Author Topic: Ynnari question: Does anyone knows how soulburst works in weird situations?  (Read 1774 times)

Online Nebuchadnezzar

• Harlequin Scholar
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Guardian of the Black Library of Chaos
    • View Profile
I have a unit of harlequins and a troupe master in my ynnari detachment. The opponent has a unit of 10 models and charges to both units of mine. He selects as the target of 5 models the troupe master and the harlequin unit for the rest of them. He groups the attacks on the troupe master and kills him. Now I wand to soulburst with the harlequin troop. When this happens? Right after the death of the troupe master or after the resolve of all the attacks of the enemy unit? Additionally if I choose to make the attacks of the harlequins as an soulburst action and kill some of the enemy models that have the harlequins as a target, they lose their attacks or the opponent still has all the attacks that he had when he chose targets? In the same way if I choose to fall back as a soulburst action and manage to get away from the battle, the opponent makes his attacks or not?
I mastered the chaos in mind and soul.
I will kill you and with a beautiful laugh I will dance until I go mad.

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
There is some weird ordering now that is hard to get your head around in 8th edition. I have only encountered this in the shooting phase. A unit splits their fire and kills one of my units with the first part of their fire, I then soul burst and kill the unit that was shooting and they don't get to make the rest of their attacks.

I don't have the rule book with me at the moment, but from what my opponent and I read it meant that the attacks were resolved separately and therefore they were unable to make the rest of their attacks when they were dead, however it wasn't exactly clear and we did debate it for a while as neither of us had conclusive proof. From memory I believe it was because of the wording of soulburst and the phrase "The unit can immediately do one of the following..." that convinced us that it happened in between the attacks.

It would be great if we could get some clarification on how this works and if it does work the same in both the shooting phase and fight phase.

Edit: Another interesting situation. I kill an imperial knight that triggers it's explode on death and also triggers my soulburst on death. If I use my soulburst to move away and get out of range of the explosion what happens then? Do I suffer the effects of the explosion or not? I encountered this with a recent opponent and as the way they are written both effects are triggered on the death of the model and there is no clear answer. However we decided to play it as it does get affected by the explosion as it seemed more logical that the explosion happened at the same time as the start of the move.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:18:00 AM by Odras »

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
This seems like a question for e-mail or for GW's facebook page. I hear they answer quite promptly these days.
The Dance Without End Begins..

Online Nebuchadnezzar

• Harlequin Scholar
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
    • View Profile
I did ask them. their answer is in the new faq. You can make the soulburst action after all the models of the unit shoot or attack. soo.....

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Slightly different situation that I encounted in my most recent game. The Yncarne was in combat with one unit, it killed that unit with it's attacks and therefore triggered a soul burst on itself. The question I had was is does it consolidate it's 3" before or after it's soulburst action. This makes a difference because I had the opportunity to consolidate into another unit, and if I could soulburst after the consolidation then I could choose to do another fight phase with my soulburst action rather than having to charge again.

Additionally, when does the soulburst fight action occur in the priority order for fighting. If I have charged, and my opponent uses the interrupt stratagem, so normally it would be I attack with one unit and then they attack with another unit, what happens if with that first unit I kill something and trigger a soulburst action and choose to fight with that action, does this then go into the usual priority therefore allowing my opponent to attack with one of his units before the soulburst fight or do I make the soulburst attacks straight away.

Online Nebuchadnezzar

• Harlequin Scholar
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
    • View Profile
consolidation first, then soulburst. It's in tha faq. and yes you soulburst before the opponent chose a unit spending stratagems or anything. you soulburst right after the unit that kills something finishes its attacks.