Author Topic: New Templars Tactica Thread  (Read 10072 times)

Offline Skari

• Brother Captain
  • SkaredCast
    • View Profile
    • Main Channel Resource
New Templars Tactica Thread
« on: October 27, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »
This is a thread for all Templar specific tactica discussion. This thread is to help us optimize options, discuss great combos and chat about specific VS tactics.

Keep it civil. Keep it constructive.

Let's take it away with a discussion on the efficacy of the Emperors Champion (or is it chump?).
Support me on the Patreon Page:
http://patreon.com/skaredcast

make sure you check out my blog:
http://skaredcast.blogspot.com
youtube channel
http://youtube.com/skaredcast

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
Re: New Templars Tactica Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
I think he is a great model. His stats need some work but i can soo some uses for him. Some things I do not like are that he is the only unique special char with no dedicated warlord trait(which could of hav easily been champion of humanity), for the points he is he should at least have 3w and 3atks and his weapon is silly because u will most likely only evr use the initiative striking instant death stance. Now he is essentially the same with some minor buffs but he isnt a horrible char. Id prefer to use him as back up hq for antiwarlord combat. However in a small game I do occasionally warlord him. He has h is luster still but not the best hq option even for templars even a chaplin is a betr idea in most cases. No army buffing at all. Should hav made him alot cheaper for what he brings to the table. But I love the lore and idea of the champ and I always take him. He is a center piece to any templar army. Just really wish he was a tad bit betr. That being said I usually take him in a crusade squad and let him function as a master sword brother. He does fearless his unit so that might be kool to out put him in some assault termies or some such. Thats about it tho.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »
The champ isn't technically a named character because every crusade has an emperor's champion. There's more than one black sword, and more than one set of EC armor. I honestly haven't found anywhere it says you can't take 2 in one force org.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 10:46:50 PM »
Actually he is a unique char bub which means u can only evr hav one in a given army. As per the rule book.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 01:03:53 AM »
Oh look, that little word that says 'unique' that I didn't see before...
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »
Yea but that little word changes evrything tho.. kinda sucks when u put the champ up with all the other special chars like that. Proly explains his points cost being what it is as well. I jus think they needed to one way or the other with him. To me it kinda feels as tho they tried to do both. He jus doesnt fit where they hav him. But thats just my opinion. Coulda been betr. All that being said he has his place u see im a one hq kinda guy. I especially enjoy the new warlord rules in 6th. So takin a back up hq model that is relatively cheap and almost purely sacrificial is pretty kool for me. Tho I realize that might not work for evryone. It is a good way to make use of some of his betr qualities.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21:12 PM »
Meh, I can't cut corners in the HQ slots. Aside from the emperor's champion, I take a Master of the Forge until I'm finished with with my Castellan and Marshal. I'm gonna take a castellan with artificer armor, space marine bike, and the Primarch's wrath. My Marshal will have two bladed pistols. They're both around 150-160 pts a piece so they'll have some lasting power.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »
Interesting. My high marshal is on a bike art armor with the shield eternal and the burning blade mayb in a bike squad. I really want to do whole calvary charge with templars. Mayb go all out with marshal and command squad on bikes and jus slap the high marshal in there.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 01:52:09 AM »
Next few games I'm gonna play will focus on testing grimaldus, in a Strom smash unit like assault terminators. I'm going to see if I can use that as a Strom wrecking ball in my army.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 04:45:07 PM »
Ah yes the infamous templar deathstar unit. I used to wreak such havoc with the good ol termies... now anymore I think im guna run drk angel deathknights in a venerable raider with an hq as allies but that is either chaos onky or good for one smite turn.. our termies not only lost flavor but got more expensive with the hammer tax. No longer viable imo.. still gota love em tho. I wish I knew of a more cost effective way to field em.

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 07:21:46 AM »
HOW BOUT SOME MOTHER LOVING TEMPLARS TACTICA??? ARE YOU EFFING READY???

Crusader Squads
just a foreword- This isn't exactly the gospel according to Dirty Harry, this isn't some mathhammering optimized function for this unit, but I've had more experience building and testing this unit more than ANY unit in 40K. Each build will include points values and I will give brief explanations for their functions.

20 man classic black tide
10 initiates, 9 with bolt pistol and chainswords, one with a powerfist
10 neophytes, armed with combat weapons.

