Author Topic: mrnobody116's Death Guard Helbrute 6/21 - Completed 7/10  (Read 4393 times)

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
mrnobody116's Death Guard Helbrute 6/21 - Completed 7/10
« on: June 21, 2014, 01:53:01 AM »
I've had this Helbrute from my dark vengeance set on my shelf for a while because of a failed experiment with a new spray primer. This contest got me motivated to prime it for painting it death guard. I'll take better pictures of it once I start painting
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:21:31 AM by bladeiai »

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: mrnobody116's Death Guard Helbrute 6/21
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »
I started priming the Helbrute with a green spray primer from rustolium (first photo). I accidentally bought one with a glaze but the glaze gets covered in just one coat of paint. I then decided to wet blend the armor with Waaagh! Flesh, Loren Forest, and Camo Green (second photo). After that I added my "secret" nurgle mixture of Tallarn Flesh and Loren Forest onto the flesh parts. The mix is never exact and I allow the colors to blend differently each time I dip the brush into the paint so that the shade is slightly different throughout the model. After that I base coated all of the horns and spikes with Dheneb Stone (third and fourth photos). I'm satisfied with the progress so far and there is a lot more to come.

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:48:27 AM »
So I got done with the tedious process of base coating every metallic area with leadbelcher and then I base coated and started highlighting the eyes with blood red and blazing orange. I also base coated the skin around the eyes with another mixture of lauren forest and tallarn flesh. I think I got the lighting a little better for the pictures this time.

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:21:23 PM »
I started shading with washes today. I used a combination of bel-tan green and delvan mud at various mixes to shade the flesh parts. Its most noticeable on the models back. I also shaded the horns with delvan mud and gave it a bit of a texture with my brush strokes. I also worked on the eyes a bit more with a combination of blazing orange and skull white. Theres still a lot of things I want to do with this model so its a good thing there are still a few weeks left

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »
I highlighted the flesh with several layers of different combinations of tallarn flesh, lauren forest, camo green, and dheneb stone. I'm really satisfied with how the flesh parts came out and I most likely will not do too much more to it. I also washed some of the metallic parts of the pipes, chains, and the heavy flamer with badab black. I also put a heavy badab black wash on the head area in preparation for a lighting effect I am going to try. I painted the inside of the mouth on the helbrutes hand with tallarn flesh and washed it with baal red. I also put the first layer down on holes in the vents. Its not too noticeable yet, but after a few layers of paint the vents will have a glowing effect on them.

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:42:22 PM »
Not too big of an update today. I painted the glowing effect on the head with different combinations of camo green, goblin green, and skull white. I tried to make it look like theres an eerie glow inside of the armor. I finally decided on a paint scheme for the tentacles. I used my vallejo royal purple and washed it with badab black. I dont really have many purple shades so I progressively added bleached bone to the purple as I highlighted. Then I added my vallejo gloss varnish to make the tentacles look wet and gooey. I also highlighted the vents with a 1 to 1 combination of camo green and goblin green and for the second layer I just added skull white to that mix. I also highlighted the tips of the horns and spikes with bleached bone. Im almost done with the model! After that I will start working on the base and a secret effect Im going to experiment with.

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »
So this time I had a lot of fun doing a weathering effect on the armor and a blood effect on the two mouths and claws. I used a very watered down combination of wazdakka red, blazing orange, graveyard earth, and waaagh flesh. I basically put some on the ends of the armor and feathered it around. I then took some sand and glue and added it to the mix to create a home made texture to the paint and I added that on various places on the armor to show dirt and rust collecting. I also added tamiya clear red mixed with chaos black about five to one and smeared it on the mouths and claws with a paper clip. Im about 99% done with the model so all thats left is the base and a few more things!

Offline Thodin-Torzak

• Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »
Nice job so far, got to love Death Guard!!! Looking forward to seeing it finished!  8)

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »
I haven't done an update in a while so now I will be doing two updates. Sorry for the bad pictures I took them in a hurry as I was working on each step. I'm currently focusing on the base right now. I pulled the model off the base carefully (not so carefully) and painted the base a crazy blend of graveyard earth, loren forest, camo green, and delvan mud. I then took some foam board chunks and glued them on top of each other and glued sand on them. I painted them with my folkfirt brown paint since im running low on good brown paint and then dry brushed with graveyard earth gradually adding more dheneb stone to the color with each layer. I don't have any bits to represent corpses or body parts right now from gw so I decided to use a toy soldier as a dead IG. It came out much better than I thought. I will go over all of the paints and techniques I used on the soldier in the next update.

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »
So I painted the toy soldier's pants, boots, helmet and shirt with graveyard earth and the jacket with waaagh! flesh. I also painted the skin tallarn flesh and the gun with leadbeltcher.  Then I washed the brown and skin parts with delvan mud and the green and silver parts with badab black. Then I highlighted the jacket with loren forest and highlighted the brown with graveyard earth mixed with dheneb stone. Then came the fun part. I added tamiya clear red to the wounded areas and the ground around them to represent blood dripping everywhere. I have no green stuff sadly so to make the gore effect I used hot glue gun glue which worked surprisingly well and fast. I basecoated the gore purple and then added tamiya clear red as a sort of wash. Then i drybrushed on a small amount of tallarn flesh and washed it with baal red. I use this combination alot on nurgle daemon gore its my favorite thing to paint. I then added blood around the areas where the gore is dripping out and also in the slime at the bottom of the base. This toy soldier looks pretty dead.

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 05:43:48 PM »
Quick update. I decided to add some things last minute to the model which shouldn't take me too long to paint. I also glued the model back onto the base. I'm not done with the base yet but I'm at a good point to just glue him back on. I added a stream of sludge and gross stuff coming out of the barrels of the heavy flamer/multi melta which was inspired by one of my favorite weapons in dawn of war 2. I made it with hot glue and two paper clips and its also removable so I can use him for a game if I ever need to. I also glued three skull bits onto the model to make an icon of nurgle. Ill paint these up quickly and I should get done entirely on the last day or the day before.

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »
I did so much last night and today I don't even remember what all I did so I will go over the major things. I painted the sludge coming out of the helbrutes barrel camo green and graveyard earth. I also painted the little platform hes standing on codex grey and drybrushed it and brightened the top with skull white. I also painted the pupils of the eyes chaos black and I added a pipe made out of a straw to explain all the sludge on the base which I will be finishing up tonight or tomorrow. I painted up the icon of nurgle and freehanded some arrows. Im glad I added the icon after i painted because it still gave the arrows a weathered look but is still very clear and noticeable. I plan to finish right on the 10th so I can use the full time and add as much as possible.

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 02:41:08 AM »
I am done!!!! I spent all night working on this model fixing things and making sure everything looks good. The major things I added are some sewage coming out of the pipe, free hand tile on the platform my helbrute is standing on, a mark of nurgle on the shoulder pad, and some camo on the soldier. Weeks of all nighters, blood, sweat, and...filth have been spent on this model and I really think it payed off. I took eight pictures to be used for judging.

Offline mrnobody116

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: mrnobody116's Death Guard Helbrute 6/21 - Completed 7/10
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 02:42:51 AM »
Second set of pictures for judging

Offline deadmanonfire

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 03:00:54 AM »
i love your conversion of the weapon. its amazing. will do something like that, too.

but... i really dont like the toy soldier on his feet. buying a 2 dollar space marine or imperial army miniature would just push this mini where it belongs. the toy soldierīs lack of details is the problem...

anyway... love what you did there. the idea with the weapon shooting is AMAZING!!!
/Users/imac/Desktop/4204fc.jpg