Author Topic: Tyranids: White Dwarf Stat Leak  (Read 8647 times)

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Tyranids: White Dwarf Stat Leak
« on: December 20, 2013, 12:29:28 PM »
Tyranids: White Dwarf Stat Leak
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tyranids: White Dwarf Stat Leak
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »
Rippers are "Infantry" so 'Scoring' right? Despite being 'Swarm' models? Man I hope so, I think I have 12 bases....
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline Chris Vradis

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
Great !

Thank you. It still difficult to read it but it looks nice. I'll definetly enjoying to discover playing nids ! ! !

Looking foward to get your review/rant ;-) about its codex !
Take care Fritz and cheers from Switzerland !

Chris
"They'll never know what happened to them !"

Offline Pommit

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »
Hm. Can't quite make out the special rules for the rippers, but I hope there's something to justify the 17 points per base. 'Cron Scarabs just seem so much better.  :P

Thanks for posting though!

Offline TheSoothsayer1400

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
looks like Hormagaunts are pretty much the same, no surprise there I guess.
I just hope that I can mix up my lists instead of just taking no brainer units like Hive Tyrants, Tervigons, Hive Guard, etc.

and looking forward to your coverage of the new codex!

Offline Loudmouth

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »
I was really hoping for revamped Hormagaunts. So was my girlfriend.
Still excited for the new nids codex.

Offline nurglesrott

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »
Rippers are "Infantry" so 'Scoring' right? Despite being 'Swarm' models? Man I hope so, I think I have 12 bases....

Probably not scoring... nurglings are the same way. Troops, but swarms and so can't score.
Rot, glorious rot.

Offline lobo60

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »
Cheaper models (except rippers) I am really excited to see how they play, soooo many ideas :)

Offline DCannon4Life

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »
Color me stupid (I haven't played 'Nids since 4th); why the fudge would I fill up my troop slots with non-scoring units? I wish they could be taken as a piece of wargear for big bugs....
First, you must learn Balance. --Miyagi

Offline Coach

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 04:52:31 PM »
Really looking for this codex to shake things up.  It would be awesome if hormagaunts and GS can run and attack like in 5th.  This would be a great equalizer and bring a cool aspect back to Nid assault.

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 05:20:22 PM »
well think about what oyu want to do with your homragaunts. I too was bummed to learn that it looks like toxin sac hormagaunts are the same price. But naked hormagaunts are 1 pt cheaper. you can get 20 of them for 100 pts. they (according to the rumors) get d6+3 to run and are fleet. so they move 6"+d6(rerollable)+3" on turn 1. that should set them up to be in assault range by turn 2.

Now you have set your opponant up with a choice. They can wipe out the hormagaunt threat or deal with your second line which will likely include your heavy hitting MCs. If they choose to shoot your MCs the hormagaunts will most likely get in to CC on turn 2, tying up any unit that can't hit and run. If they shoot your hormagaunts, that is 1 more turn your heavy hitting units get moving without taking fire.

i am cooking up a list idea, much like the wave theory Fritz posted about, of a set 'em up and knock 'em down list including hormagaunts. if you can find a way to get some indirect fire support via biovores/ the exocrine if it has indirect fire. you can punch holes in gunlines and also include a trygon and company. Add more salt and if the rumors of a trygon prime being an HQ option AND if there is a synapse upgrade that grants eternal warrior. Trygon with raveners becomes devestating.

Hormagaunts blast forward, backfield artillary tries to make a hole for the trygon. the trygon comes up in the hole with some raveners.  to top it all off, what if we get a hive fleet version of SM chapter tactics? hmm... could be interesting. i've been painting hormagaunts all week. for whatever reason 5 ppm vs 6 ppm is the breakeven for naked horms for me. the +3 to the run is awesome for bounding leap as you can use your fleet reroll on turn 1 for your run distance.

sorry for the wall, i am pumped for the bugs!
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Offline Legendary Moose Rider

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »
Sweet, Thanks for posting!

Offline Skringly

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 11:41:29 PM »
Rippers my buy the Deepstrike rule for 2pts a model?

Deepstriking Rippers? Hmmm....  ::)

Offline Dirty Harry

• Marshal of the Phoenician Crusade
  • Supporter
  • Regent Of Terra
  • I'lll abhor the $#!7 out of that witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
It's a small caveat at this point but I was really hopping for better potential out of ripper swarms. The deepstriking upgrade was available previously and they could take twin linked spine fists. Spine fists were honestly the selling point to make them deep strike.
Don't try making a unit unkillable. its a waste of time and the dice gods laugh at you for wasting your time. Dedicate a unit to a job and make sure it does it til it's either dead or running.