Author Topic: Zangetsu's WIP project log / to do list!  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
Zangetsu's WIP project log / to do list!
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:17:48 AM »
I've come to the realisation that I need to organise and prioritise my painting otherwise the task as a whole just seems overwhelming. I'm not a great painter by any stretch of the imagination but hopefully I'll show improvement as the project log develops and I start to get some completed models under my belt. I have a few armies I collect namely: Eldar, Dark Eldar (new for 2015), CSM and Dark Angels though I have bits and bobs from other armies which are more long term project oriented bits. I'll start off by listing what I have to do in it's entirety I want to try to get something done every week be it a small squad or a vehicle or just striping on of my 'ebay bargins' ready to use.

Eldar (131 models)

I got given a whole heap of Eldar from The Terrain Tutor so i should probably go through this and work out exactly what I have and update the list accordingly.

1 Avatar,
1 Autarch,
Maugan-Ra,
Barroth,
60 Guardians,
4 Guardian jetbikes,
6 Howling Banshee's,
18 Dire Avenger's(8 painted),
3 Support Weapon Platforms with crew,
1 Striking Scorpion,
7 Rangers,
5 warp spiders,
2 wave serpents,
2 Falcon Grav Tanks,
2 fire prism / Night Spinner Grav Tanks(1 painted),
3 Vyper Jetbike's,
3 War Walker's,
1 crimson hunter exarch,

Dark Eldar
Dark Eldar Battleforce,
2 Venoms,
Ravager,

For my Chaos Space Marines I have the following (51 models):
Everything from the DV limited edition boxed set (Lord, 6 Chosen, 1 Helbrute, 20 cultists),
Abaddon,
10 marines,
1 Rhino,
1 Forgefiend,
1 Heldrake,

I've started collecting an OOP army too in the form of some Praetorian Imperial guard, a labour of love as I will not use anything other than gw models for it to keep it authentic so far I have:

praetorian commisar,
3 heavy weapons teams,
15 praetorian guardsmen,

Orks (building towards a speed freaks list)
2 trukks (I may convert one to a personal mekboy junka)
Mek for conversion into mek on bike,
3 deff kopta's,

And last but not least I have the following for my Dark Angels(34 models):
Everything from the DV limited edition boxed set (Company master, Chaplin, Librarian, 5 termies, 10 marines, 3 bikes),
Dark Angels Battleforce (6 bikes, attack bike and a landspeeder),
5 man assault squad,

So all in all that's 216 models if i've worked it out right. Plenty to do and updates will follow. :D

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
Re: Zangetsu's WIP project log / to do list!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
Quick update on my motivational painting bet with Derek, nothing too special at the moment, some basic highlighting done on the majority of the models and work started on detail on first model.

Offline MacabreDerek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »
Woot! Pics! :3

So since it was brought up in my own log, everyone seems to think you should paint with the arms (and in your case Head) removed and glue later.  Do you find the paint on the joints actually make for a weaker bond?  (More than one of my models has been guilty of falling appart in the transport case, so a solid bond is actually more of a concern for me).

Also, is that an air-brush I detect?  Looks primed with a smattering of white, why is that?  Fancy lighting effect perhaps?
Motivational Painting Thread
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=2516.0

The Painting Arrangments - Place your bets!
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=2536.0

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:53:26 PM »
I'm loosely following the buypainted how to paint termies guide, he uses a grey highlight which admittedly looks quite bright in the pics, this gets dulled down later with washes.

Yes I am guilty of owning an airbrush and trying to use it to get the basecoat and also base highlighting done, I'm still getting to grips with it but I can only get better with practice!!

These are old school metal termies so the joints on them are pretty solid, I may pin them for extra security but usually I'll put the legs and torso together and then paint everything else separately because I'm still new to painting so I struggle at the best of times with the detail work so having better access to the detail bits helps.

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 01:48:20 PM »
Further update all of the bone / horn detail done most of the silver base colour on the weapons / detail done, lots more still to be done. The pictures arent the most clear and the bright white on the armour will be very dulled down with inks . :D

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 11:46:58 AM »
So that's my termies pretty much done, I've not touched the bases as I'm yet to decide on a theme for my boards / bases. I'm pretty happy with them overall considering I've not painted anything for about 10 years I'm going to keep pushing myself on future works and trying new techniques etc

Offline MacabreDerek

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 11:53:42 AM »
Wow, even if it's basic airbrushing, there's a lot of nice effects I would love to have on my units.  Is there a way to create a finer mist of spray?  Or is that a case of dependance on the quality of the airbrush?
Motivational Painting Thread
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=2516.0

The Painting Arrangments - Place your bets!
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=2536.0

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 12:09:52 PM »
I think a smaller brush would help but also it's probably more user error on my part, like i'm not used to it and getting the pressure / flow + distance from models right is something I need to work on.

Basically the closer to the model you spray the finer the line but then also the more paint your focusing in that area so you need to also reduce the pressure / flow. That's the theory anyway, just need to put it to more use. :D

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:11:51 PM »
So thanks to Hawk I've added 20 dire avengers, 3 jetbikes AND a falcon to the list.... i'm going to be painting these up forever!!!! lol

Offline bladeiai

• Battle Brother
  • A corrupted soul
    • View Profile
    • The Chaos Box
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »
Those Termies are looking good, can't wait to see more stuff finished!

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
on the desk at the moment we have the fire prism / night spinner primed in white for the painting comp and 8 dire's for my own logs / general WIP

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »
Finally got round to finishing those old school Dire Avengers along with the nightspinner / Fire Prism for the painting comp. So what to do next..... Well I have about 3 months to get a 1k list ready to play with and have plenty to paint namely: jetbike mantarch... i'm going to have to scratchbuild the autarch), 2 x wave serpents(still have to buy one of these), 5 striking scorpions, 2 squads of 3 jetbikes (of which i'm swapping the torso's for guardian ones cos frankly the normal jetbike ones are naff) and a warp hunter(I am going to try and do a stencil on this one to really make it stand out) so watch this space, i'm going to try and maintain a good standard of painting along similar lines to the one I used in the painting comp and of course I will continue to try and do new things where possible on each new thing i paint.

You'll notice i've not based the Dire Avengers just yet mainly due to not knowing what overall theme i'm going to run with just yet.

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
Here's an Early look at what's currently on my desk / my next project. This is still very very early doors with a tonne of detail work to do. the under hull weapons are magnetised to be able to change depending on what I opt for and the mount for them too so that I can remove it completely in case of weapon destroyed. in terms of painting all I have done is basecoat it and added a few layers of green shading. The biel tan symbol still needs a significant amount of work doing to it but i think it already looks relatively good. Let me know what you think!

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
quick update, i've just had my final exam and i'm in the middle of moving house so not much hobby time recently, but I have managed to get some time tonight to crack on with the warp hunter, namely the black lining between the panels on the hull of the tank, next steps is a wash over the green to bring that together a bit more then onto line / edge highlights on the panels and detail bits.

Offline Zangetsu

• Tempest of Blades
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Prickly Terrain Studio
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »
Another update, washed the green / white areas and edge highlighted the white bits, also magnetised the main weapon for easier storing / weapon destroyed. some subtle drybrushing on the engine intakes from black > Eshin Grey > Dawnstone.