Author Topic: Imperial guard allied detachment help  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Imperial guard allied detachment help
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:09:38 PM »
Hey guys and gals

I want to add some IG allies to my sallies army anything goes and I am not to bothered about competitiveness, more that it looks col and contrasts the sallies a bit, so preferably no flamer or melta (apart from hellhounds, they are awesome)  I also need there to be a ten man unit of Kasrkin Squad/storm troopers with 2 plasma guns in the squad, (I think they can take 2) but the question is, what troops and heavy and HQ etc would work well in about 750 points of IG?

My sallies are obviously melta and flamer heavy and are pretty well rounded but have no plasma or grav weapons.

Thanks in advance

Hawk  ;D

Offline Rick17126

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial guard allied detachment help
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 12:50:54 AM »
If your looking for a Heavy Tank ally force...

HQ
Lord Commissar with melta bombs
Troops
10 man Veteran Squad with 2 plasma guns and grenadier doctrine (gives them carapace armor)
         Dedicated Transport: Chimera with pintle mounted Heavy Bolter
Heavy Support
3 x Leman Russ Battle Tanks with hull mounted Heavy Bolter and pintle mounted Heavy Bolter

750 on the dot

I would use the Kasrkin Squad/storm troopers as the veteran squad.

Offline MaxZ

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »
I assume your Salamanders are gonna up close with the enemy, so i think the most effective thing would be to ally in a 30 man platoon with a commisar and company command squad. You can use the kaskrin for the CCS (it is made of veterans) go for 4x plasma, and put them in a chimera to go destroy MCs or anything really. Just make sure a chimera isnt your only armour on the board cause thatll get popped quick. Put grenade launchers and autocannons in the platoon if you want overall firepower, and if you lack anti tank you can go with lascannons.

Or, you could do plasma death with a CCS with 4x plasma in a chimera, and two veteran squads with 3x plasma in each (both in chimeras) It really depends what your salamanders lack i think :)
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=1534.msg16650#new
Imperial guard painting log, 500 points, picture heavy.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:34:36 PM »
I lack plasma in my sallies as I am taking no plasma or grav, however I really want an actual stormtrooper unit, with the deep striking and AP3 weapons, the platoon sounds pretty cool though, but then again so do the vets.

Thanks for the help guys

Hawk  ;D

Offline Rick17126

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »
I lack plasma in my sallies as I am taking no plasma or grav, however I really want an actual stormtrooper unit, with the deep striking and AP3 weapons, the platoon sounds pretty cool though, but then again so do the vets.

Thanks for the help guys

Hawk  ;D

The problem with stormtroopers is that they cost a lot for what you get due to their flexibility and special rules (for 5 models). Hot-shot lasguns and Hot-shot laspistols are AP3, but are only S3 and have reduced range.

Vets cost 15 pts. less for 10 models, can take up to 3 special weapons (including 1 heavy flamer) per squad and have the same stat line except for Save and if you take the grenadier doctrine they get the same 4+ save.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:10:07 PM »
I just love the storm stroopers, regardless of how good they are I will probably be taking some.

Thanks for the advice though.  :D

Hawk

Offline Rick17126

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »
My advise for you for using stormtroopers is go with minimum units without expensive toys, take airborne operations and deep strike them into the opponents backfield to disrupt their support elements or to push units off objectives in or near their deployment zone.

Marines scouts will usually outperform them for their points if used as infiltrators or scouts.

This thread has some other ideas for their use.
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=768.0

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 12:05:55 AM »
That post made some great reading, will definitely run a squad now :) perhaps with a platoon of normal guardsman as troops with commissars and a lord commissar/CCS would also be tempted by a heavy wep squad and some form of leman russ too.

hawk  ;D

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
  • I have been collecting and playing 40k since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 06:01:45 AM »
How are you running the Sallies. If you have a list of what you want to run so far post it up. Don't forget you can take other types of guard Armies from Forge World so if you lacking flyers you can take some Elysian's for flyers or if you want stormtroopers take DKoK allies they can take a form of stormtroopers as troops but with slightly different rules.

