Author Topic: Tyranids in Apoc?  (Read 2852 times)

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Tyranids in Apoc?
« on: June 30, 2013, 12:46:51 PM »
Hey guys,

i'm thinking about rolling with my nids in apoc with the new rules coming out. anyone have any experience playing them in apoc?

looking forward to hundreds of gaunts on the table, gogo starship troopers!
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Offline IDICBeer

• Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Chapter Master
  • The Wonders of Warhammer 40k
    • View Profile
    • IDICBeer 40k
Re: Tyranids in Apoc?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »
Never played Apocalypse, but I was surprise not to see a Tervigon formation on the web!

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:44:56 AM »
i love love the idea of 7000 points of a Nid swarm vs some poor IG guys holed up in a bunker or something. Starship Troopers anyone?

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »
and I agree with you Nick, kind of lacking without a Tervigon posse, maybe 3 tervigons and 4 broods of termagants. Their perk would allow you to reroll your spawns but take the second result no matter what to possibly keep them from spawning out.

I was toying with some 7000 pt lists last night in army builder for S&G's.

I don't know why I keep adding models to the "to paint" list but Bartertown is the devil, I can't walk away from the deals!

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 07:18:50 AM »
I've played them many times in APOC....

Big guys like swarmlord sadly die in a turn from all the shooting, esp if you have super heavies....

HUGE swarm lists will tire you out- be ready for the day moving all your models, but it is fun.

The most fun I had was with selective assassin type lists since there is no force org- multiple Y-stealer broods busting out of terrain- of which there is TONS and killing dudes. Zopes + doom dropping into the back field in pods, lictors going BOO, stuff like that which can break through the mass of models coming at you, and suddenly "appear" and strike.

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »
Fritz, that does sound fun. i also like the idea of Carnifex pod rain.  maybe even a 2000 pt pod wing to go with my swarm (warriors, gaunts, fexes)

this is a long term goal that a friend and i have, he has GK/IG and i'm really interested in Nids on the apoc scale just for the epic feel of an army about to be overwhelmed by the swarm. i don't have a points goal, i think i'll keep collecting until i feel like i have enough.

Currently i have about 3500 pts worth of Tyranids not including some old melee warriors (scything/rending combo) and the plan is just to slowly build as i find the great deals on B-town and Ebay and such. If you are patient and wait for the deals and are willing to do some repairs you can really score this stuff pretty cheap.

i am really trying to convince my buddy to buy a Baneblade as well because frankly, the baneblade looks amazing. i love the cinematic aspect of apoc games.

So it's Eldar and Nids for standard 40s, Nids for apoc. Sadly i think the Blood Angels are sitting it out for a while. I eve saw Jawa turn heretic and assemble Tau! say it ain't so!

Offline Colby

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
First thing you want is Hierophant Bio - Titan or at least you do now, that thing is just amazingly amazing. Then take whatever you feel like taking but try and take the really gnarly formations.

I do recommend taking some rhinos as you can stuff the swarmlord in there as he's a monstrous creature so one swarmlord fits into one rhino. People will tell you that you can't do that but you can. There is no force org and one monstrous creature can be stuffed into one rhino.

Also because there is no force org, I'd say take like 5 or 6 dooms. You want the stratagem where you can deploy in on your opponents side of the table. But be careful because if they take that stratagem that trumps the one you have it might be a problem.

Also, as a side note,  you know in a 3000 point apocalypse game you can take like 150 Marbos from the Imperial Guard codex. You should also try and play that when you can because its hilarious.

Offline Furio

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 04:30:33 AM »
Whilst I love the idea of swarm armies I really dislike them in apocalypse. They just take to long to play with and in a game that usually (in my gaming group at least) struggles to get past turn 4 I'd rather not have to put up with 2 hours of moving, shooting and running hundreds of small models. This applies to ork hordes, ig hordes etc etc as well. However if you bring movement trays thats another matter and can be truely epic.

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:10:46 PM »
good point on the movement trays. i haven't had a chance to pick up the Apoc book yet but i plan to this weekend possibly. really interested in building the giant swarm.

Offline Thatguyoverthere11

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »
D-weapons make me sad now.  1 D weapon could kill the Heirophant in a single shot now.  If they roll a 6 to wound, on a 4+ your guy just dies (10+ wounds with NO SAVES OF ANY KIND!)

Formations are free now, which is cool.

I think the endless swarm will make a huge appearance now.  You roll a D3 and if it's under the turn number you have to snap shot at the gaunts... which means after Turn 3 you can't fire templates at them (AWESOME).

I've just played 1 game so far and it was against wave serpent spam so... not a very good indicator of what Tyranids are like in Apoc.  The lack of "assault from reserve" formations disturbs me.  Even the genestealer infestation can't assault anymore.

Harridans are the best GC now.

Oh, and stomp attacks... on a 6 you just remove everyone under the template with no saves lol.