Author Topic: Company Command Squad.  (Read 1875 times)

Offline gavinduff

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Company Command Squad.
« on: June 29, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »
Hi. I was looking at the CCS for imperial guard. It looks like the logical HQ choice.  I have been looking at 2 builds:

Commander with 4 vets with plasma in a chimera, being very aggressive.

Commander, regimental standard, officer of the fleet, astropath, in a passive supportive role.

Any thoughts?

Offline Raggbur

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Company Command Squad.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
My setup is very much always the same when it comes to CCS.

3x Plasma's
1x Regimental Standard
Chimera

But this doesn't force me to be agressive, it only allows me to be very versitile: it can shoot, allows me to avoid my troops from running off the board and won't be killed the moment my opponent focus fires on them.

I do take a Primaris in a vendetta as my warlord though, as to avoid losing that point.

Or, if I'm playing a blob, I'll try to hide a basic CCS, just for the orders, somwhere in a piece of terrain and use points somewhere else.

Not a fan of the astropath/officer of the fleet. I want the exact opposite! I want to stay in reserve as long as possible, and get my opponent on the table as soon as possible. That's the best thing you could wish for in an objective-based game.
We must forgive our enemies...
But not before they are hanged

My Blog: raggburscodex.blogspot.com
Aaaand Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Raggbur/feed?activity_view=3

Offline Tankage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
If your going passive I would say

- regimental standard meh not to pricey but lose weapon slot
- take some sniper rifles 5 pts each and give you a chance of dealing with mc's and char's that get close
- if your going to hang back and not move an autocannon is also reasonable
- Officer of the fleet - i only take if im expecting flyers but dont have much room for dedicated anti air, which is most times as i fill heavy slot with manticores (maybe DSM for fun) and medusa's! one of the few combos that scare the new tau i've played against recently (heavy support + a few lucky rolls, wiped out 1 super comander, 2 battle suit units + sky ray in turn one! he only had riptide + hammerhead left on table and rest of army took 3 wounds off rip tide and exploded hammerhead in turn 2 none of his reserves came in!)

Personaly I take a ic as warlord and stick it in a blob, lets me play around with ccs (which is v squishy and if you take it as warlord you dont really dont want to be aggresive with it) while giving my warlord a huge number of ablative wounds.
"There is only one principle of war and that's this. Hit the other fellow, as quickly as you can, as hard as you can, where it hurts him most, when he ain't lookin" - Bill Slim

Offline Raggbur

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
@ tankage: although I do agree on some points, there are others that I think are really open for discussion

- regimental standard meh not to pricey but lose weapon slot
Unless you're only taking a blob with an IC in your back field, a regimental standard is almost a must when taking a CCS! LD8 doesn't cut it in most occassions, as will many tau players with a dead ethereal agree!
Sure, a weapon slot, but you don't really need to go all 4 plasma, I think.

- take some sniper rifles 5 pts each and give you a chance of dealing with mc's and char's that get close
Sniper Rifles? On guard? No sorry, really, I have to strongly disagree. You have acces to all the special weapons around... Why would a guardsmen need a sniper?
Sure, yes, you can take on monsterous creatures with snipers... But IG have plenty of answers to take on those buggers already I think.
Characters... Yes, maybe, but again, I'd rather have melta that allows me to heat up a tank or a plasma that can take on way more than a sniper, really.

- if your going to hang back and not move an autocannon is also reasonable
- Officer of the fleet - i only take if im expecting flyers but dont have much room for dedicated anti air, which is most times as i fill heavy slot with manticores (maybe DSM for fun) and medusa's! one of the few combos that scare the new tau i've played against recently (heavy support + a few lucky rolls, wiped out 1 super comander, 2 battle suit units + sky ray in turn one! he only had riptide + hammerhead left on table and rest of army took 3 wounds off rip tide and exploded hammerhead in turn 2 none of his reserves came in!)
Well, although I do agree with most points there, I don't agree with the officer of the fleet.
Why would I want to allow my opponent to keep his forces in reserve? Sure, when you're tabling/leaf-blowing somebody away... But you can't plan a strategy around tabeling all your opponents turn 1.

If I place something in reserve, it means that I want to keep it alive for as long as possible, hopefully till turn 4 to take objectives a turn later. Or if I'm taking flyers (which is, I must admit 99% of the time), I want them to come on the turn after my opponent.
If there was a character that would allow me to do just that, I'd take it right away...

So the last thing you want is that your opponent gets that! Nothing is more frustrating to see is say a Necron player being able to hold his Nightscythes in reserve while your vendetta turns up.

Also, if someone's really relying on reserve rolls (including myself), he'll often take a comm relay, which kinda beats the OotF's ability.
We must forgive our enemies...
But not before they are hanged

My Blog: raggburscodex.blogspot.com
Aaaand Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Raggbur/feed?activity_view=3

Offline Tankage

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:58:59 PM »
@ Raggbur

Appreciate your points, always nice to have a good discussion.

- I take snipers (in my ccs) primarily because of the range, I like to get in several shots/play the odds if i can and it normally hangs back for orders (without the BS4 the snipers would be a bit of a waste). I also have a completely irrational dislike of plasma! I also generaly take other stuff to deal with vehicles and like to have a bit of redundancy/flexibility.

- Officer of the fleet is simply because i dont have flyers/anti air (should have made that clearer) while most of the guys i have played against have a lot of flyers. Therefore 30pts for the chance that their flyers might come in a turn or two later (i.e. a turn or two less shooting) has paid for itself more often than not over the battles I have played.

- Yeah fair cop - the tau example is little extreme - but hey most people seem to be struggling (including me) against optimised tau lists at the moment so thought i might spread some hope about :-)

- I do tend to take a commisar lord (sometimes primaris if im not trying to be fluffy) and stick him in a guard blod as my warlord. I have generaly only taken a standard if I have seperate hvy wpn teams in my list. For orders genraly and for the bring it down (I think thats the one though my memory could be going) especially. Which is why i said meh i.e. not really fussed that much/depends (again should have been clearer!)

- On the Vendetta would love one (or 9) but I have other things im looking to get first (getting into wfb as well).

Reading your response I just realised i have never played necrons! Must start doing some research because now (knowing how my luck normally goes) my next ten battles will all be Necron.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:24:41 PM by Tankage »
"There is only one principle of war and that's this. Hit the other fellow, as quickly as you can, as hard as you can, where it hurts him most, when he ain't lookin" - Bill Slim

Offline Skari

• Brother Captain
  • SkaredCast
    • View Profile
    • Main Channel Resource
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:56:40 PM »
I like the plasma one, especially with the change to rapid fire weapons. You can stay in the chimera and move it 6" and shoot up to 24" and support the troops when needed.
Support me on the Patreon Page:
http://patreon.com/skaredcast

make sure you check out my blog:
http://skaredcast.blogspot.com
youtube channel
http://youtube.com/skaredcast

Offline Rick17126

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »
I'm currently running a banner/plasma squad in Chimera.

Besides their normal abilities, remember that advisers are characters so they can accept challenges and make challenges in the case that your CCS gets engaged, ie. to buy time (for example officer of the fleet after enemy reserves are on board or astropath in the late game after yours are on board,  are prime times to sacrifice them since they have no role at that point).