Author Topic: New codex 8th ed incoming... share the gossip  (Read 2883 times)

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
New codex 8th ed incoming... share the gossip
« on: October 16, 2017, 02:20:44 AM »
Wow here comes the new dex. Im going to post more on this when i get home, but they cant get more obvious then this..

The old 'codex eldar is the spiritual successor to this codex... plus more'....

Makes sense by that statement that a lot of what's in here is going to be in the new codex... in one form or another...

Could all of our dreams come true?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/15/coming-soon-a-new-codex-for-the-craftworlds/

I think this is a link to the old codex

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/gaming_and_diversion/Warhammer_40K_Collection/Warhammer%252040k%2520-%2520Codex%2520-%2520Craftworld%2520Eldar.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjAs8H6v_TWAhULpJQKHWjcB08QFggcMAA&usg=AOvVaw07uI8sOdB7NZG6-tKa0g6d
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:16:42 AM by mcphro »

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: New codex 8th ed incoming... share the gossip
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 05:59:31 AM »
Ok I'm going to make some predictions based now on what they said in the Eldar article on the Warhammer community page, the old craftworld codex and the Index: Xenos 1 book.

Let's see how many I can call when the release the codex.

Assumptions:
1.We are told "Older hobbyists may remember Craftworld Eldar contained rules for Ulthwe, Iyanden, Biel-Tan, Altaioc and Saim Hann" --> Ok this means we are going to get rules specific to those craftworlds (obviously keywords means their rules will only affect their craftworld)

2. Craftworlds is the 'spiritual successor' to that book. --> In other words, the substance of the book will be visible with some of the common rules (or ideas) following on from that book. COOL!

3. They are doing that, plus 'taking a step forward' with Craftworld attributes designed to represent the way these Aeldari go to war --> This is interesting. Who knows what rules they will have, but it is clear they are going to get 'something' for being their specific craftworld.

4. 'These Craftworld attributes are paired with strategems' --> same as the other 40k armies. Hmmm I wonder what Beil Tan will get?

5. New Psychic powers --> Ok im sure we will get 6 warlock and 6 Farseer powers. Do you think they might be reflected by 7th Ed codex?

(e.d Im also excited that they are releasing the Triumvirate of Ynnead - I might be able to actually by the Avatar now)

Ok lets get on with the 8th Ed Codex predictions (mcphro style)

We will see 5 new detachments, most likely with the names/ set up:
- The Iyanden Ghost Warriors
- Saim-Hann Wild Rider Host (Will be an army solely containing skimmers and jetbikes)
- Alaitoc Ranger Force
- Beil-Tan Swordwind army (I wonder if like the old codex they will play with making aspect warriors troops?
- Forces of Ulthwe the Damned (Seer COuncil with special abilities, Black Guardians units and alike) with special deployment options)

Each type will have access to special units that are accessible to their craft world.

Craftworld Iyanden
----------------------
The old codex played with changing units to different detachments (e.g. making wratiguard troops). I dont know if GW will do something like this, but you already can with outrider or vangard detachments etc. But if they made them troops, 3 units gives you 3 points, so could be advantagous.

I am hoping the 'spiritseer' gets some sort of awesome 6" bubble ability for wraith units (maybe some sort of Feel no pain etc).

Maybe a wraithunit with a farseer inside perhaps?

Craftworld Saim-Hann
---------------------------
Ok you know it has to be Jetbikes galore!

They will have some sort of special rules for being in this detachment. If Dark Angels can get Jink? Just saying? Is jink a 5+ FNP? Would certainly make them more resillient wouldn't it? In the old codex, you could get a wild rider chief. I dont think they will do that, but they may make some way for an Exarch or Autarch (and just name them the same thing)

In the olc codex, they had special rules called "Arpert pilots" which meant they could reroll failed difficult terrain tests. Im going to call that a 6+ FNP instead(prediction)

They also had a special deployment option with their units, so Im going to predict some sort of army wide scouting move to help reposition the army to be in a better position. That conbined with some sort of jink (even if a unit is counted in cover in the open) etc.

