Author Topic: proposed 1k guard list, help / critic needed  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
proposed 1k guard list, help / critic needed
« on: May 09, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »
Hey guys,

So you may or may not have seen i picked up some praetorian guard miniatures and I want to try to focus my purchasing so that I can build up a decent 1k list for my local games tournament group. I don't know all that much about guard but I'm proposing something along the following lines based on what I think would be cool. this brings me in at 920 points which leaves me with some room to play with for upgrades. Let me know what you think / where I'm going wrong.

HQ:
1 Lord Commissar,

Troops: Infantry Platoon
-4 Platoon Command Squad (Infantry; Assault Grenades; Flak Armour; Close Combat Weapon x4; Lasgun x4)
-1 Platoon Commander (Character; Assault Grenades; Flak Armour; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon; Junior Officer)
-1 Chimera (Vehicle (Tank, Transport); 12 model capacity; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Multi-Laser; Amphibious; Mobile Command Vehicle)
10 man infantry squad including heavy weapons team (lascannon) and Sergeant)
10 man infantry squad including heavy weapons team (lascannon) and Sergeant)

Veteran Squad
-9 Veteran Squad, 125 pts (Infantry; Assault Grenades; Flak Armour; Krak Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x9; Lasgun x9)
-1 Veteran Sergeant (Character; Assault Grenades; Flak Armour; Krak Grenades; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon)
-1 Chimera (Vehicle (Tank, Transport); 12 model capacity; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Turret Multi-Laser; Amphibious; Mobile Command Vehicle)

1 Aegis Defence Line withQuad-gun

Heavy Support:
1 Leman Russ Demolisher (Vehicle (Tank); Demolisher Siege Cannon; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Heavy Vehicle)

Fast Attack:
1 Hellhound (Vehicle (Fast, Tank); Inferno Cannon; Heavy Bolter)
1 Valkyrie (Vehicle (Flyer w/Hover mode, Transport); 12 model capacity; Extra Armour; Searchlight; Multilaser; Hellstrike Missiles x2; Skyfire)

Total Roster Cost: 920

Offline Johnboy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: proposed 1k guard list, help / critic needed
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:04:40 AM »
Not sure that I am able to offer much of value but would like to 'pitch in' anyway! ( Not found your army yet, point me in the right direction would you!)

7th due soon and who knows what that will bring! However, I think your list has a clear strategic 'focus' and am sure that it will carry over well!
Let me see if I have this right;
Quad gun manned by Lord Commissar in Aegis firebase with two infantry squads.
Mobile force of Demolisher supported by Vets and Hellhound.
Mobile platoon Command to support either as needed.
Valkyrie as extra anti-air and/or troop killer.

I would suggest you could do with some more 'grunts'!  Guardsmen die in great numbers in service to the Emperor! Not much that can be done about it, just a harsh reality of the 40K universe!
There used to be an unofficial 'rule' that two squads + one for luck per 500pts was the absolute minimum troop requirement and I think that still holds true! And that does not include Platoon Command squads.
As a minimum I would try to squeeze at least one more Infantry squad in there. Why? In any Guard list it is the Infantryman that will ultimately win you the game. He takes and holds ground, in sufficient numbers wins the war of attrition and his lasgun is mighty when used in sufficient numbers. Orders in the new Codex are versatile and powerful but you need sufficient troops to make use of them!

You are going to hate this, so apologies in advance!
Not sure why you have the Valkyrie!  Anti-air is provided by your Quad gun and Chimera Multi-Las guns can fire upwards! You have infantry killy in abundance! Your anti-armour is a little light I think, B.S 3 Lascannons always let me down but I don't personally think that a Valkyrie offers effective anti-armour value! It's Troop capacity is also wasted!

Wonder if you would consider dropping it and getting a Primaris Psyker ( for re-rolls to hit) and another Infantry squad instead? Still leaves you with enough points to scatter a few assault weapons or whatever around!

Just my two pennies worth!  Be interesting to see how you get on. Lots of luck! :)

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 07:14:07 AM »
Thanks for the input, not having to get a flyer is actually pretty cool so a suggestion for a list without it is great, I think the guard flyers are pretty ugly tbh.

My Praetorian collection at the moment isn't huge but it's a work in progress, these models are OOP so it will take a bit of time to find the right deals / mini's on ebay / gumtree etc.

I have 12 guardsmen, 3 sergeants, Lord Commisar and 3 heavy weapons teams, I also have 10 more guardsmen on their way so extra infantry wont be an issue / is probably preferable.

As these are all second hand i'll need to clean the paint off them and take them back to stock before I start painting them myself but here's a couple of pic's to give you an idea of what they are like.

Offline Johnboy

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 08:53:56 AM »
Nice, got to admit to being a little envious of your Praetorians, always loved the look of them and the whole concept of 'Victorians in space'! 8)
How you going to paint them up? Traditional red jacket, blue trousers and white pith helmets, or something different?
See you have three Heavy Bolters, hang on to them will you! Most people will tell you that currently they are our least preferred heavy weapon! However, against hoards of Orks and 'Nids I find them very useful, particularly in heavy weapon teams!

Glad to hear from someone who also is not a fan of Flyer's! Don't own any, don't want any and in my opinion they don't belong in 40K! >:(

To be honest, in a 1000pt game I think it unlikely that you will encounter more than one flyer, if that and while sometimes it will cause you problems, most often it has minimal effect on the game in my experience!

Good luck in your miniature hunt/army build, will be watching with interest!

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »
Yup traditions painting scheme with the red stripe down the side of the blue trousers too. def keeping the heavy bolters looking to pick up just the replacement heavy weapons if finding the actual praetorian heavy weapons teams proves too difficult.

I've not used flyers in any of my games yet, however I do have one for my eldar army and also a hell turkey for my chaos list but they are both sitting in boxes waiting for me to finish painting my eldar 1k list (without flyer)..... dont have one for my dark angels yet though and still on the fence about the clunky marine flyers if i'm honest.

I initially wasn't overly bothered about guard but I had the chance to pick up the praetorians and thought if i'm going to go guard then make sure it's with a special / unique looking force, hopefully i'll be able to do them justice. :D

Offline Packetboy

• Battle Brother
  • Get's Hot... Not anymore. Keep shooting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:22:40 PM »
I'm going to say one thing. Guardsman are great for one thing; not there number. But the slot for special weapon you open when you get guardsman in number. Get 10 flamer, 10 Grenade Luncher and 30 to 40 normal infantry and you will have a good foundation. If you want to expand you can add 6 to 8 melta and 6 to 8 plasma gun with an other 20 infantry and you will never worry about it anymore. For heavy weapons I would suggest a maximum of 8 when you get closer to 2000/2500 pts.

On the vehicules side, I would get second hand chimera and use the conversion pack sold on the internet to make them have wheel. After that it will be easier to swap chimera and taurox by simply changing the turret. At a 1000 pts 4 seems a good number to me.

For the other tanks I wouldn't go above one from each simply because your points are limited. But I could see 2 Wyverns. A chimera with a whirlwind turret would be perfect.

That's about it. That should provide you with enough models to play any combinaison you like.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:34:00 PM by Packetboy »
-INCOMING BARRAGE!
-Don't be afraid brothers. It will be a victorious day! Let's  face our enemies standing, with fire in our heart and... Kaboom
        Last word of the rebel leader on Axion 4