Author Topic: Possible Comp Idea  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Possible Comp Idea
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »
So I posted up an article on a possible way to handle the craziness that is current 40k competitive environement.  Interested in hearing people thoughts.  If you want to read the full article it is on my blog.
http://connecticon40k.blogspot.com/

But the summary is

Use standard FOC as is current with Superheavies and fortifications.  With the following change

HQ <= 25% of total points
Troops >= 25% total points
Elites <= 25% of total points
Fast <= 25% of total points
Heavies <= 25% of total points
Dedicated Transports <= 25% of total points
Lords of War <= 25% of total points
Fortifications <= 10%

with an additional 5-10% flexible points to spend on Elites, Fast, Heavies.

what do people think about this set up as a method to somewhat balance the game.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Comp Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
It is NOT easy to be a TO these days, never is, but GW isn't making it easy are they.

I'd rather see and play in an event like this with some sort of point matrix over just the knee-jerk reaction that is happening all over the internet now- banning units, books, etc. I might never play X unit for my own reasons, but that doens't mean my opponent shouldn't.

Actually that idea is also one of the things IMHO that fantasy got right.

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:46:29 PM »
I agree for any number of reasons,  if you remove the FOC unit limits entirely (like fantasy) it scales better etc.

This system sets up an environment where something's won't be in play because you cannot afford them, or at least cannot max them out.  But does not entire lyre move anything (assuming points go high enough.

Offline Bowlzee

• Keeper of Secrets
  • Supporter
  • Brother Captain
  • Slave to Slaanesh
    • View Profile
    • Slave To Slaanesh
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »
I do like the FOC percentage limits. Have always thought 40k should be like this. Stops people from choosing minimum troops, which to me is not fluffy!

The Lords of War rule in HH works great though, which is the <=25%. This means you won't see they massively hard hitting Titan's until you reach bigger games.

Offline Kayreios

• Brother Captain
  • "This is the best that bikes are going to get..."
    • View Profile
    • Painted Gribblies - Miniature Critique + WIP + Blargh
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »
Or give soft points for composition.  My only complaint about comp is when it is not openly advertized, or the criteria are not advertized.  What is described here I would have no issue with.

BUT, be careful, if you give soft points, make sure you have the right ratio of soft/hard points.  There is nothing worse than a tourney where half the participants don't get a shot at the top table from out of the gate.

K

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:17:30 PM »
Yeah no particular soft scores just restriction...I usually award best sportsman and best painted...as well as best general and at larger events best overall.

Offline hilty26

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 07:18:24 AM »
I 100% agree with the percentile restrictions.  It will precent the builds that are keeping people from running specific builds. I do think the extra 10% should be usable to reduce the troops required or raise hq fa elites or heavy. Totalling 10% across these types.

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »
Then issue with adding 10% to HQ is currently that tones down the 2 most abusive builds in the game...if you bump it up they come right back.  Now I could hard comp those builds..

The reduction on troops is an interesting idea....I'll need to give it some thought.

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 05:52:37 AM »
So I posted up an article on a possible way to handle the craziness that is current 40k competitive environement.  Interested in hearing people thoughts.  If you want to read the full article it is on my blog.
http://connecticon40k.blogspot.com/

But the summary is

Use standard FOC as is current with Superheavies and fortifications.  With the following change

HQ <= 25% of total points
Troops >= 25% total points
Elites <= 25% of total points
Fast <= 25% of total points
Heavies <= 25% of total points
Dedicated Transports <= 25% of total points
Lords of War <= 25% of total points
Fortifications <= 10%

with an additional 5-10% flexible points to spend on Elites, Fast, Heavies.

what do people think about this set up as a method to somewhat balance the game.

I like this idea of comp, rather than restricting units, banning units/abilities etc, a pts comp per section is certainly an interesting!

Looking at the comp above for a 1850pt event:

HQ <= 25% of total points = max spend of 463pts
Troops >= 25% total points = min spend of 463pts
Elites <= 25% of total points = max spend of 463pts
Fast <= 25% of total points = max spend of 463pts
Heavies <= 25% of total points = max spend of 463pts
Dedicated Transports <= 25% of total points = = max spend of 463pts
Fortifications <= 10% = max spend of 180pts

It won't stop spamming units without additional rules, but it's certainly an interesting idea of comp. I like it! :D
AKA: Rob

Element Games Referral Code: ROB745

Embolden Eldar Log