Alaitoc Ranger force
-------------------------
Can anyone else say "Infiltrate"! Obvious prediction. But in the old rules, they get a ranger disruption table. Im so calling that. For every unit of rangers, roll a D6 - this affects an enemy unit. you can even "reverse an enemy unit deployment and firce it back into reserves. Can you imagine that? Force the enemy HQ character like The Dark Angels chapter master that gives the 6" reroll bubble back off the table. You can also shoot a unit at them as a free shot. Have a read of that one!

I'm hoping they give Illiac Nightspear some sort of 6" bubble for rangers around him (rerolls would be nice).

One REALLY nice rule they also had was their shots counted as AP 1 on a 4+ not a 6. PREDICTION here. Im thinking mortal wounds on a 5+ instead of 6+. That would be REALLY cool.

They also had a LD of 10.

Beil-Tan Swordwind army - Ahhh my favourite!
--------------------------------------------------------
This is a hard one, because they dont actually get that much!

All aspect warriors are Troops (I think GW is moving away from that direction personally), and all guardian squads units are elite.

Court of the Young King
PREDICTION - Consists of the Avatar and between 3 to 5 exarchs. They can all be upgraded. Im hoping the exarchs can tank the wounds for the Avatar on a 2+ sort of deal. You also could use any mix of exarchs too. Want all Striking Scorpions with Scorpions claw... go for it!

Im hoping for some sort of feel no pain for the whole unit.

Trouble is --> the special rules just made them fearless and auto pass moral checks. Mheh!

I think the 12" fearless bubble will still exist and the idea of this army is a 12" bubble around the Avatar is your whole army getting some soft of protection as your meant to whisk across the table and give then enemy what for. Im not sure how sucessful this will be in the face of 12 Lemus russes (that I faced last weekend) and I called in middle of his turn 2 when most of my force was wiped out) and the resiliance of this sort of force in this meta is something I still question. Vehicle is king and the swordwing might need waveserpents for survival.

Ulthwe the Damned
This prediction is an easy one. Recently they released the:
- Black guardian squads that have some sort of deep strike ability (making swordwind pointless), but that was their old rules and I PREDICTION to see it again.

Seer Council
Same as a normal seer council with souped-up ability etc. Perhaps they will get more powers than normal. In the odl rules, warlocks could detach to join guardian or wraithguard squads, perhaps a similar ability here? Not sure why you would though!

Warlocks got a new power called "Augment". It caused farseers in the unit to double their range.

Now you know Eldrich's storm has to make a comeback, and I bet Augment (PREDICTION) may make a similar comeback causing a farseer to double the range and kapow - Smites, eldrich storm (which should do mortal wounds etc)... etc etc

----------------------

That's what I'm adding for now. This has been more a less of a summation with a few simple thoughts.

Im really hopeing the synergy is going to be there. Characters need way better 6" bubble powers. But most of all, im looking forward to the synergy of these new lists with Ynaari, Dark Eldar, other craftworlds etc etc etc.

Thoughts?

Offline Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »
Nice read Mcphro

I think Eldritch Storm may work similar to how Vortex works, in that it causes mortal wounds to the nearest target or something like that. Gaze of Ynead is another good example to look at.

I wonder though, with all the craftworld rules and all that... how will it work with Ynnari? Ynnari is going to combine Craftworld with Harlequins and Dark Eldar after all. Will they lose all that?

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Rumor is ynaari rules dont change...  so i read...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:52:31 AM by mcphro »

Offline eldarglim

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Enervate: choose an enemy unit within 18" of the psyker - your opponent must subtract 1 from all wound rolls made for that unit in the fight phase until your next psychic phase

enervate can create a situation where your unit is wounded on a 7

Offline Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 09:20:28 PM »
Rymor is ynaari rules dont change...  so i read...

The rules don't change no doubt. But I referring more to the faction rules like Biel Tan, Iyanden, Cult of Strife (when they get their own codex), etc.

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »
Ok so Iynaden and Ulthwe spoilers have now been leaked by GW... interesting!

But I want to place a filter on this. We need to see the whole army book before I pass judgment. But the filter for me atm is this...

Last weekend I had to face 12 Astra Militarum tanks. No infantry! 60 wounds of Toughness 8. Sure.. I didnt know I was going to face is and I had a fairly 'balanced list'... So double shooting for half moves and reroll multiple dice for catachan rules... was brutal and I conceded 'half way' through turn 2.

