Author Topic: 2000 Astra Militarum (mostly) tourney list  (Read 365 times)

Offline Celerior

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
2000 Astra Militarum (mostly) tourney list
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:03:40 AM »
Vostroyan (+6" range for rapid fire & heavy weapons) battalion:
HQ:
Company commander, chainsword & boltgun WARLORD (has command point warlord trait and relic)
Company commander, chainsword & boltgun
TROOPS:
Conscripts (30)
Conscripts (20)
Infantry squad, boltgun, lascannon, plasma gun
ELITE:
Special weapon squad, 3 plasma guns
Special weapon squad, 3 plasma guns
Commissar, boltgun
Commissar, boltgun
Astropath, laspistol
Astropath, laspistol

Ravenguard spearhead detachment:
Captain, storm bolter, chainsword (upgrade to chapter master with teeth of terra)
Devestator squad, armorium cherub, lascannon, plasma cannon
Devestator squad, armorium cherub, heavy bolter, plasma cannon

Imperium brigade:
HQ:
Company commander (Valhallan)
Tempestor prime, command rod
Tempestor prime, command rod
TROOPS:
Scout squad
Scout squad
Conscripts (30) (Valhallan)
Conscripts (20) (Valhallan)
Tempestus scions, 2 plasma guns, plasma pistol
Tempestus scions, 2 plasma guns, plasma pistol
ELITE:
Tempestus command squad, 4 melta guns
Tempestus command squad, 4 plasma guns
Astropath, laspistol
Astropath, laspistol
Astropath, laspistol
FAST ATTACK:
Cyberwolf (space wolves)
Cyberwolf (space wolves)
Cyberwolf (space wolves)
HEAVY SUPPORT:
Sabre battery: defensive searchlight
Sabre battery: defensive searchlight
Heavy weapon squad, mortars (valhallan)

15 points left to burn, if anyone has a suggestion I'm open.

Setup: At 16 command points plus refunds when either player uses command points, I will probably have over 24 command points to use, total, so spend some! Turn the captain into a chapter master. Give him the teeth of terra. Probably get the dagger relic. Probably get some command points refunded by my warlord trait and relic.

Strategy:
Generally, gunline. Lots of devastator squads and 30" range plasma guns. Shoot anything that moves.

Tactics/feints:
Against anything that isn't an assault army:
Use the dagger to outflank 30 conscripts (probably Valhallans) and buff them with all the psychic goodies: fearless, +1 armor and -1 to be shot at. Probably use a searchlight to buff their flashlights. If my opponent shoots them, use the take cover (go to ground) stratagem to give them 3+ saves. (Make sure a few of them are in cover so that the last few can get 2+ saves!) If my opponent kills them all, send in the next wave! If my opponent ignores them, they will probably be able to assault something valuable by turn 2.

Against armies with lots of deep strike: The scouts (and astropaths or wolves on the flanks) prevent deep strikes turn 1 from threatening the conscripts.
Turn 2, the wolves rush forward and take over that duty from the deceased forces. (If my opponent is shooting the wolves on turn 1, then he's not shooting the true value targets)

Against assault armies, the captain can provide some counter-assault punch.

Online sindri_tepek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 Astra Militarum (mostly) tourney list
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »
Have you considered swapping out the RG captain for Lias Issodon of the Raptors (a Chapter Master of a Raven Guard successor as well). He and his group get all the benefits of the RG but Lias also would allow you to FREELY infiltrate 3 Raptors infantry squads and himself so long as they are non-terminator, primaris or centurions.

Points would probably need some adjusting, since Lias is pretty pricey at 195 pts, but you do have 15 points left, so a few dropped conscripts might do it.

Plus, the Raptors regularly utilize AM in operations, so no one can really fault you for being non-fluffy, save mainly for the wolves, but they could be Raptors chapter hunting hounds or something.

Overall, it looks pretty dang solid; a tad heavy on conscripts to my taste since they did get downgraded in the last codex, but they do make for excellent bubblewrap.

Offline Celerior

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 Astra Militarum (mostly) tourney list
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »
The captain comes in at 76 points with his storm bolter. Lias costs an extra 119 points, and the whole idea is to have the devastators wrapped by the guardsmen. He's not a good fit for what I'm trying to do.

You're probably right that I have an unnecessarily large number of conscripts. The brigade detachment lets me revive a bunch. I think I will drop 10 of them, and use those 30 points with the 15 I already have free to pick up one more special weapons squad. Valhallan, so I can revive them.