Author Topic: Hawkeye's guide to troops  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Hawkeye's guide to troops
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:06:39 PM »
Here we will have a basic guide on how to use your troops.

First off, what are troops?

Troops are the most common units in the 40k game, they are your bread and butter and your best friends, they capture your objective and are usually an answer to any problem you can have, they are versatile and usually cheap by comparison to the rest of your army.

The minimum number of troop choices needed in an army is 2 however you will probably want more than just the 2 minimum choices, I would recommend one choice per 500 points, note that for hoard armies like orks this could be higher as you need the higher amount of bodies.

Your troops are worth investing in, give them heavy weapons and extra equipment so that they can do a specific job and then do it well and reliably, this will give you a solid base on which to build the rest of your army.

What should the troops do?

First and foremost your troops will be objective takers and holders, 5 out of 6 missions in 6th edition 40k rely on objectives of some sort, and these are usually key to victory. your troops also need to be able to do something well, be it either taking out tanks/ monstrous creatures or killing infantry etc, this will help you win games and make your troops a force to be feared.

It is sometimes worth taking a small unit of troops, either to hold objective or to maximize the amount of troop squads, for example if you were to take 5 space marine scouts to hold your home objective, sit them in cover and hold that objective and for only 55 points your objective is secure, watch out for any deep striking or out flanking units though. use other troops in larger squads to advance to mid field and take objectives or contest your opponents.

This was just a quick write up, any suggestions/comments please post below.

Thanks

Hawk ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 04:34:46 AM by Hawkeye299 »

Offline Beefcake97

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkeye's guide to troops
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:39:20 AM »
Now I may be wrong but troops in apc/tanks can't hold objectives?  Or is it that tanks do not contest now I think I heard this but don't remember if this is what I heard. I would look it up but my friend is borrowing my bible/rule book. 😉
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!!

Offline mam2087

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »
Now I may be wrong but troops in apc/tanks can't hold objectives?  Or is it that tanks do not contest now I think I heard this but don't remember if this is what I heard. I would look it up but my friend is borrowing my bible/rule book. 😉

That is correct.  In 6th edition rules troops in vehicles cannot hold objectives.   They have to get out.   

Objectives can only be held by scoring units and there are a few exceptions which are outlined on pg 123 in the main rulebook (little RB as well since it all the same).

If you need a RB , I would suggest looking for a little one ( the one that comes in the started set).  Usually you can grab one for around $20.  Cheap considering the big book is $75 US.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:19:50 PM »
With the exception of the Scouring and Big Guns Never Tire Missions.. I'm rather sure it specifically states that Vehicles can hold objectives in those missions!!
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline chronoshifter

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »
" I would recommend one choice per 1000 point"

does that mean only two troops choice for a 2000 point game?

or do you mean the standard 2, then an additional 2? so 4 at 2000 points?

so that means 3 troops at 1000 points?

I'm a new player, thanks!

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 04:34:26 AM »
" I would recommend one choice per 1000 point"

does that mean only two troops choice for a 2000 point game?

or do you mean the standard 2, then an additional 2? so 4 at 2000 points?

so that means 3 troops at 1000 points?

I'm a new player, thanks!

That was actually a typo on my part it was meant to say (and now does) one troop choice per 500 points, so it would be 4 troops at minimum at 2000 points. if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Offline chronoshifter

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »
Hi thanks! that helps me a lot!