So how would Eldar deal with that!

Ok on to the review...

Iyanden
----------
First up - Stoic Endurance
Cant loose more then one model from a single failed morale tests = 20 guardian squads!

Wraith constructs pretty much dont loose effectiveness as they get wounded... NICE! They will battle hard till they die and forces the opponent to focus them down. Stick them in cover for the 2+ T8 save.

Empower/Enervate - is pretty cool. want to make that nast enemy unit fumble less effective, or your more effective, nice.

Guided Wraithsight - Im happy all the strategems ive seen so far are 1CP. Cheap... means you can apply it lots of times. This means if you charge with 4 Wraithlords you get to reroll all failed shooting and hits in hand to hand. Essential for that wraithguard.

Ulthwe
---------
Black guardians, we could predict and if you read their current rules they could deep strike. Im hoping they still can. 20 guardians Deep striking in turn 1 right into the enemies lines with 40 shots with a 6+ FNP is quite nice. What about 6o guardians doing it?

The strategems are nice, +1 to hit or 4+ inv save... it all helps.

The Autarch - Is now a tax. If you want the 6+ get a command point back is nice, and combined with 60 guardians (if he was on a jet bike and moved to where they deep struck) means hitting on 3's, reroll 1s, use command points for adding 1's to hit of 4+ on the squad they declare a target on and you have a lot of rending goodness. And any loses you have a 6+ FNP. Nice.

Eldrad they said a 'considerable points reduction' - id say they caught on not many people put him on the field. They did say he was one of the best psykers in the game. lets see his rules when they come out.

Mind war - You have to get him in position first. But follows with the synergy of other units like Hemlock wraithfighters. You could cause a lot of wounds with it.

They didnt mention the Seer council... maybe its a surprise!

Thoughts so far
----------------------
Can anybody else see a split Eldar army from multiple craft worlds?
Want to take Wraith units - Take a Iyanden host with a cheap 45 spirit seer and 3 wraithlords.

Want Eldrad and 3 x deepstriking (we assume) 20 man guardian squads for that huge alpha strike they have to deal with .. take an ulthwe detachment as well...

Add Harlequins... I could see 5-7 guardian squads deep striking in front of the enemy, with a harlequin detachment charging from your own lines... which do you deal with first?

I wonder what Beil tan will bring to us tomorrow.. ill be so gutted if the court of the young king isn't there!

- my 2 cents

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:04:20 PM by mcphro »

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 11:50:31 PM »
Last weekend I had to face 12 Astra Militarum tanks. No infantry! 60 wounds of Toughness 8. Sure.. I didnt know I was going to face is and I had a fairly 'balanced list'... So double shooting for half moves and reroll multiple dice for catachan rules... was brutal and I conceded 'half way' through turn 2.

Beating this is actually quite easy, if you bring the 10% of Eldar units that are viable at the moment. I played a mech guard a week or 2 ago and found them quite easy to beat.

My 2000 point list was:
Yvraine
Spiritseer
15 Wraithguard with D-Scythes
3 Wave Serpents with Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines and Star Engines
Farseer
14 Dark Reapers split into units of  3, 3 and 8.

If you want to bring some more variety in your Eldar army you will have difficulty winning against a lot of things at the moment. 

I didn't get an exact list from the guard player because it was just a pick up game, but he had a large number of tanks (I don't remember the exact number), a couple of heavy weapon squads (I think they were heavy weapon squads) and fortification that consisted of 2 turrets that shot at the closest target with a large number of shots but only BS5+.

