Author Topic: Imperial Guard Sabres working with White Scars (Has list)  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
  • I have been collecting and playing 40k since 1996
    • View Profile
Imperial Guard Sabres working with White Scars (Has list)
« on: November 01, 2013, 05:09:39 AM »
So since 6th ed Dropped and flyers and Artillary become awsome the Sabre gun has been an auto include in all my Guard lists. From turn one I can be putting down some heavy Twin Linked Lascannon fire and have some T7 guys to camp on objectives. I love these guys as they can drop Hell Drakes before they can kill my scoring units and almost completly negate my enemys flyers all together. Just curious on how other people like to run them and what units people have been using to work with them on the table.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:22:37 PM by Mr. Sinji »

Offline AXEBLADE

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Guard Sabres (Forge World)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
I run 2 lascannon sabres (separate squads) at 1750 and 2K points.
I don't generally try and hold objectives with them as that makes them a bigger target. If I do then I have them on the very edge of 3" and have another squad there to be the primary holder.

One thing that I really want to do is pass the relic to one of these guys. T7, 3+ save, 4+ cover save with 2 wounds that they have to get through before they get to the guy itself.

Offline Packetboy

• Battle Brother
  • Get's Hot... Not anymore. Keep shooting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »
I never take the Las-Cannon, it is always the Auto-cannon, or when I fight the Ork army of my little Brother I like the Heavy Stubber version.

3 Stub Version output almost 20 T-L shot every turn. It much an average of 5 to 9 orks a turn and will drop any ork flyer you shoot at. That how they work for me.

-INCOMING BARRAGE!
-Don't be afraid brothers. It will be a victorious day! Let's  face our enemies standing, with fire in our heart and... Kaboom
        Last word of the rebel leader on Axion 4

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:08:27 AM »
I have been considering running some Stubber Sabres for the Anti-Infantry DS power they put out and having the third Sabre in the Squad rocking a search light for night fight missions as I have no other Searchlights in my Sabre Army. My other option was running Cotaez and/or a GK Strike Squad for the anti DS abilities they provide but now with the new White Scars rules I'm tempted to take some of those as Allies to fill some other minor holes in my list. I feel the best balance when running sabres is to have some good mobility with rest of the army.

Offline AXEBLADE

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:57:55 AM »
I run the lascannons as I have difficulty in taking down AV12 fliers (valk/vendettas or storm raven variants)

At 2K my army has 80 boots on the ground, 2 hellhounds, a russ, 3 chimeras with heavy flamers on the front and 2 earthshaker cannons. I think adding some heavy stubbers to kill more infantry may be a tad over the top.

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
What are people supporting there Sabres with?

I've been running mine with Vendetta Support filled with either a PCS loaded with flamers or a vet squad loaded with flamers. I try to keep the squad cheep and scoring for late game objective grabs and a bit of extra horde control. I also like the Earthshaker Carriages because they are also Artillary so mesh well with the Sabres.

What I haven't tried but would really like to is some allied Bike Squads my primary choice for this role would be either white scars or eldar because they can get a couple of scoring bike units and can also fill a few other slots with bikes as well. These units would have the primary role of harassment, late game objective grabs/contets, some units with great mobility which can operate forward of the main bulk of my army and also some CC hitting power if I need it.

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »
Heres another thought that popped into my head this morning. If taking IG as the ally I can still run a Troops choice that sits at around 600-800 points that I can run as MSU or a blob the Sabres acting on there own and I can still stick the PCS in a Vendetta. My HQ would be a LC which would attach to an Earthshaker Battery with 3x Earthshakers. He would extend his bubble to reach thas many of the Sabres as I could fit him under.

I can then run a SM main made up of bikes for that forward pushing unit. That way I could run Khan to give them all the scout move (I could even put him in a blob to give ATSKNF & have a captian to do all the dirty work in combat). The rest of the army would be a mix of Stormtalons and maybe a Command Squad on bike.

How does that sound in theroy? Would anyone want to face an army like this?

