Author Topic: 8th ed questions  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
8th ed questions
« on: June 22, 2017, 06:39:53 PM »
First set of 8th ed games at our club tonight and a couple questions came up that we couldn't find in the rulebook, so I guess we are being blind and missing something. Can anyone give us page numbers if we have please. Thanks.

1. Can you use psychic powers in combat? Initially we thought no but there is nothing in the psychic powers section to say one way or another.

2. Can you charge a unit you cannot see? The example was a unit behind a ruin wall. Nothing visible at all. Rules just say pick an eligible target.

Thanks.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: 8th ed questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:35:56 PM »
1) No restriction means no restriction.  Feels wrong to be able to, but I'm also not seeing any reason why you shouldn't be able to.  Looks like powers are okay to use at any time other than when in transports.

2) You can definitely charge units you can't see.  The Day 1 FAQ, Developer's Commentary or whatever they're calling it, specifically says that the intention is that you can.  Just keep in mind that only Infantry can pass through ruins walls and every other unit type has to go around them.

Offline Eryx_UK

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • March of the Damned
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
Thank you very much.
My Death Guard narrative blog: http://thedeathguard.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Captain David1026

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »
Can dreads still take two c c weapons

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:49:40 PM »
I answered that in your own thread yesterday.

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 05:11:15 AM »
I notised this thing last weekend while plaing that you can charge a unit you can't see but that target unit can't overwatch you cuz overwatch follows the rules for shooting which does require line of sight. So that can be exployted I belive... Or am I missing something?
For the Dark Gods!

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:15:29 AM »
That's correct.  The best example of taking advantage of this is the defender hiding their important unit in the corner of a ruin, hidden to all shooters.  The attacker can get a charge off there without risk because the wall is solid and no LOS can be made, but Infantry can pass through Ruin walls without penalty.  Makes it easier to hunt aura characters.

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 10:40:45 AM »
An interesting tactical consideration.

I see first hand this rule messing up games, and I think it is going to be one of those things in 8th that we need to keep in mind.

Makes sense no shooting but you can charge.

I've seen two live games so far where the opponent thought they couldn't be charged b/c it blocked LOS.
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline PepeTykki

• Battle Brother
  • Sanity is for the weak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 02:43:18 AM »
The same happened in my game. My opponent had two meganobz ontop of a building and i had my Chaos lord on the bottom. The charge distance was 9" (horisontally 3", vertically 4" + 2" from terrain). I sed that I'm going to charge and the first thing that comes up is that "can I without LOS?" so we check and I can. The next thing was the overwatch and I knew that it follows the same rules for shooting so I checked the LOS and I sed that "sry bruh... no can do..." and then we checked the rules again. All was well and I made the charge and wiped that unit of meganobz out in the following fight phase. Epic win for Chaos!
For the Dark Gods!