The main talking points of the battle were:
  • Me getting first turn, without it my wave serpents are a lot easier to kill. Although if I minimise drops I only have 6 drops.
     So I most often get the +1
  • Him choosing to bunch all his tanks up together, we talked afterwards and we both came to the conclusion that it would have been better for him to spread out his tanks to make it more difficult for me to trigger soulburst on the wraithguard.
  • I rolled pretty well for my turn 2 shooting. I had 70 hits with my 3 squads of wraithguard in a single turn. (All managed to trigger soulburst and I rolled 3 3s, 2 2s and a 1 for their number of shots, using my command re-roll) I killed 1 tank in turn 1, and 6 tanks + his 2 turrets in turn 2.
  • Focus firing more at my wave serpents. He killed one serpent in his first turn, but did not have any shooting left to shoot the wraithguard that came out. He wasted a few shots early to put a couple of wounds on each of the other serpents.
  • Placement of objectives was key. We were playing a combined mission of maelstrom (3 cards per turn) + eternal war, 6 objectives worth 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 4 points each. The objectives were placed with a group of 4 of them close to each other in / just in front of his deployment and one in each corner of the board in my deployment. The 4 of them being grouped there encouraged him to bunch his tanks up around them, which was exactly where I wanted my wraithguard and my reapers bunched around one of the other ones.
After my turn 2, he conceded but we did play it out and I tabled him during his turn 4 when he killed one of the wraithguard squads and triggered a soulburst sequence which let the other 2 squads kill his last 2 tanks.

Mech guard, while they have gotten better are still not that great. I am much more afraid of the guard players who bring a large blob of infantry, surrounding some artillery units with good shooting and a whole heap of drop squads.

I forget where I read it but someone stated it perfectly, Eldar in the index are an 80/20 codex. They are competitive if you take the 20% of the units that are good, but units from the 80% are basically a waste of points. While it will never be perfect with you able to take anything to be competitive (and in doing so would ruin the fun of list building) my biggest hope for the codex is to move that 80%/20% to closer to 50%/50% at least.

Secondly if they are going to balance our army based on stratagems / give us cool stratagems I really hope that they improve our troops, as it is quite hard for us to get many command points at the moment. My list above has 5 which won't be enough if they bring in some cool 3 point stratagems.

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 02:58:20 AM »
Yeaaaaa i didn't get first turn.....  he blew me away

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »
Ok Beil Tan is out, let see what we got!

Craftworld Attribute:
- Leadership +1
- Reroll hits of 1 for all shuriken weaponry

Thoughts: No longer need an Autarch for the reroll 1's although you may want him to retrieve the command point (but thats if you made him the army commander and with the avatar, you just might want him to be your army commander).

I also think the intention here is to overload a Beil Tan army as the main weapon on all units where possible to take advantage of the reroll rule.

They have confirmed that Dire Avengers will be cheaper. I wonder by how much?

I think a (not so new) new strategy here is 2 fold:
1. Did you notice all the strategems were EXPENSIVE - 2 or 3 CP
2. Load out on Battalions if you can get cheap troops. even if you have to buy a warlock and 3 new cheaper Dire Avenger units a) you get 9 dire avenger units) B) you'll get 12 command points. Then you can access those expensive strategems

The Avatar
- He basically has Celestine's type resurrection which is pretty good as long as you keep 3 CP up your sleeve. Combine that with his 5+ Inv save vs everything inc mortal wounds and be joined by other units in the assault and he could be quite resilient. Something to try out and see the impact.

Court of the young king
- I'm disappointed it isnt a unit, but not surprised that made it a strategem
- But why would you burn command points when the Avatars 'normal rule says units within 12" can reroll charges. I suppose its to ensure they have a better chance of getting in close combat. I would have the Avatar surrounded by 3 wave serpents maybe that all move together - A) so the avatar can be targetted as a character B) the CC units travelling with the avatar are being protected by the wave serpents. they all get out and charge perhaps.

But we used to be kings of shooting, now we are trying to get into close combat with T3 units? It can work well, perhaps banshees?
- so hoping eldar units are a bit cheaper.

Something just released if you want to see Samm-Han and Altoitic... salt always required but could be true..
http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2017/10/eldar-rules-image-for-5-craftworlds.html

Samm-han
- Penalty removed for moving and firing with heavy weapons
- reroll failed charges (nothing better than a 3 man jetbike unit tieing up a 160 point tank)

Altoitic
- Enemies subtract 1 from hit rolls if they are more than 12" away. Instantly makes all enemy units -1 BS really.

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »
Just watched the warhammer community twitch where they went throughbthebcodex.

Now, so you are aware of the main changes...