265 pts

This style of crusader squad puts assault first, shooting second. I've found this unit makes a great tar pit against death star units, monstrous creatures and can lock those suckers down for 2-3 turns. They can't isolate the powerfist because he's just another bro in the bunch. Let's say they for some reason lose combat. BT chapter tactics allow you an additional d3 initiative when going for a sweeping advance. More than likely with I4 already under your belt the only things out running you are space elves or chaos marines marked with slaanesh. I suggest deploying this unit as close to the front edge of your deployment zone as possible. If you know you won't get first turn, put them behind some terrain, or even a land raider. Vehicles are rising in popularity ever since people figured out how to use them as moving bunkers.

** On an additional note, this loadout will benefit greatly from HQ units with bubble effects like Grimaldus and Helbrecht.

I can't believe it's not a tactical squad 134 pts base cost without wargear options
1 sword brethren, 5 initiates, 4 neophytes

I chose to include a sword brother in this loadout because I feel at a model count of 10 the unit might be called on to take more leadership checks. The only constant wargear option I would run this squad would be bolters. Give the neophytes bolters, and what ever initiate isn't using a special weapon or a heavy weapon, give that man a bolter. In my squad I run plasma gun and missile launcher, only because I'm not sure what else I would want to run. If I give the sword brother a weapon, it'll always be a combigrav. This squad will work well as an objective grabber, just carting them around in a rhino. Just be sure to remember to separate Neophyte bolter dice from Initiate bolter dice, and always roll sword brother dice separate. Precision shots ftw.

The Black Jelly inside your Land Raider Donut (aka the land raider shock squad)
10 initiates, 5 neophytes. 215 pts with special weapons included.
Land raider Crusader- 250 pts
the initiates take a power maul and a melta gun. Give the neophytes shotguns. This squad is sort of a balance between the tar pitting blob and the flexible not tactical squad in the sense it utilizes both range and close combat. Its objective is to kill by any means necessary. I also chose to give the initiate a power maul instead of a powerfist because I want the I4. I feel this build complements the land raider crusader's mid range firepower and its assault capability will clean up what ever survives the shots this unit and transport put down at once.

Razorback support squad

5 initiates, 1 sword brother 105 pts
give the initiates bolters, and a plasma gun or a melta gun. Give the sword brother a combi weapon.
Razorback with assault cannon. (my personal preference, but heavy bolters can work too if you want to save points) 75 pts

Now this unit I have a bone to pick for the simple fact that razorbacks cost a lot more than I think they should. It's not a unit I would normally take but I think it can make a great complement to a charging land raider. Potential objective claimer, good obstacle to put between the enemy and a falling back unit. When rushing up the table, you can hide these guys behind terrain for some added survival.

Crusader loadouts I have yet to try-

20 man dakka squad (bolters, bolters, and a heavy bolter)

I'm debating on whether or not I would want to run something like this. No doubt having that many 24 in range weapons on the table in one squad is potent, I just have such a problem with running this style for the simple fact that it reminds me of how the Black Templars can be the effective shooting army they shouldn't be. This is one of those cases where I compromise tactical advantage for principle.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »
Sad to see no ten man dpod with fist and meltagun. No 5in 5neo dpod atk. No 10in wit fist and melta no lightning srrike hairy?.. other then that great insight and work I appreciate the opinion we all run our crusaders differently. Well done mate.

Offline Skari

• Brother Captain
  • SkaredCast
    • View Profile
    • Main Channel Resource
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
I am loving the tactical capabilities of the crusader squad. But I am also loving the ability to take tac squads to increase scoring units when needed.
Support me on the Patreon Page:
http://patreon.com/skaredcast

make sure you check out my blog:
http://skaredcast.blogspot.com
youtube channel
http://youtube.com/skaredcast

Offline Dirty Harry

• Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 04:51:15 AM »
Also keep in mind I wrote that up at like, 5am. >.<  As far as neophytes and initiates in a drop pod, I honestly don't care much for the idea anymore. Without being able to have army wide leadership 10 I feel like a loadout like that will just get punked before it can do any damage. I'm not as inspired to run powerfist and melta in a 10 man anymore because in 5th, I could assault out a rhino as long as it didn't move. I feel like putting a powerfist in a drop pod unit would be a waste simply for the fact I'm not going to get to use that powerfist right there. Fat chance I'm gonna be able to use it anyway, most armies are too afraid to assault. I have to be the one to charge most of the time.

Offline Xorn

• Brother Captain
  • Faith and Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »
Ha. Thats really funny harry i havent had that kind of bad luck. My melta fist atk wrks fine each time for me I thot u said u like the hidden fist somewhere so I had hoped to see some bravado with it outa u is all. I mean if I get enuff pods dwn on turn 1 I could potentially lock someone dwn enuff to force an assault. Jus seems really weird to hear u say ud nevr get to use it. Thats not like u at all.. o well, to each his own I suppose.