Author Topic: First Timer Questions  (Read 1299 times)

Offline tannibal_lecter

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
First Timer Questions
« on: April 14, 2014, 01:58:34 AM »
So I'm going to my first tournament in September. They allow us to bring two lists for the same army. Is this standard practice?

So now I'm asking myself do I bring my fun yet competitive list AND ALSO a super cheesy one? I'm not sure how the players in the next town do things, so I'm not sure if I'm going to be facing screamer-star type lists.

What do you think I should do?

Offline Wraithlan

• Battle Brother
  • -He who stands with me shall be my Brother.
    • View Profile
Re: First Timer Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 03:08:59 AM »
I have never heard of one allowing you to take more then one list, but I am fairly new to the hobby.

That being said, I would be inclined to take a solid all comers list, and an anti WAC/cheese list. (whichever you are worried about more)

Finally I highly suggest taking a few moments to watch Fritz's everything you need for a warhammer 40k tournament video; I found it extremely helpful my first go round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S09yQe7jVA

What army are you taking and what point level? Best of luck to you!
-We strike with the wrath of the righteous

Offline tannibal_lecter

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
Thanks for the link.

I'm taking chaos space marines and its 1750 points.

Offline Bushleague

• Supporter
  • Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:37:08 PM »
My tournament experience in 40k is limited, but borrowif from years of playing magic: the gathering, one of it's tournament conventions is the inclusion of a sideboard. Essentially it's an extra quarter of your playable resources that you swap in or out according to perceived bad match ups.
It sounds like the tourney your attending is trying to incorporate something similar.

If it were me going I'd ask myself two questions first: what are my goals at the tournament, and
What do I need to do to get them. Personally I'd build a good core of my list that comprised of  1000-1250 points and treat the other 750-500 as a sideboard, things that will change depending on match ups. This way you'll be super familiar with the core of your army and many of it's nuances, while the variable part allows you more options in the toolbox.

I dunno, just my two cents.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:48:52 AM by Bushleague »
"Descend on Wings of Fury, and Scour the Enemy from the Battlefield" - Battle-Captain Janus Shraub, 3rd Company of the Angels of Sirocco, Successors of the 9th Legion.

Offline tannibal_lecter

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 12:36:10 AM »
Hey that's a good idea! I never thought of treating it like a sideboard! I have participated in a couple MTG tourney's so that concept isn't as foreign!