Author Topic: Metallic with Blue highlight  (Read 1213 times)

Offline rablo92

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Metallic with Blue highlight
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:40:17 PM »
Hi, I have a blue theme in my eldar(teclis blue and lothern blue highlight) and i'd like to use warlock bronze as my base colour in my dire avenger. Can you guys suggest a way of using a non metallic blue highlight i.e. teclis/ lothern blue to achieve a nice highlight without it looking disjointed? I love the deep bronze colour of warlock bronze and i want it too look natural on the model.

another colour which i use in my army is bone i.e. ushabti bone( old bleached bone).

I have painted 12 guardians with blue armour(white primer) with some plates being bone and rid trim on a black sand base with dry brushed grey which you can see in the attachment... its the first time painting with some thought and I'm still bringing my skills up to grade but i understand a lot of techniques its just that i have to practice them. Sorry for the photo quality took it with my phone

Sorry for the rant!
Rablo

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
  • Angels have two wings for a reason
    • View Profile
Re: Metallic with Blue highlight
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »
might consider some blue Patina around the edges of the bronze
and I wish I could get my phone to take that clear of pictures

Offline rablo92

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:56:48 PM »
and how do you suggest i do that? warlock bronze mixed with blue or just successive thin layers of blue? always watered down off

Offline Kezef

• Chapter Master
  • Angels have two wings for a reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
If I can find the tutorial i watched where the person was doing a blue patina on bronze, I'll post it up for you

if you dont mind tutorials

Edit: found the Tutorial on you tube from The Painting Clinic.

How To paint a Dark Elf Cauldron

he goes over his blue patina as an example when painting his custom cauldron of blood, I believe he chooses to do it in blue to tie it to his theme, and gives an alternative using green.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:16:14 PM by Kezef »

Offline Kayreios

• Brother Captain
  • "This is the best that bikes are going to get..."
    • View Profile
    • Painted Gribblies - Miniature Critique + WIP + Blargh
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:05:42 PM »
Your dry brush looks good on the base,

On a test mini, try the bronze you have on the weapon with a very light dry brush of the light blue, make sure you get most of the paint off the brush first and do the dry brush strokes slowly and one at a time to see the effect.

Then your main issue will be matt vs glossy look because dry brush looks matt, so I would either do the drybrush first and then wash/ink or wash/ink again lightly after the dry brush.

In honesty, I think your weapons look fine without the blue though.

Cheers