1. Points drop across the board... dire avengers 12pts...down from 18... scouts 12pts down fron 20
2. Avatar basically cant be killed. It has a strategem thta lets it pick characters out in shooting. And for 3cp you can bring it back to life woth d6 wounds... multiple times...
3. Falcons dropped 50 points
4. Dark reapers dropped in points and are cheaper
5. A lot of people will choose altioc for the minus 1 bs to enemy shooting thats further tbat 12''
6. Ynaari armies... lose any craft world special abilities... but that's ok because of the drop in points across the board. 
7 Phoenix lords now buff their aspects like they should. They do not benefit at all from craftworld abilities as they dont belong to a craftworld
8. Banshees can pull off a 15 inc charge by rolling a 10 as they get extra movement. You now cant fire overwatch at banshees which is a old rule anyway
9. Warlocks powers pretty good. There is a power called quickening.... cast it on a unit and it gets a d6 movement in psychic phase.
10. So many flexible deployment options
11. Warp spiders can now warp jump in 9'' away
12. Swooping hawks now excellent stand out unit.  Assault 4 weapons now plus usual tricks
13. Strategems allowing special deployment on 1 unit as in web way assault... e.g place a unit like wraith guard 9'' away on deployment
14. They were pretty keen to give the advice... you are after lots of command dice here. Brigades and battalions... Brigade style formations.
15. Warlocks conclave with 7 warlocks do d6 wounds with smite
16. night spinners cheaper now
17. Autarch can refund command points on 6s
18. Went through farseer powers... eldrich storm wasnt there. Mind war... executioner was
19. All troops bar guardians like 60 points.
20. I thought i heard them say a lot of aspects under 100 points?
21. Previous index was overcosted...it was..... look like most units are cheaper now. Some quite dramatically
22. Fire prisms are amazing double shot of moved less than half movement
23. War walkers can now outflank on sides of board
24. Did i say things got cheaper?
25. Brigade unit can be made for 1100 points.
Was made up off 2 warlocks 3 ranges 3 dire avengers 3 swooping hawk 3 dark reapers 3 striking scorpions. I think before that would have been 1600 pointsish...
26. Eldrad the same but had access to more powers
27. Shuriken and scatter lasers cheaper across the board

28. You could also dont identical battations using rangers or dire avengers with 2 warlocks each... for around  750 points. 12 command points for an army then. And you still have to deal with 6 psykers and 9 units of snipers max 1 wound on smite  or shuriken weapons.

ELDAR ARE BACK BABY!

Look i can't say how excited i am to hear all of this.  I now cant wait to get my hands on the codex... wow huh!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:56:54 PM by mcphro »

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 08:33:38 AM »
Excuse me for writing a bit, but just needed to uppack.

Ok, it been a few days and some of the rules are becoming more clear. I'm not going to post every single difference, but there are a few nice standouts I like personally. Not so much because of strategems (though they are very nice as well), but I just like the points changes and balances to the units themselves.

The Avatar
-------------
It is now invincible. In any Eldar game you should be going in with at least 12 command points. (3 battalions can be done for 750 points unless you can fill out a brigade style detachment). A lot of excellent strategems are only 1 or 2 points. So each time the avatar dies (and it will never be alone because it's a character with less then 10 wounds) you spend 3 command points and (the rest of the enemy shots are wasted) it comes back to life with D6 wounds... and away you go again!

Dire Avengers
----------------
So think about it. It's about 105 points (cant see new points costs for weapons) under current rules. But for 120 points you get 10 Dire Avengers with the 18" Range, better armour (stand-in cover) with the Aspect Warrior keyword that allows strategems to affect them. Buy Asurman and give them all a 4++ save (I think)

Rangers
----------
Far out, think warp spiders are annoying - these guys HAD to come down in points. 60 for 5 is a good price for (altoic of course). Buy 6 for the Troops of a Brigade Detachment, and these buys have something like at least a -2 to hit. Place them all over the middle ground in cover and snipe out those characters. They will also act as an effective screen for those units trying to get to your backfields units. I'll happily sacrifice a ranger unit to charge a land raider and the like etc and tie it up in CC.

Howling Banshees
--------------------
In 7th these girls were improved. In 8th they got even better. Banshees are now everything they were ever supposed to be. SO fast, they can charge up to 15", cant hit first in combat (who cares charging units go first anyway and that is our game) and they cannot have overwatch fired against them. But even better they become like Harlequins, where they can charge after they have advanced. Use strategems to give them a free 6" movement on top.

