Author Topic: Oh my godsh... Harlequins are the bomb!  (Read 4567 times)

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
Oh my godsh... Harlequins are the bomb!
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »
Ok my quick review of harlis playing with them... HELL YES!

My last game I took harlies with fusion pistols and caresses. 30pts a model is very expensive. But i found out, ALWAYS put them in a starweaver.. .always. But I can tell you I pulled off some amazing charges.

My Solitaire charged a 22" charge out of a vehicle... and murdered an opposing character, It was glorious!

I could be wrong, but I dont like sky weavers. only 3 attacks each isnt that much for what they are worth. I found in a 2000 point game, this is what id take. Keep it really easy and simple. The list may seem boring, but wow will it do damage.

Battalion formation +3 CP
HQ
1 x troupemaster (embrace, fusion pistol)

Troupes
5 x harlies (5 embraces, 2 fusion pistols)

Dedicated transports
Starweaver
Starweaver
Starweaver
Starweaver
Starweaver

Battalion formation +3 CP
HQ

Troupes

Elite
Solitaire

Dedicated transports
Starweaver
Starweaver
Starweaver

Tactics
---------
Are very simple. Charge up the board with your 4+ save... SWAMP 1/2 of their army. You have 7 vehicles which are very resilient and next turn, they all get out and deploy 3", move 8", Then they get to charge ONLY AFTER your starweaver has charged in the first.

I wreaked carnage with only 3 units of harlies doing this. I cant imagine 7 doing it. Very hurty!

Online Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Oh my godsh... Harlequins are the bomb!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »
I only played 2 squads in my last game with harlies and no doubt they hit very hard but they die very quickly as well. If you play against a flamer heavy opponent, your harlies will run into some problems. In your case, you're better off with playing a Harlequin army than a Ynnari army. The rising cresendo special rule will serve you very well.

I not too sure having all of them equipped with Embraces is very wise. I'd think some Carress in there would be great especially to deal with those T8 vehicles and walkers. Otherwise, you'll have some problems dealing with the heavy vehicles other than using the fusion pistols.

Try more games with it and see how they fare. Though the Starweavers are quite resilient, make no mistake that they are still paper planes. Don't overestimate their resilience. Do keep us updated on how they work!

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:37:21 PM »
Harlequins are definitely able to be used as a stand alone army now which is a massive step up from the previous edition. However they do still struggle against anything that auto hits, and what I have found is that while the 4+ invul save is better than the 5+ they used to have, it still doesn't keep them alive long once their transports are gone or you voluntarily disembark them.

I play a wraithguard based Ynnari army, and I have both played against a full Harlequin army and added a small detachment of harlequins to my army.

I found that my wraith army, with D-Scythes and Hemlocks was quite good at bringing down star weavers and the harlequins inside then died quite easily to shuriken cannon fire. When I added them to my army, I took 2 full squads with fusion pistols and only the base melee weapon, a troupe master and 3 starweavers. I found that they were better staying in their transport shooting out with the fusion pistols against the big things, and then using volume of attacks to take out small things when they eventually did charge although they didn't get too much of a chance to do that as they dies not long after getting out.

I agree with skyweavers being pretty poor at the moment.

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:58:34 PM »
I agree wholey about flamers. You must charge in with the starweaver first. Otherwise i was yea it wouldnt be pretty. But with 7 starweavers charging across the field focussing on half their army i wouldnt like to have to stop that at all.

Online Draco765

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »
Something that I have had great success with:

Battalion Detachment

Troupe Master: Harlequin's Caress, Prismatic Grenades, Shuriken Pistol
5x Player: Fusion Pistol, Harlequin's Embrace, Prismatic Grenades
Starweaver: 2x Shuriken Cannon

2x
Shadowseer: Hallucinogen Grenade Launcher, Miststave, Shuriken Pistol
5x Player: Fusion Pistol, Harlequin's Embrace, Prismatic Grenades

6x Player: Fusion Pistol, Harlequin's Embrace, Prismatic Grenades

Death Jester: Shrieker Cannon

2x
Skyweaver: Shuriken Cannon, Star Bolas
Skyweaver: Shuriken Cannon, Zephyrglaive
Skyweaver: Shuriken Cannon, Zephyrglaive

Troupes and Death Jesters stay in Starweavers for as long as needed using Fusion Pistols to kill any high W models. Shadowseer can use Hallucinogen Grenade at near by groups.

