Author Topic: Fuzzy rule writing  (Read 810 times)

Offline Celerior

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Fuzzy rule writing
« on: October 09, 2017, 05:57:35 AM »
My reading of the guard codex indicates that as long as one of your detachments is all one regiment, you can have another detachment with all sorts of guard bits and pieces, and still have access to the stratagems. Why would anyone do that? Well, astra militarum guys from an "imperium" detachment may not get the regimental bonus (to range, casualties, whatever) but they WOULD have access to the appropriate stratagems and orders.

What I'm saying is I think it's legal to outflank 3 Tallarn units while ordering your Mordian infantry to form firing squads and then send in the next wave of valhallan conscripts, all while your detachment of catachan artillery rerolls its dice for number of shots.

Can anyone back me up on this reading or refute it?

Can anyone suggest how they'd most like to abuse it?

Online SharkoutofWata

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Fuzzy rule writing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:53:25 AM »
No, you can work it that way, but it's not often really worth doing so.  Sure, you can take a bunch of Tallarn vehicles and Valhallan Infantry, but you're not going to get the Command Points you need for that to pay off.  Not enough to consider it abusing the system.  It'd be nice to get some respawning Conscripts but other armies have respawns too and they're not using them for valid reasons.  Each of these are good strategems, but none are amaze-balls and they won't shatter any balance.

Offline russellmoo

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Fuzzy rule writing
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 12:07:42 AM »
Most of my guard lists have all been combinations of various guard regiments- not really due to any attempt to power game but because over the course of 20 years of playing guard, I have amassed a very diverse set of infantry and characters- meaning while I have 6+ cadian squads, I also have 3 Tallarn inf. squads, 4 catachan squads, 3 steel legion squads, plus heavy weapon teams in all 4 flavors. So I have for the first time in years actually played the models according to what regiment they physically represent.

Personally, I like pairing Tallarn for movement, and Cadian for shooting, plus Catachan artillery- and meat shield.