Author Topic: How would you run blood angels now in 8th?  (Read 810 times)

Online Kvekan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
How would you run blood angels now in 8th?
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:17:56 AM »
I'm 20-ish games, mostly 1000-1500 points, into 8th edition now and have completely revised my thoughts on how 8th would play out.

Making assault armies that aren't horde variants (orcs, tyrannies) viable seems hard to me. In all my games the shooty elements of my list have done all the heavy lifting. This disturbs me to no end as I didn't choose to play blood angels back in 3rd to be some back field bullet slinger but feel more and more shoehorned into that play style.

How would you run Blood angels now in 8th? I think I need an entirely new angle.
"For those we cherish, we die in glory" ...And we die a lot.

Online Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
Re: How would you run blood angels now in 8th?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »
How have you been playing them previously and now?
  • Death Guard / Nurgle Daemons
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Remtek

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: How would you run blood angels now in 8th?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:51:39 PM »
I'm 20-ish games, mostly 1000-1500 points, into 8th edition now and have completely revised my thoughts on how 8th would play out.

Making assault armies that aren't horde variants (orcs, tyrannies) viable seems hard to me. In all my games the shooty elements of my list have done all the heavy lifting. This disturbs me to no end as I didn't choose to play blood angels back in 3rd to be some back field bullet slinger but feel more and more shoehorned into that play style.

How would you run Blood angels now in 8th? I think I need an entirely new angle.

I'm 10 games in and feel exactly the same way. Assault is a mixed bag. It's much easier to get into combat and you can move more freely now and stop multiple units from shooting easier. But if you want things to die in the assault phase you need to invest more. Thats why horde armies do so well, they gain a larger benefit of just disrupting other shooting units as they are more expendable when opponent falls back and returns fire.

Cover saves are much harder to get for non infantry units in 8th as well, making long range shooting support much more effective. Make sure you have enough terrain and los blocks to keep the game more dynamic!