Offline Packetboy

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:12:44 PM »
It is good, but I never run more than 2 earthshaker in one Squad, it's overkill. If you want massive amount of blast and something worth it to put in squad of 3, I would go with the Quad Launcher at 4 small blast each. They are cheaper so for the same price of 2 HAGC (Heavy Artillery Gun Carriage) you can take 3 Quad Launcher.
-INCOMING BARRAGE!
-Don't be afraid brothers. It will be a victorious day! Let's  face our enemies standing, with fire in our heart and... Kaboom

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »
At the moment I've been running 3 squads of 2. They do a decent job. The best part is clearing out guys behind an Agies and then having marbo pop up turn 2 and man there Quad gun.

1 squad of 2 will do the job though and it gives me 300 more points to spend on bike and flyers.

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 04:13:55 AM »
So this is what I've come up with as you can see even though the Marines are the primary detachment the IG are still the majority force. Khan gives all the bike scout as well as all the other benifits the White Scars get basicly they push forwards and wreck things. Against an army that can't really hold its own in combat Khan will cruise up with the bikes and against an army that can Khan will cower in the back with the 20 man blob behind the agies line.

The Stormtalons and Vendetta do the flyer thing and the detta will drop off the PCS for a late game objective grabs/contest

The blob kinda sucks but are required for the sabres so I tooled them out to kill tanks at range and threw in the the Commisar to get stubborn.

The Earthshakers are there for some ranged Horde control they can also be handy for clearing out guys behind Agies lines

So hows this list so far any ideas from anyone or minor list tweeks here and there?

IG/SM 1850

HQ- Kor'sarro Kahn, Moondraken
150pts

T- Bike Squad
5x Bikes, 2 with meltaguns, Sgt Combi-Melta, Attack bike Multi-melta
190pts

T- Bike Squad
5x Bikes, 2 with Grav Guns, Sgt Combi-Grav
145pts

T- Bike Squad
5x Bikes, 2 with Grav Guns, Sgt Combi-Grav
145pts

FA- Stormtalon Gunship, Skyhammer Cannon
125pts

FA- Stormtalon Gunship, Skyhammer Cannon
125pts

Fort- Agies Defense Line - Comm's Relay
70pts

-Allied IG-

HQ- Lord Commisar
70pts

T- Infantry Platoon
-PCS, Bolter, 4x Flamers 52pts (Vendetta)
-Infantry Squad, Lascannon, Commisar 105pts
-Infantry Squad, Lascannon 70pts
-2x Sabre- TL- Lascannon, 2x Extra Crew Member
104pts
104pts
104pts
TOTAL 539pts

FA- Vendetta Gunship, Heavy Bolter Sponsons
140pts

HS- 2x Earth Shaker Gun Batterys
150pts

TOTAL 1849
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:01:43 AM by Mr. Sinji »

Offline Packetboy

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »
I not sure if 3 sabre Las-Cannon are necessary. Khan and his bikes are super fast and can deal with a lot of tanks and big bugs rapidly. I would swap 2 sabre squad to auto-cannon to had more shots, and give better protection against mass transport vehicule list and hoards.

With the 60 some point you save you could bring even more firepower, I thing of Marbo. He is a elite slot for your IG force and combine with Khan super fast assault unit you can really play trick on your opponent deployment at the begin of the game. You can also force your opponent him and not your more expensive bike unit.

-INCOMING BARRAGE!

Offline Mr. Sinji

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 08:19:22 PM »
Khan and the bikes scout ahead and cause havoc. If I'm worried about giving up slay the warlord Khan can hide in the blob. The IG hang back behind the Agies and shoot the crap out of everything. I've gone with MSU bikes to get more on the board with special weapons. I dropped the Attack Bikes and combi-weapons to get a 5th squad of bikes. 5 squads can go after 5 targets where as 4 can only go after 4. Also 5 squads needs to focused on by atleast 5 opposing units to be brought down. This list has 12 scoring units as well which is always nice.

So looking for some feed back. Any suggestions or tweeks to make this list any better?

IG/SM 1850

HQ- Kor'sarro Kahn, Moondraken
150pts

T- Bike Squad
5x Bikes, 2x Melta Guns, Sgt Melta Bombs,
130pts

T- Bike Squad
5x Bikes, 2x Melta Guns, Sgt Melta Bombs,
130pts

T- Bike Squad
5x Bikes, 2 with Grav Guns
135pts