is slower, and will take a round of firepower before it hits. And it will suffer as a result.

I don't think thunderwolf cavalry are as good as they used to be, unfortunately. They look great, and I loved the presence they had last edition. Facing them always sent a bit of fear through me, even if I knew exactly what I was going to do with them.

But unfortunately T5 with multiple wounds isn't what it used to be. About 20% of the time that a marine with a missile launcher fires at a thunderwolf model, it'll one-shot that model. Whoa. An opponent's army should be able to take down your spearhead before it hits.

The stormwolf, on the other hand... I approve. Flyers are a tough nut to crack, and using them to deliver units that can deliver both shooting and assault value is just right! And folks inside take much less damage these days when they crash. If you have another flyer, I'd say do it twice!

Offline mccj1988

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply, I ended up dropping the cavalry but taking harald and canis together which was fun as harald has a 2+save against shooting  :)

Online Celerior

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »
So... how did it go? What else performed well? What performed poorly?

Offline mccj1988

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
The actual list looked something like this:

Harald Deathwolf
Canis Wolfborn
Bjorn-Twin Lascannon

Grey Hunters x11
Grey Hunters x11
Blood Claws x11

Land Speeder Typhoons x3
Stormwolf
Lascannon Razorbacks x2

I had Bjorn giving rerolls of 1 to the typhoons and razorbacks, while simultaneously acting as a bodyguard for them. Grey hunter squads provided bubblewrapping.
The Stormwolf went round doing the usual, and dropping off Blood Claws where needed. Shame I couldnt afford the 2 twin multimeltas, but the heavy bolters where actually pretty handy.

Harald and Canis Rode up the flanks together, Harald absorbing huge amounts of firepower as i made him the warlord to make him more of a tempting target. They made short work of infantry and bikes.

My main problem with this list was that it has quite a few drops, leading me to go second in 2/3 games, putting me at a disadvantage. If i had smaller grey hunter squads, they could have started in the razorbacks. Also the Harald/Canis combo was fun but probably not the most efficient use of points. Harald can outflank on his own so i might try that in the future and go character hunting with him. You are right about stormwolves, they are great and i would get another one but i dont want to add any new models to my wolves right now.

Online Celerior

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »
Too many drops?!? My guard list for weekend after next's tournament has 38.
At least with the reroll on seizing the initiative, my odds of going first are about 30% each game.