Author Topic: Back on the Eldar hype train!  (Read 197 times)

Offline Rob40k

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Back on the Eldar hype train!
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:44:55 AM »
Hi,

So its been pretty much a year since I last used Eldar, I grabbed the codex last night and now I'm back...

Not 100% sure which way I want to go as a tournament list its either Ynnari or Alaitoc. I'm looking for advice for those that have played games :)

Looking at the codex, Dark Reapers seem like they're the stand out unit, I also think deep striking Wraithguard could be very nasty!

What are peoples first impressions of the codex?   

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: Back on the Eldar hype train!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 04:22:46 PM »
Welcome back.

Yes Dark reapers are pretty good. Even Reecius from frontline gaming thought maybe they are now undercosted.

I have no idea as far as Ynaari goes. But first impressions are pretty good. I dont think its overpowered compared to some armies and you will still cop a hiding if you make a mistake.

The points reductions are very nice and helps balance the codex, but as said before.,.. it doesn't mean you can do things better. You cant horde better for instance, other armies can do it better. But for my money im happy with it.

Online Odras

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Back on the Eldar hype train!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:48:51 PM »
Not 100% sure which way I want to go as a tournament list its either Ynnari or Alaitoc. I'm looking for advice for those that have played games :)

Looking at the codex, Dark Reapers seem like they're the stand out unit, I also think deep striking Wraithguard could be very nasty!
What are peoples first impressions of the codex?   

If you are looking the strongest list possible I thonk that Ynnari is still the best option. I would suggest Ynnari + 1 craftworld detachment to allow you to unlock the stratagems from the Craftworld codex though.

In my opinion, the strongest option is a combination of Wave Serpents, Wraithguard and Dark Reapers with a scattering of psykers to fill HQ slots and support. Both the Yncarne and Yvraine are strong characters that can be used to unlock the Ynnari. Have a look at the list thread if you want to see an example of a list I am running.

I have recently changed my mind about some of the Eldar troops. In the same list thread mentioned above, TheMattler convinced me of how deadly it could be dropping 40 guardians in via a webway portal. Two things my fairly elite list is not very good at is dealing with large numbers of infantry and screening out opponents. A large number of guardians would do both of these quite well. I haven't yet worked on a list that incorporates this and there are a few decisions to make, such as do I take them as Ynnari for more killing power, or do I take them as Iyanden to keep them around longer.

While even with the Eldar codex you can't just take anything and be reasonably competitive, there is still a large range of things that can be made to work in a competitive army list. The stratagems are quite well done in my opinion for allowing this.