Author Topic: Making an Army Transport  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Theguy

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Making an Army Transport
« on: October 04, 2013, 02:58:14 PM »
So here I am, driving back from my honeymoon, just got back into the US and I see this new forum. What a great place to impart some wisdom. I have designed and built my own army transporters for a little while.

Thing you will need:

-A plastic carry case. I got mine at the same fabric store I found the rest of my stuff. You can go something as small as a pencil case, or as large as a suitcase. You want something that is a large empty shell.
- Hobby knife or stanley knife
-Foam padding, 1/2" thick. I also got this at the fabric store. Sold where pillow stuffing is at.
-Hot Glue

1.Start out by cutting a section of foam that is the same size as the bottom of the box.
2. Lay out the models you want to protect onto this foam. Be sure to leave 1/2" between the models, and between the edges of that section. Try to start with all your largest on the bottom. If you have something huge like a landraider, then stand your rhinos on their sides. This is the most difficult step, you can leave empty spaces for more tanks, if you decided to expand your army later.
3. Start cutting flat strips of foam. Their width should be slightly more than the height of your largest model you set up.
4. Use hot glue to stick down the edges of the strips onto your base foam. Work your way around all the models and all around the perimeter of the base foam. Stick the pieces to the base, as well as to each other.
5. Cut out another sheet of foam the size of the box. This might be slightly bigger than the base, as most boxes are rounded at the bottom.
6. Place the sheet on top andr close the lid. If there is more room on the top, then you may have room to do another layer. See if any of your remaining models, infantry or tanks will fit. Remember to allow another 1/2" for another cover sheet. If there is no room then you are done. If there is some room, but not enough for models, then keep your books up here.
7. When you are done, make sure you make a sheet to go over the top. You don't want them bouncing off the plastic top.

I built one of these over a year ago, I keep all my waveserpents and vypers on the bottom. The top has all Jetbikes and warwalkers. And still room to set all my army lists on the top layer.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:38:02 PM by Hawkeye299 »

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Making an Army Transposrt
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 04:16:55 PM »
Awesome post man, great idea, I totally forgot about cases.

Hawk   ;D

Offline bkbb214

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »
Sounds good. A few pics would be good to see the process and final result.

Thanks

Offline Theguy

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 05:01:16 PM »
Pics will be coming, we have another hour of driving left before we are home. I just got bored and typed this up on my phone. I will be building another one soon, so i can include assembly pictures.