Author Topic: Lists  (Read 5408 times)

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lists
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »
That actually seems like a great list and gives me fuel to try and paint up an army. I keep getting bogged down with not knowing which units to paint! Good post :)

Yeah, I'm glad it helps. What I've learned is to make it manageable. I have so many half-built partially magnetized units from months of doing whatever I felt like. Turns out that just creates a huge amount of perceived work, a mess on your desk, and uncertainty in where to go next.

Like I said, all of my models are bare and in pieces. I saw BeeCee painting on the sprue in his Gargoyle post, but I feel like taking mold lines and sprue ends off of painted models is more difficult after the fact. I paint my models in pieces and glue them together afterward, because I feel that it gets the best results with the least hassle. The issue is that I can't really play with them until their done.

This time I've set aside all of the models above and I'm doing them all in segments. At this moment I'm almost ready to prime 2 Hive Tyrants (magnetized), 1 Tervigon/Tyrannofex (magnetized), 3 Hive Guard, 2 Zoanthropes, 30 Termagants, and 3 Warriors. It looks like I'll be magnetizing the Warriors to a degree, I'm just not sure how extensive it will be. I have a few of them so I may do something like, glue the Barbed Stranger on one or some such combination.

All I have left to do is do up 3 Pyrovore models (I hate the Biovore model, it's awful) that need some green stuff, and I have an Exocrine still on the sprue.

The good news about all of this is that I'm taking pictures and I have many lessons to share regarding green stuff, magnets, and painting with glazes for anyone who's looking to do something similar.

agreed on the mold lines, the parts I did on sprue were some wash work and painting some of the gargoyle guns to make it easier to hold them while you are painting. Definitely, everyone, make sure you scrape off mold lines first thing. You will regret it later if you don't!
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »
Edited my original post to include updated army lists and progress of work.

Offline Hivemind

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 11:49:29 AM »
Awesome lists are awesome.Yeah hive guard are annoying. Carnifexes and flyrants are were it's at. I'm sad to report that biovores have died in my Meta.....too many vehicles....carnifexes blow up rhinos lol

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 12:09:07 AM »
Pics or it didn't happen. Here's some of my recent progress...

I put a large 1/4" magnet as the main anchor for the Exocrine/Haruspex head. I did find that the one magnet was enough for either head (I could lift the whole model horizontally from the Haruspex tongue without play), but I added an anchor in the top carapace as a precaution. For the anchor the plastic is thin enough to magnetize without a hole, and all I wanted was for it to hold steady.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 12:14:18 AM »
For the heads I ran into a slight issue. If you look at the back of the heads, where you want to put the magnet for the Haruspex is between the exocrine head and gun. So, either way you need to green stuff something. My choice was to put it in the Exocrine head (both pieces actually sit very well on the body, props to GW) and then use a bit of green stuff to make a surface large enough to carve out a hole for a 1/4" magnet on the Haruspex. When I decided to add the top anchor, I had to do the same again. Fine with me, it was a simple sculpt and will be well hidden anyway.

The red you see on the model is paint I used to line up magnet to surface for boring holes.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 12:31:29 AM »
Very happy with the magnets on the kit above, all I need to do is fill some gaps and it's good to go. The TL Devourers are more of a mixed feeling. I was inspired by John Beech's Flying Hive Tyrant, who did basically the same thing, but used a Tyrant Lash Whip as the cable. I didn't exactly have 4 Lash whips hanging out (or 6 for the Carnifex for that matter) so I used more common materials like the Warrior Barbed Strangler and Venom Cannon arms. The MC arms are crushing claws.

The things I would (will) change are the placement of the Devourer heads. I'd have them a little more offset and closer together. Instead of that flesh feature, I'd find some scything talon ends to come out curving forward from where the Devourers go into the arms. Finally, I'd use more paperclip to readjust where the sac and cable flow. Either way, it's my first conversion sculpt and I'm mostly happy with how they turned out.

I will say that a dSLR camera really brings out the mistakes. =)

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 01:48:40 PM »
i like them. i did a simpler conversion for mine with the crushing claws and devo heads together.
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Online Rezial

• Brother Captain
  • Dominus Mutationis
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »
Wow, those are actually a really great idea.  I'd also offset the devourer parts and model slightly differently like you say.

I have some shots of my solution to this conversion from earlier in the summer. 

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/LittleIAO/40k/20140403_023226_zpsxz2cle7v.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/LittleIAO/40k/20140403_023258_zpsjsxf9e0t.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/LittleIAO/40k/20140403_023237_zpspwu93kky.jpg

I really wanted something a bit different and I expect some players might give me a hard time because I only used three devourers  to make the 'assault rifle' configuration.  I have a small amount of painting done on it and it looks pretty good so far.  I think I would try your way next time though.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:24:02 PM by Rezial »
Repent, for tomorrow you die.
http://rezial.blogspot.com/

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »
I don't even know what I would say if a player gave me a hard time about three devourer heads after converting a gun. I really hope that's never happened to you. This is where I got the idea. I like the tube on the top, but the bottom part needs some streamlining.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64078429@N06/8205865742/

I'll post my Carnifex ones I need to make with the adjustments.

After looking at those models again, I'm really excited to try mark two. I've magnetized the ones for the Flyrants, but I think I'll hold off on painting those limbs until I get the design down.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:44:57 PM by AlmostMercury »

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »
Devourers w/Brainleech Worms MkII

I streamlined the design, added spikes, (which I wanted in the other but couldn't fit), and closed the gap between the devourer barrels. The spikes are currently held together with poster tack, and I plan to add that tube on the top again. The green stuff will take up much less space and require less detail (which I think I over did in the first set).

I like these much better.

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 02:38:43 AM »
Alright folks, I'm home and I've written my 1250 list that starts my repaint!

240 Hive Tyrant (TL Devourers x2, Wings, Electroshock Grubs)
240 Hive Tyrant (TL Devourers x2, Wings, Electroshock Grubs)
110 Warriors x3 (Barbed Strangler, Deathspitter x2)
60 Termagants x15
170 Exocrine
165 Carnifex (TL Devourers x2, Adrenal Glands)
165 Hive Guard x3
50 Zoanthrope
50 Zoanthrope

All I would change here is either making the Zoanthropes a single unit (It should be a Malanthrope with 15 points to spare, but I can't do that right now), or cutting a Zoanthrope for something else, like 2 groups of 2 Hive Guard.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:19:32 AM by AlmostMercury »

Offline javaman21011

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 08:04:26 PM »
No venoms? Egads man!

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 10:33:12 PM »
Yeah. I don't actually own the models. They'd be easy enough to pick up, but because I stripped my whole army I have a lot to paint before I get anything else.

But with the release of Imperial Armor 4, I'm really contemplating Malanthropes.

Offline javaman21011

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 02:21:43 PM »
Malanthropes are awesome. I've been running mine in the last few league games and he's always performed well. I think that's because most people don't fully understand what he can do, so they ignore him in favor of killing the little gribblies. But T5 with shrouded and synapse? What's not to love!