Author Topic: General tips for buying an army,  (Read 3584 times)

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
General tips for buying an army,
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:44:52 AM »
So you decided to take the plunge, or at least think about it, and want to know what to buy for your chosen army.

Well to get us started here is a brief list.

Codex: Your armies codex (you will need this to play, as well as some other things (detailed in http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=1156.0))

Glue: To be able to glue your models together you will want a polycement glue for plastic models and a super glue for finecast/resin/metal models.

Plastic clippers: a pair of plastic clippers to remove parts from their sprue (plastic housing)

Sharp knife: an x-acto knife will work perfectly, you will need this for cleaning up your models by removing excess plastic/mold lines.

Paint: you will be wanting the colours to paint your army, find out how to paint your chosen army and buy the paints you require.

Models: last but not least, your chosen box of models, be it a Space marine tactical squad or a Tyranid Carnifex, you will need something from your chosen army to start with, I recommend a troops choice, you can see what units/models are troops choices on the Games Workshop website http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp I recommend a troops choice to start with as troops are something you will always use, and generally give you a good idea on the rest of the army, you could also pick up a HQ model such as a Space Marine Captain, Dark Eldar Archon or your army equivalent.

Things I would start with for each army:

Blood angels: Space marine commander and Tactical squad
Chaos Daemons: demon prince and a box of demons
Chaos Space marines: Chaos Lord and Chaos space marine squad
Dark Angels: Space marine commander and Tactical squad
Dark Eldar: Archon and Dark Eldar Warriors
Eldar: Farseer and Eldar Guardians
Grey knights: Grey Knights Brother Captain and Grey Knight termnators
Imperial Guard: Imperial Guard Cadian Command Squad and Imperial Guard Cadian Shock Troops
Necrons: Nercon overlord and Necron warriors
Orks: Warboss and Ork boyz
Sisters of battle: Sisters of Battle Canoness and Battle sisters
Space Marnes: Space marine commander and Tactical squad
Space Wolves: Space marine commander and Space Wolves Pack
Tau Empire: Tau Commander and Fire warriors
Tyranids: Hive Tyrand and Termagant brood

This is just a small start for each army and consists of things you will likely use in future armies. The battleforces for each army are also a good choice most of the time, but will cost you slightly more, but you do get a saving with each box.

Obviously if there is something you would rather buy then buy that item, my advise is just a guide and should be followed but not necessarily stuck to.

Happy wargaming

Hawk  ;D

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:23:38 PM by Hawkeye299 »

Offline mam2087

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: General tips for buying an army,
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:51:36 PM »
My advice to anyone starting up this hobby is find a friend with an army or armies you can borrow.   Get a good ideal where you want to go with this game and work it from there.

eBay is a great source for 'cheaper' used and new stuff.  Trouble is you really need to know the prices and understand what it is you are buying.  Some of my earlier purchases we a prime example of someone not knowing either.   While you have to be careful most of the people selling the sued stuff are hobbyist themselves and you stand a good chance of getting a great deal.   I would still urge caution going this route if you're knowledge of the game/models is limited.   It's like any other purchase: research, understand, ask questions, and be sure the get what you paid for.

Another great place I found to buy armies is the game store itself.   There's always someone looking to sell off their current army to move onto another or just want to start all over again.   This you need to be careful with.  Some game store owners frown on any business being done in their place.  Others outright hate it and it'll get you banned from the store.   Talk with the owner and players before attempting a deal.  Most owners are gamers and they know the score.  While they would more than likely like to selling you brand new stuff, they understand the gamers need and can be very accommodating.  I think the smarter ones realize that any deal will eventually benefit them.  New player stuff.  It's only a matter of time.  The person selling is very likely to be buying new product.    It can be a great way to acquire an army. 

You hear from most people in the hobby "Buy and play with what you like."  While that is very true, keep in mind some armies are better starters than others.   Space Marines is the generic starter army.  Simple rules (used to be).   Plentiful models bother used and new.  Lots of other SM players to talk with and learn.   Plus if you start off with a SM army and don't like it, there's a newbie out there willing to buy.   

Some of the elitist armies, like Sisters of Battle and Grey Knights have a serve learning curve.   Take it from me nothing worse than starting out and getting absolutely creamed.   I don't mind loosing , but a complete butt kicking is discouraging.  I was lucky when I started out.  Had a great group of guys that helped me along.  Seriously without their support I would have quite year one. 

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »
So you decided to take the plunge, or at least think about it, and want to know what to buy for your chosen army.

Codex: Your armies codex (you will need this to play, as well as some other things (detailed in http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=1156.0))

Glue: To be able to glue your models together you will want a polycement glue for plastic models and a super glue for finecast/resin/metal models.

