Author Topic: How to pick your army  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
How to pick your army
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:10:20 AM »
Hi

It is my mission to try and help any new player to pick an army they wish to start with in 40k, the task of picking an army is a daunting one, especially for a new player, the money, time and effort you will put into your force will mean you will want to get it right first time if possible.

Where shall I start?

There are many different things to consider when picking an army:

-Fluff (backstory)

-Play-style (how the army plays on the table)

-Aesthetics (how the army looks/style of the army)

The importance of these 3 key areas will vary from person to person, someone who enjoys building, converting and painting will most likely care more about the aesthetics rather than the play style for example. It is usually better to have a good mix of all 3 areas.

Lets get the fluff/backstory out of the way first, you need to like the story of the army you play, if you hate all that your army stands for, odds are you will not want to play something you dislike. There are many ways to research the backstory of your army.

Codex's: these can often be browsed at a local Games Workshop or wargaming store, or borrowed from another player to have a look through, remember to ask though. of course you could buy one and then read it, but who wants to waste their money on stuff they may not like.

Online sources: There are many websites available that have considerable background sources the two most popular/ones I use are:

http://www.lexicanum.com/

and

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki

Both of these websites contain backstory on all/most races in the 40k universe.
Use these to research what your army is like in terms of military, aims, goals, history and much more.

Now I will start on play style, this one is in my opinion the least important as there are usually many play styles available in each army, but it is still an important point.

Play style is a little harder to research compared to backstory, the best place to start would be on Youtube, often battle reports will give you a good indication on how an army plays (the ones by minwargaming are especially good) http://www.youtube.com/user/miniwargaming , or just try searching for something along the lines of "Warhammer 40k Necron battle report". Battle reports let you see the army in action and gives a good idea on what to expect.

Heading down to a local Games Workshop/local hobby store is also a great way to find out an armies play style, you can ask other people and/or watch games being played.

Aesthetics is last on the list, this is a very simple one to decide on, I have found that the Games Workshop website is a very good tool for this as it contains pictures of all their current kits that are available for each army.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp

Look through the armies from Blood Angels to Tyranids and pick one you like the look of, then I would check out some basic back story about the army, and then finally look at the armies play style, and if that army ticks all the boxes then you have successfully chosen your army.

Stay tuned for a first time buying guide for each army.   :)

Happy wargaming

Hawk  ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:11:51 AM by Hawkeye299 »

Offline mam2087

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: How to pick your army
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:55:28 PM »
Totally agree on the fluff angle.  Gotta love what you play.

That aside I would suggest before picking up any models.  Take a good hard look on YouTube and the web for painting and gaming videos.  There are tons out there.   Get an ideal of the difficulty level of painting the proposed army.  Some things like Space Marines, pretty easy.  Other not so much.  The more ornate the models the harder the job and longer it's going to take you to get into the hobby.   

Offline Aeropig

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 11:12:45 PM »
I would also suggest that when looking at the aesthetics of the army you pay special attention to the troop options. If you are looking on the games workshop website, or in a codex, as Hawkeye suggested then it should be clear which units these are.
You are going to be assembling, painting and playing withh more of these units than any other so it is more important that you like the look of the troops than any other unit.

Offline Sadclown

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:53:09 AM »
I have the advantage of being a gainfully employed adult which allowed me to start three armies. This of course is enormously expensive and a horrible way to get into 40K.  Last Friday I purchased a Dreadnought for my Black Templars, assembled it ore the weekend and put the first coat of paint on last night.  The Dreadnought really tide the whole army together visually.

So what does this have to do with building an army?  Armies are about more than how they perform on paper or the internet.  An army needs to "speak" to you, and the voice of the models is their visually appeal.  Get down to your local hobby store on the days they play and see as many armies as you can to get a feel for how they come together visually. 

If there is no hobby store near you, then look at armies on the internet.  Find out when the nearest tournament to you will be scheduled and contact the organizers.  Explain that you are thinking of getting into 40k, there is no store near you, and you want to come to the tournament to check out the armies.  If they are cool with it, make a trip and check out peoples' toy soldiers. Ask them what appeals to them about the army.  It may seem expensive take a trip to a tournament but that rip will be cheaper than building multiple Armies you may never buy into.

Offline mam2087

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »
Good advice.  That's how I started out in 40K.  Came across it by accident on the web.  Got interested and started looking into it.  At that time there were no gaming store or groups where I lived.  Thanks to the web I was able to find a store and gamers in a not so far away town.  Found out when they meet and made the trip. 

I did exactly what SadClown said.  Went for a couple weeks, observed, and asked questions.   I was really lucky that those were some pretty cool guys who were willing to talk to a noob like myself.  Too bad they all moved on to other areas so they no longer meet.   

So yeah you should give that  a try and best of luck !

Offline Htedomsa

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »
Totally agree on the fluff angle.  Gotta love what you play.

That aside I would suggest before picking up any models.  Take a good hard look on YouTube and the web for painting and gaming videos.  There are tons out there.   Get an ideal of the difficulty level of painting the proposed army.  Some things like Space Marines, pretty easy.  Other not so much.  The more ornate the models the harder the job and longer it's going to take you to get into the hobby.   

I support this wholeheartedly. I find that while considering what aesthetics you gravitate too, consider what army will be fun to build. One of the things that got me into Chaos is the level of conversion that is possible. It was just a lot of fun to build that army and customize it (and still is). Despite the hours you can end up putting into converting nd building some models, the excitement of adding something awesome to an army you love makes so worth it.