Author Topic: What kind of list do you think is the most fun and effective?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Merellin

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
What kind of list do you think is the most fun and effective?
« on: August 15, 2015, 05:27:36 AM »
So, the title may be a bit dumb but I was curious, i'm trying to build a guard army and I wanted to know what kind of list people think is the most fun and effective? I'm not asking whats the best, But what do you like the best? Do you prefer large platoons marching along and drowning the enemies in bodies and weight of fire? Do you prefer veterans in chimeras backed by artillery? Do you like the massed vehicle conquest?

Personaly, I dont realy know what I like best, I'm thinking maybe a mix.. I want a couple of platoons, Maybe some vets in chimeras, and then lots of vehicles as backup..

Offline Packetboy

• Battle Brother
  • Get's Hot... Not anymore. Keep shooting!
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of list do you think is the most fun and effective?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 11:52:28 PM »
Of course, I like artillery like no other. When I build a list I often find myself putting more blast weapons than needed. My legendary abilities to only roll ones can only be to my benefit when I only roll for scatter.
-INCOMING BARRAGE!
-Don't be afraid brothers. It will be a victorious day! Let's  face our enemies standing, with fire in our heart and... Kaboom
        Last word of the rebel leader on Axion 4

Offline SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:30:22 AM »
I love tanks.  Chimeras just look awesome, and look even better with an Autocannon on them.  And there's something very cinematic about a tank coming in with turrets blasting, two guys firing plasma from the hatch and three embedded Lasguns on the sides firing out.  Leman Russ Vanquishers for the long range tank killing, some other specialized armor thrown in because it looks good and some friggin Sentinels because everyone needs Chicken Walkers.  Throw in a Malcador Infernus or Baneblade for uber tank too.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 04:33:07 AM »
I love vet squads. As far as I'm concerned they have the biggest balls of any guardsman in the AM. They've spent enough time learning how to effectively aim a flashlight. They're the ones that will bring a building down on a genestealer cult, even if its a suicide mission.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline GummyofallBears

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »
infantry mostly.

and then take a ccs with the regimental advisors.

WE WILL DROWN THEM IN BLOOD

Offline Celerior

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 05:56:09 PM »
If you don't get bogged down yourself, I'm with Gummy. Russes are overpriced. Compared with rhinos, so is a chimera.

I'd put a plug in for allying with marines. Specifically, add a librarius conclave.
Look at it this way: Think of a librarian as a superior commissar: You attach him to a blob, and the blob never runs away and takes orders better. Only a librarian can detach, "look out sir"s better, is more survivable, and provides a significant psychic and assault upgrade. With the librarius conclave, it's absurd. If you have the points, take bikes for late game mobility.

And it gets even better when you consider the chapter tactics! You know how guardsmen don't like the assault? White scars tactics will give you ATSKNF and HIT AND RUN.

Offline Oneeye

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »
I find Elysian drop troops are fun, I don't win but to see your whole list deep strike mishap is funny.