They can actually move faster than any transport transporting them!

Swooping Hawks
-------------------
This unit has also improved out of sight. 24" Assult 4 Str 3 Lasguns, the usual swooping hawk shenanigans, but with these guys you own the board. Movement 14", can cause mortal wounds (but you have to get good at positioning on this and I wouldn't rely on it), but for me, 3 of these units is going to remove all those 'soak units like conscripts' that other armies place in front of them.3 units of 5 put out 60 shots a turn.

I can easily see 3 x war spiders, 3 swooping hawks working together to be a massive pain in the butt for the opponent. If you add barraroth I think they all reroll 1's too.

Warp Spiders
---------------
I've seen on reviews that 1 person said this unit isn't good anymore. I cannot disagree more. They can deep strike again, flickerjump gives them a -1 to hit again and a unit of 5 puts out 10 Str 6 rending shots. 3 units of these for me are about rolling up peoples flanks. I've seen they have got cheaper by about 4 points a model. If true this still puts a unit of 5 under 100 points. But its is how you use them that counts. Exarch can only take 2 deathspinners I think.

First, Warp into cover. Buy them as an outrider detachments and suck a warlock for the leader tax. Now they are altioc warp spiders with a -1 to hit unless the enemy unit is under 12''. Add this to the cover save of -1. Then, you can use strategems or warlock powers like conceal to pile on even more. Warp spiders will become THAT unit, the one that 3 units warp into your flank into -1 cover, shooting 30 x Str 6 shots that rend into their target (3 x 5 man units) and then will be hard to remove or do too much damage to them. Objective takers.

Are their better units. Of course. But these guys give you the strength and rending that swooping hawks cant deal with. They can also screen your

Dark Reapers
---------------
Already a good unit they have been made cheaper and this is awesome. You always hit on 3's. But points cost has always been their issue. It remains to be seen how much cheaper, but Space marines, bikes should quake in fear of this unit. 2 wounds at -2 is awesome. But it is their rule of inescapable accuracy. Have modifiers to hit a unit... not any more. They ALWAYS hit on 3's.

War Walkers
--------------
Buy 3 war walkes in a squadron with shuriken cannons in a beil tan detachment, Use a farseer to DOOM a unit, then guide the war walkers and sit back and enjoy. The point behind this unit is I dont see all the rules as overpowered. Im not saying this set up for war walkers will specifically ruin peoples days or will wipe units. But if not dealt with they will be a reliable source of firepower that will pile on the wounds. Use the Farseer for real potential however. This is because they are a squadron.

Beil tan: reroll 1's.
Guide: reroll ALL misses
Doom: reroll all wounds.

Mathhammer
---------------
This means you get 18 shots with 12 hits. With reroll you should get 4 more hits = 16 hits.
Vs T4 = 10.67 wounds. reroll wounds is 3.56 more wounds. = 14.22 wounds for 18 shots. around 3 of those should be at -4.

Over 5 turns thats 71 wounds. The issue with war walkers for the enemy is just that they usually just are not a priority target. The enemy will have to go out of their way to deal with them normally where you have so many other higher priority targets to deal with.

Assassination squad
-----------------------
You can leave them in this configuration or give them all bright lances though they will be more expensive. But another option is now war walkers outflank, you deploy them on the flank of the enemy next to a juicy target. If the enemy deploys his characters or armour wrong, you walk in (Altoic warwalkers of course) and stand in cover. Now your -2 to hit and have 6 bright lances to shoot at a close character or Baneblade etc. Perhaps a shuriken cannon/ bright lance combo for the flexibility and to save on points.

Wraithlords
-------------
A detachment of 3 wraithlords now at T8 that really helps. Run them as a Iyanden detachments however and they will will fight at full strength till they only have a 3 wounds left.

Wraithknight
---------------
I wont go into him much here, except to say his weapon is now Str 16, which means he wounds pretty much everthing in the game on 2's and not 3's now.

Falcons
---------
Are 50 points cheaper - Yes please! they may still have to find their place vs so many other unit choices.