Death Jesters can harass Characters or spam lots of shots into hordes.

Skyweavers are just for speed harassment and grabbing odd far off objectives.

Online Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 07:38:08 PM »
Have your list dealt with 3 IK lists yet? It needs to be able to deal with those lists since 8th Ed makes 3 IKs very usable.

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 06:01:44 AM »
Ok, how about this list...

Essentially, it's 3 x battalion detachment that is identical and it has 9 Troupes with 5 starweavers. The army is fast, has a 4+ save and each troupe has a mix of embraces and caresses.

It has 6 Troupe masters with fusion guns and caresses, with so many attacks the idea is simply to overwhelm the enemy. Can it deal with 3 x Imperial Knight lists? Dunno, but it does have 12 Command points for those rerolls and I've been doing the numbers and as has been said, the more Caresses available in a squad will help to wound on 5's against those high toughness creatures. Saying that you aren't without fusion pistols hitting on 2's, from all those protected troupe masters and scouts will never wipe them all out (5 riding in star weavers anyway).

Anyway enough talk... check it out.

Harlequin Battalion detachment - 3CP

HQ
----
1 x Troupe master (Fusion pistol, Caress)

Troups
--------
1 x 5 man troupe (3 caress, 2 embrace)

Dedicated Transports
-------------------------
Starweaver
Starweaver
Starweaver

HQ
----

Troups
--------

Dedicated Transports
-------------------------
Starweaver
Starweaver

HQ
----

Troups
--------

Notes:
  • 5 x star weavers is your strike force to wrap up 1/2 of their army and put the pressure on
  • Is was a toss up whether a Shadowseer should be in there to aide movement, but this list is about bodies. Each troupe is only 114 points.
  • Can you imagine the troupe masters all ganging up on something? 5 Troup masters vs an imperial knight. They are going first anyway due to low model count, but you have so many units who do they shoot at? They can't shoot the troupe masters, you have them wrapped with your troupes. Who would win, 5-6 troup masters vs an imperial knight?
  • Not counting the troupe masters or vehicles, you only have 180 attacks - all at Str 4,
     -3 AP, 1 dmg, or Str 5, -2 AP, 1 dmg)
  • Obviously if playing for tactical objective missions, you have the bodies and the vehicles to get there and score points.
  • 5 x starweavers with shuriken cannons aren't pushovers anymore either
  • Ok sure, 4 units still have to run on foot. But they are fast, and who do you think they are going to be shooting at? the 5 starweavers shooting at them?
  • Lastly, im sorry i just dont think Skyweavers are worth it. Havent played them too much and im sure poeple will have some amazing stories with them, perhaps im wrong. But for only 3 attacks each id rather have extra bodies in this list. On average the 4 troupes will still be moving up the field 12" a turn... and as soon as they get close enough, those legendary charges with 12 reroll chances will help them get into combat.

There isnt any restrictions running the same detachments is there?
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:06:32 AM by mcphro »

Online Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
The mix is better but I think those that are moving in the Starweavers should carry fusion pistols as well for that extra punch. ONly 5 pistols in an army may really not be enough at all. Even with 5 troupe masters fighting an IK, it'll be more of a stalemate than anything else. Remember: You are wounding on rerollable 5s and it has a 5++ save with 24 wounds. Your caress and embraces only deal 1 damage each. You're gonna inflict 24 unsaved wounds to kill it. Having said that, it can fall back and shoot you to kingdom come before charging you again because it's titanic.

And against a 3 IK list, high chance you will NOT go first. He is only deploying 3 - 6 units. Your list need to at least deploy 9. That's the problem about MSU lists and as pointed out in a recent article, the alpha strike capabilities in the core rulebook is seriously crippling, especially on a fragile army like Harlequins.

But I do agree with you that the Skyweavers are really not worth it. Too expensive for what they do and their glaive is also just MEH.

Offline mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 12:09:31 AM »
Im glad that in my meta, I dont have many knights to face.

Only 1 or 2 single models here and there. I have to say in my last harlequin game, I couldnt believe how well they did.