Author Topic: abandon suits (list)  (Read 618 times)

Offline Jawyvern

• Initiate
    • View Profile
abandon suits (list)
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:23:43 AM »
So looking at the index everyone can see Tau lost their mojo. But what's still viable? It seems the non suit units came out ok or better than before.
I designed a list that tries to do without them. I don't expect this will be a killer list, but it will give at least a 50-50 chance. I've put it in a brigade detachment to get those precious command points. Hopefully when the codex drops it will still be somewhat viable.
The backbone of the list is railhead tanks. Then there are layers of bubblewrap. Breacher squads, then a kroot crust. Drones to run interference, everything but the tanks are expendable and need to be deployed as such. For the greater good.
I'll write out the list and then comment after.
1996 pts (107PP)
HQ
Longstrike - hammerhead: railgun, 2 burst cannons
Darkstrider
Commander - 2 plasma rifles, Multi tracker, drone controller

Troops
Breacher team - 10 firewarriors
Breacher team - 10 firewarriors, guardian drone
Breacher team - 10 firewarriors
Carnivore squad - 10 kroot

Elite
Firesight marksmen
Firesight marksmen
Firesight marksmen

Fast Attack
Tac Drones - 4 gun drones
Tac Drones - 4 gun drones
Tac Drones - 4 marker drones
Vespid - 4 warriors

Heavy Support
Hammerhead - railgun, 2 burst cannons, 2 seeker missiles

So I expect this army will go second. Infantry and drones will deploy to block off deep strike and to intercept likely charging units. Most likely in a refused flank but depending on the mission/deployment. Cover and other concerns are secondary to a denial deployment. The breachers will at least get a 5+ inv from the guardian drone. The kroot are fodder.
The kroot can redeploy up to 7" and out of the deployment zone before the 1st player turn. So that's their use.
Darkstrider allows the breachers to fall back and shoot if they survive an assault. As well, he can target an enemy unit a turn so one breacher team can do better damage to T5 or T6 units, wounding on 3s or 4s.
The vespid deep strike to counter heavy weapon squads in yhr back field. The drones are there strictly to get in the way. Even the marker drones. I gave the commander a drone uplink to help them when lasing a target but otherwise I expect they will die quick. The marksmen will be the main spotters, and hopefully sit on objectives. They're characters and get +2 in cover.
Besides the buff to the drones, the Commander main use will be for Mont'ka redeployment so tanks don't suffer penalties. Or Kauyon for first turn re-rolls if don't need to move. Other than that he'll be johnny on the spot for some fire support.

The tanks blast any big threats like knights or land raiders. Against horde armies they can use their submunitions. As well hopefully can get 2 markerlights on target to launch theirseeker missiles effectively. Generally I prefer SMS over burst cannons but for the cost of the SMS I can take the seeker missiles and make it easier to take down some of these lords of war. Also I expect the enemy to close quickly unless facing a gunline. Even then there are usually assault units like ogryn.
With the bubble wrap hopefully can keep the plasma and melta far enough away to save the tanks. Lascannon heavy lists will be tricky but I expect 4-5 lascannon hits to take out one tank.

Offline NoMoshing

• Initiate
  • Painting < Gaming
    • View Profile
Re: abandon suits (list)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:05:05 AM »
Some C&C on your list

A) Why so many burst cannons on the tanks? Taking gun drones gives you just as many shots at same BS, S and AP, for four points less, and your drones might survive the tank's destruction. They are literally as good or better in every capacity. 24 extra points won't make a huge difference, but it's better than spending extra points to get something definitively worse.

B) Why so many Firesight Marksmen? Is it just to get the 3+ Markerlights? Their drone-buffing ability specifies Sniper Drones only, unless there's an errata I've not heard of. You're probably better off cashing them in for Pathfinders, because there's a better chance of overcoming the 3-4 markerlight hump that way and the Firesights are nowhere near as robust as that 2+ in cover makes them sound.

C) Why the Multi-tracker on the Commander? Is it just to save points? You'll probably do more damage with three plasma rifles.
Painted/Aseembled:
T'au Empire: 256/3152
Adeptus Mechanicus: 0/303
Seraphon: 0/612