Plastic clippers: a pair of plastic clippers to remove parts from their sprue (plastic housing)

Sharp knife: an x-acto knife will work perfectly, you will need this for cleaning up your models by removing excess plastic/mold lines.

Paint: you will be wanting the colours to paint your army, find out how to paint your chosen army and buy the paints you require.

Models: last but not least, your chosen box of models, be it a Space marine tactical squad or a Tyranid Carnifex, you will need something from your chosen army to start with, I recommend a troops choice, you can see what units/models are troops choices on the Games Workshop website http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp I recommend a troops choice to start with as troops are something you will always use, and generally give you a good idea on the rest of the army, you could also pick up a HQ model such as a Space Marine Captain, Dark Eldar Archon or your army equivalent.

Chaos Daemons: Herald of Khorne/Nurgle/slaanesh/Tzeech and a box of demons
Grey knights: Grey Knights Brother Captain and Grey Knights
Imperial Guard: Imperial Guard Cadian Command Squad and Imperial Guard Cadian Shock Troops

This is just a small start for each army and consists of things you will likely use in future armies. The battleforces for each army are also a good choice most of the time, but will cost you slightly more, but you do get a saving with each box.

Obviously if there is something you would rather buy then buy that item, my advise is just a guide and should be followed but not necessarily stuck to.

Happy wargaming

Hawk  ;D

SO a few differences of opinion/add ons.

SO add-ons

You need a tape measure and Dice to play the game as well.

I also advise getting the base rule book, if possible find the mini-rules on Ebay (or by Dark Vengance if those armies fit with what you are looking to buy.)

Now some differences of opinion.

For most races I almost never spend money on individual characters.  Kit bashing regular troops boxes makes for easy/cheap aquistion of an HQ.  As such I would never spend money on a herald of Daemons or a Space Marine Commander, unless there are bitz in that kit that you want (the Daemons are Fine Cast though so not so much, it is very easy to convert them out of the lesser Daemons for Heralds.) 

For Daemons I recommend the Daemon Prince Kit, it has lots of Extra bitz so that for a small extra expense you can convert multiple Monsterous creatures.

For Armies Like Grey Knights I would buy the Grey Knight box and the Terminator Box.

My biggest advice for buying an army is Proxy first...then shop.  Certain things cannot go far wrong (tactical squad box...) but for armies like Daemons if you go out and buy a particular troop choice and decide you don't like how they play, you are kind of stuck.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »

Chaos Daemons: Herald of Khorne/Nurgle/slaanesh/Tzeech and a box of demons
Grey knights: Grey Knights Brother Captain and Grey Knights

Happy wargaming

Hawk  ;D

SO a few differences of opinion/add ons.

SO add-ons

You need a tape measure and Dice to play the game as well.

I also advise getting the base rule book, if possible find the mini-rules on Ebay (or by Dark Vengance if those armies fit with what you are looking to buy.)

Now some differences of opinion.

For most races I almost never spend money on individual characters.  Kit bashing regular troops boxes makes for easy/cheap aquistion of an HQ.  As such I would never spend money on a herald of Daemons or a Space Marine Commander, unless there are bitz in that kit that you want (the Daemons are Fine Cast though so not so much, it is very easy to convert them out of the lesser Daemons for Heralds.) 

For Daemons I recommend the Daemon Prince Kit, it has lots of Extra bitz so that for a small extra expense you can convert multiple Monsterous creatures.

For Armies Like Grey Knights I would buy the Grey Knight box and the Terminator Box.

My biggest advice for buying an army is Proxy first...then shop.  Certain things cannot go far wrong (tactical squad box...) but for armies like Daemons if you go out and buy a particular troop choice and decide you don't like how they play, you are kind of stuck.

Thanks for the add ons man, I do not know much about demons and only a bit on grey knights, Will update my first post.

Offline Anpu-adom

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:27:08 AM »
My recommended start for Necrons is:
Catacomb Command Barge/Annihilation Barge kit
2 boxes of Necron Warriors

That will give you:
HQ (a Lord comes with the Barge... score!)
2 Decent Sized troop units (12 man each)
a 6 scarab base swarm (great fast attack)
HS (Annihilation Barge)
Total can come up to about 700 points, depending on the wargear you give the overlord.

In addition, I would buy some extra 40 mm bases, put only 3 scarabs on each base, and go up to 8 bases of scarabs for very cheap.

Offline PDzikus

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
For Necrons I started a separate topic on our forum:
Starting Necron Army: Basics - http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=1424.0

Offline mam2087

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
Have you looked at eBay lately?   It seems the prices on used stuff has fallen right out.  I can't believe how cheap some stuff is now.  Not all mind you , but a lot of the older codex stuff is going for cheap.

Used is a great way to go.  Just be certain of what you are buying and the going prices.