Author Topic: Chapter Tactics  (Read 4945 times)

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
  • A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Tactics
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
A good theory brother. However if every Dark Angel could reroll 1s to hit that would be a little overpowered in my opinion. The losing only 1 guy from leadership I can understand however.

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 09:21:30 PM »
Losing only 1 from morale seems like a pretty decent version of Stubborn for 8th Edition.  I still think a lot of DA models will have a version of Fearless too though.  Greenwing core rule will probably be something to do with shooting I would think though.  If they keep it as an Overwatch mod I guess that would follow 6th and 7th ok but I definitely don't want it stipulated in remaining still.  Seems too weak compared to Ultramarines, Raven Guard, and White Scars.  GW really needs something in the First Legion to make players want to buy Primaris troops besides just being a two wound Tactical.  Otherwise it will be purely Deathwing and Ravenwing again.

Another interesting thing to watch out for of course but one other thing I think is likely is that Dark Angels won't see a book until after Christmas.  Could be a blessing in disguise if codex power creep doesn't start falling off for no reason.  As long as Eldar and IG don't receive any noticeable buffs from their indexes DA should then be in a good spot. 
Repent, for tomorrow you die.
http://rezial.blogspot.com/

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »
Brother Rezial, you have brought up a good point. Our "core" chapter tactic should be very unique compared to the others as we are the first legion, however I truly cannot think of anything other than maybe something involving plasma. We do have a bit of a plasma fetish. Perhaps something such as rolls of 1 with a plasma weapon just inflict a mortal wound instead of out right killing whoever is using it? However even that seems very lack luster as normally its 1 wound infantry that carry plasma to begin with and the bigger stuff like dreadnoughts already just take a mortal wound from it.

Actually perhaps we could have a rule where if you do roll a 1 for gets hot, roll the dice again and only on another 1 does that model suffer a mortal wound or die, however the shot still does not go off regardless of the reroll from this rule. However here is to hoping that gw actually comes up with something creative, fluffy and unique.

The fearless point brings something up however. Last edition almost every single one of our characters, named or not, were fearless. Which was great as whatever unit you stuck them in, were not going to run anytime soon. What in the Emperor's name does that do now. Nothing. How can we fix that?

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »
Well I have been re-reading a lot of Chapter lore this week and it seems to me the Dark Angels as a Legion were known for Strategic superiority, martial prowess, and being completely dauntless.  Based on those factors I could see them operating very similarly to Ultramarines on many levels but with specific traits affecting morale or leadership and close combat buffs for characters and hopefully Sergeants by extension.  This could take the form of stratagems in the new edition pretty easily.  The other buffs or unique features we get are the organization and wargear options unique to the First of course.  Outside of Grey Knights and some shenanigans with Lone Wolfs the Deathwing are still the best Terminators and the Ravenwing I think are better than White Scars even while we're still an index army.

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 08:55:21 PM »
I have also been reading some lore myself strangely enough. I picked up the Horus Heresy novel Angels of Caliban, I am about half way through the book and highly recommend it. During my time reading it, it occurred to me that perhaps we might see a return of the old wings with the return of our primarch and potentially a break from the codex astartes for many chapters.

I hope we get synergy back between the wings, as it stands it seems that just playing 1 wing at a time is the best bet, that is not how this army should work fluff wise. On the note about the Ultramarines, we are known for our tactical prowess and hopefully we get a warlord trait or something to reflect such. Perhaps a copy and paste of the get a command point back on a 5+.

Personally I wish interrogator's had a little more going for them as it stands, or a drop in points because they do not feel worth 90 points. Finally I cannot wait to see our new psychic powers, interromancy has always been the odd ball of psychic powers in my opinion, but a fun discipline none the less.

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 11:26:35 PM »
Brothers hold on for a moment...something just hit me, what if we get our old banners back as relics?!?!? I know it has nothing to do with chapter tactics but I thought I would share it because it seems like there is some potential there.

Offline Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »
Well the Ancients being separate I imagine there could be more than one option for banners as well as it being likely we could see a banner as a relic.  I was in a conversation with the owner of my local Warhammer store not long ago and even though he isn't allowed to speak directly of any foreknowledge he has he did hint at some things to me.  On the topic of the Lion returning he said not to get my hopes up.  He cited that since Forge World haven't made their Lion yet GW is unlikely to do so first.
 The direction of the conversation was that Russ was more likely unfortunately.  Also there are now rumors of an Angron model.  He did say that Dark Angels players should be excited for a story event in the spring though.  Couldn't get more than that for now.

I am assuming this could point to a lull in GW release of 40k at and around Christmas after which we may see a Codex in late winter or early spring.  One could still hope to see the Primarch but no telling now.

Chaplains are a tough one.  They work best for units that want to assault but traditionally Dark Angel tactics favor shooting slightly more.  My hope is to see that change and allow DA players a very strong assault unit option where Interrogators can shine.

Offline Nightwing7x

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 10:02:48 AM »
Here is to hopping that we called it brothers: http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/rumors-dark-angels-leaks-and-codex.html. If so we were spot on.