Vauls support...Support weapons
--------------------
50 points cheaper just like they should have been. (Compare to astra militarum 12pt mortar). Vibrocannons may finally have a place as they are D3 shots with increasing Ap and Str. A battery of 3 might set you back 160 points, but you get (3 x D3 (potentially 9 shots) Str 7 (upto Str 9 for the 3rd battery - upto 3 at Str 7 -1, 2 damage, upto 3 at Str 8, -2, 2 damage and upto 3 at Str 9, -3, 2 damage).

Compare that to a Farseer casting executioner. Someone is happy to pay 170 points for a Farseer on a bike to cast an enhanced Smite. These things if set up right have a 48" range and I think are well placed to pile on wounds onto important squads like Dark Angels Dark Shrouds. Sure you will suffer the -1 to hit, but every wound that goes through is a potential 2 damage. Terminators etc - look out. Hey, buy the Farseer anyway and guide them.

It might be overkill, but what is the potential of 3 units of 3 batteries of Vibrocannons? 6 wounds each means your looking at 18 wounds for a battery of 3 models. For only 450 points, your looking at 54 wounds of T6 that can spit out potentialy 18 shots of Str 7, 8 and 9) at 48". Combine with 3 Fire Prisms with an effective infantry screen and are we looking at the new Imperial guard? (All Altioc of course).

Fire Prisms
-------------
Wow, I now have to buy 3. I dont really want to move the model. Give me 3 vehicles with 6 shots og Str 12 AP -5 (yes -5) and D6 damage. But what they really give you now is a way to hide 2 other prisms, and use the Strategem that lets you strike with all 3 vs that baneblade that are all reroll to hit and wound I think as well. This... is the Death Star 3!

Even better, these things can double shot the other fire modes.

New weapoon profile as a result of moving under half: (my guide):

Dispersed 60" Heavy 2D6, Str 6, AP -3, 1 damage.
Focused  60" Heavy 2D3, Str 9, AP -4, D3 damage. (most of the time, would you use this profile? With 3 vehicles doing this, thats 6D3 shots. On average 12 shots at Str 9, -4, D3)
Lance 60" Heavy 2, Str 12, AP -5, D6 damage.

Hemlock Wraithfighter
Now Str 12  - online poeple are asklng why but it's just like the wraithcannon on a wratihknight, It's not that its Str 12, they have just made it so it can wound T6 on 2's, that's all. Its not that great of an upgrade. But the unit has been upgraded none the less. Other major change is besides smite is can only use the opposite power of warlock powers now)

Windriders
-------------
Im out to lunch. Not my main units in an eldar army, but if your Samm-Hann then you will love scatter lasers again.

---------------------------
There is a lot more to this codex, and I see that we will create an update a 8th Eldar Tactica at the top of the page like we have done befoe showcasing all the different units, and potential nasty strategies.

I say nasty strategies because wow have we now got flexability through the craftworld attributes where people seem to agree that Altioc is the best one. But it is the strategems that I havent even really covered here. Want upto 3 units that normally cant to Deep strike in using the warp - Done! yes you can do that.

Want a vehicle to come in via deepstrike in another turn, yes you can do that.

so so many excellent strategems.... Cant wait till the book comes out proper.

Thank you for excusing my ramblings. I cant wait to see what tricks people come up with that we haven't considered.

- my 2 cents
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:15:22 AM by mcphro »

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
I am happy with the power level I see from the Eldar codex released so far. I am still a little bit concerned that Ynnari is still going to be the way to go, even without the craftworld bonuses but overall it is still looking good.

I am looking forward to doing some more mathhammer posts once the codex is out.

Offline Chmmr_X

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 08:37:34 PM »
Wow here comes the new dex. Im going to post more on this when i get home, but they cant get more obvious then this..

The old 'codex eldar is the spiritual successor to this codex... plus more'....

Makes sense by that statement that a lot of what's in here is going to be in the new codex... in one form or another...