Offline Hawkeye299

• The Hawkboss
  • Global Moderator
  • Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »
Sallies so far:

HQ

Terminator captain with thunder hammer and storm shield

Elites

Shooty terminators with Cyclone missile launcher

Troops

Tac squad 10 guys flamer, H bolter and rhino

Tac squad 10 guys meltagun, M melta and rhino

Fast

10 assault marines with 2 flamers, vet SGT and power sword

Land speeder typhoon

If I remember it correctly it is just under 1000 points, the land speeder is not a certainty yet.

basically I want some stuff with a few tricks and also to take some plasma, a battle tank is needed too as well as long range anti tank.

Thanks

Hawk

Offline Packetboy

• Battle Brother
  • Get's Hot... Not anymore. Keep shooting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »
For allied IG I would use a small mechanized force of veterans or storm-troopers command by a Primaris Psyker, for his great lightning power. To that I would had what I consider the best Artillery of the game.

IMPERIAL GUARD HEAVY ARTILLERY CARRIAGE BATTERY
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/h/Heavy_Artillery.pdf

It have the 40k seal of approval

If you want something really powerful you can upgrade the guns to Medusa, but the earth shaker cannon is already really good by itself.
-INCOMING BARRAGE!
-Don't be afraid brothers. It will be a victorious day! Let's  face our enemies standing, with fire in our heart and... Kaboom
        Last word of the rebel leader on Axion 4

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
  • I have been collecting and playing 40k since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 02:34:58 AM »
I completly agree with the Earthshaker battery they rock. They do the job of a Bassie at almost half the price and are a lot tougher vs shooting. I tend to keep a Lord Commisar near mine or even attached to get the Ld10 and stubborn bubble. He also gets to leech the T7 off them making him immune to ID from shooting.

In reguards to the list your running I'd definatly go mech with the IG. Vets and CCS rocking plasmas. If you heart is set on stormies stick them in a Chimera as well have them scout forward and kill something or stick 2 meltas in a 5 man squad and deep strike them in to pop a tank.

Offline MaxZ

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 10:23:13 AM »
Maybe a veteran squad with 3 plasma and a Lascannon, and a lord commissar. They can hold an objective and DEDTROY deep striker termies. Give them camo cloaks for cover saves.  Then take a manticore for decent long range anti tank for cheap, or take hydras to shoot flyers.
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=1534.msg16650#new
Imperial guard painting log, 500 points, picture heavy.

Offline Packetboy

• Battle Brother
  • Get's Hot... Not anymore. Keep shooting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »
Posted by: Mr. Sinji
on: November 01, 2013, 11:34:58 PM Insert Quote
I completely agree with the Earthshaker battery they rock. They do the job of a Bassie at almost half the price and are a lot tougher vs shooting. I tend to keep a Lord Commissar near mine or even attached to get the Ld10 and stubborn bubble.

I prefer to use the Comissar Leman Russ to provide LD buble, but to use it you need to use the Armored Battle Group army list. (Which is awesome) Leman Russ as HQ, Leman Russ Commissar Elite, Leman Russ as Troops, Artillery Carriage as Heavy Support.  All upgrade for around 625 pts.

That makes great allies
-INCOMING BARRAGE!
-Don't be afraid brothers. It will be a victorious day! Let's  face our enemies standing, with fire in our heart and... Kaboom
        Last word of the rebel leader on Axion 4

Offline xDalee

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 02:27:26 AM »
i agree with the others, definatly look to forgeworld rules for a tank company, can always use a vanquisher with plasma cannons to get some plasma and antitank in, normal battletanks are also very good ofc :), and earthshaker cannons mmm, i saw DKoK in a tourney at my local and we took no earth shakers i was just questioning why seeming as there is only two non-power armour armies in the tourney!
Regards,

Dalee~