Could all of our dreams come true?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/15/coming-soon-a-new-codex-for-the-craftworlds/

I think this is a link to the old codex

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/gaming_and_diversion/Warhammer_40K_Collection/Warhammer%252040k%2520-%2520Codex%2520-%2520Craftworld%2520Eldar.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjAs8H6v_TWAhULpJQKHWjcB08QFggcMAA&usg=AOvVaw07uI8sOdB7NZG6-tKa0g6d

Actually, I think Ynnari will in general be at a big disadvantage if the rumours are true because they cannot make use of any of the Craftworld faction rules (like Alaitoc's -1 to hit). Unless they say that a Ynnari character will disrupt the detachment or the likes, it can be played around by using a patrol detachment or Supreme Command detachment to have the important character to play Ynnari. Otherwise, Craftworld will be superior at the moment even without power of death.

I wonder if Battle Focus would be the same though... esp since many other factions are getting a better version of battle focus than Eldar...

Offline A painting chaos

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 04:20:20 AM »

Dark Reapers
---------------
Already a good unit they have been made cheaper and this is awesome. You always hit on 3's. But points cost has always been their issue. It remains to be seen how much cheaper, but Space marines, bikes should quake in fear of this unit. 2 wounds at -2 is awesome. But it is their rule of inescapable accuracy. Have modifiers to hit a unit... not any more. They ALWAYS hit on 3's.

First of all, very nice review!
I collected all the points-related information so I can pitch in with that

2 Dark Reapers + Exarch (standard weapon) are 9 points cheaper than the Index version. And, amazingly, 3 point cheaper then the equivalent 7th edition unit

Actually, almost all the Aspects are cheaper then the 7th edition equivalent. And other units are too

War Walkers
--------------
Buy 3 war walkes in a squadron with shuriken cannons in a beil tan detachment, Use a farseer to DOOM a unit, then guide the war walkers and sit back and enjoy. The point behind this unit is I dont see all the rules as overpowered. Im not saying this set up for war walkers will specifically ruin peoples days or will wipe units. But if not dealt with they will be a reliable source of firepower that will pile on the wounds. Use the Farseer for real potential however. This is because they are a squadron.

Beil tan: reroll 1's.
Guide: reroll ALL misses
Doom: reroll all wounds.

If you plan to stick a Farseer with them to always Guide them would't be better to field them in an Alaitoc detachment? Guide is not that hard to cast with the runes of the farseer so you will probably not use the Biel-Tan trait that much with them. The -1 to hit protection will be more usefull imho

Falcons
---------
Are 50 points cheaper - Yes please! they may still have to find their place vs so many other unit choices.

It's even better than that :) You go from -49 for the BL/AML version to -64 for the SL/star cannon one. I can see the SL variant coming back

Vauls support...Support weapons
--------------------
50 points cheaper just like they should have been. (Compare to astra militarum 12pt mortar). Vibrocannons may finally have a place as they are D3 shots with increasing Ap and Str. A battery of 3 might set you back 160 points, but you get (3 x D3 (potentially 9 shots) Str 7 (upto Str 9 for the 3rd battery - upto 3 at Str 7 -1, 2 damage, upto 3 at Str 8, -2, 2 damage and upto 3 at Str 9, -3, 2 damage).

Compare that to a Farseer casting executioner. Someone is happy to pay 170 points for a Farseer on a bike to cast an enhanced Smite. These things if set up right have a 48" range and I think are well placed to pile on wounds onto important squads like Dark Angels Dark Shrouds. Sure you will suffer the -1 to hit, but every wound that goes through is a potential 2 damage. Terminators etc - look out. Hey, buy the Farseer anyway and guide them.

It might be overkill, but what is the potential of 3 units of 3 batteries of Vibrocannons? 6 wounds each means your looking at 18 wounds for a battery of 3 models. For only 450 points, your looking at 54 wounds of T6 that can spit out potentialy 18 shots of Str 7, 8 and 9) at 48". Combine with 3 Fire Prisms with an effective infantry screen and are we looking at the new Imperial guard? (All Altioc of course).

3 Vibrocannons are 180p and the bike seer only 135p now (with blade) so it's more like 2 Vibrocannons vs the Farseer
And 2 D-cannons are only 30 points more than the Vibro ones

The new codex looks very promising, we sure are back in business. The only negative side for me, so far, is the loss of old weapon options due to then not being available on the current models. The Autarch took a big it then that regard and it's no more the the general that walked all the Paths it was before :(