Author Topic: Experience with Achilles Land Raider?  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Skyggedans

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Experience with Achilles Land Raider?
« on: August 05, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »
Has anyone used it and can recommend it? I was considering getting one and recreating the Sire of Methusa from the fluff for my Executioners chapter. It seems like a really fun fire support/advancing death star threat option. I've got my eye on some sweet side plates for it too.

For those that don't know it:

Usual LR stats, TL multi melta side sponsons, front mounted thunderfire cannon, ignores lance and melta effects, reduces penetration table rolls by 1, capacity 6, usual LR upgrades available

Offline Ramses135

• Primarch
  • Scion of Ulthwé
    • View Profile
Re: Experience with Achilles Land Raider?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 11:30:16 PM »
I'd like to hear about experience of all you guys out there either playing this model or against it - seems like a regular opponent of mine ordered two of them and will start to use them on upcoming tournaments.

So, as they say - you need to know your enemy  8)

Is it really SOOOOO resilient? Does this vehicle really win the games? Could it be considered OP or is it just a wrong first impression, given the not-so spectacular firepower (for these points) and the limits it bestows upon the rest of the army? I'd like to hear.
We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

Offline zatazuken

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »
Use them for what they are and build around it. I have given up elite slots for my Blood Angels to field one with a Techmarine and Servitors inside. I have found that, to make it worth the points and money, you need to play aggressively. It's an awesome model and is very durable. Just be sure to load it with a Techmarine and Servitors to fix the issues that tend to come up.

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:50:28 PM »
I am looking at the Achilles as well now. Adepticon is allowing Forgeworld so I thought I'd take a look to see what I've been missing out on. I hadn't payed much attention before since the places and tournaments I've been playing in had bans on Forgeworld.

I like the special rules and can live with not being able to assault out of the vehicle. But the points cost (particularly if I put a techmarine with servitors inside) makes me hesitate. Lot of points wrapped up in one unit. Strangely, BattleScribe describes it as having TL lascannons instead of TL multi-meltas. Not sure if that's just an error or if I'm missing something. I'd actually prefer the lascannons so that it could anchor my backfield and deliver some long range fire in addition to the thunderfire cannon.

Well, buying an Achilles land raider also makes me hesitate. Not cheap those.

I'm also thinking about a Mortis Pattern Dreadnought for some AA support as an alternate.

Anyone have some new insights into this?

Offline FalleN

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »
Their good but with the special rule for their armour being changed from not allowing the bonus for Melta and Lance to just Melta they are alot easier to deal with and at their high points cost aren't as strong as they used to be. The guy I play against the most uses his with his Minoutars Space MArine Army and I use my Eldar tho we don't play optimized lists( I only field 2 wave serpents and actually use a falcon). When they were immune to the lance and melta special rule I just ignored it unless I had no better targets. I kept my armour far enough away to take away worthy targets of the melta and just took the thunderfire cannon shots, there were very few games were it had any major impact at all. Now that lance weapons effect it, if he uses it my bright lances take it out pretty easily or I use my swooping hawks haywire grenades, with it having no assault ramp and a capacity of only 6 you don't really have to worry about a strong CC unit charging out of it.

I think it could be good against certain armies and now that chaos marines can take them i think they have a place in some armies but def aren't as good as they used to be. I mean 325 pts is alot, 50 more and you can have a Knight.
"Our time will come again, Eldrad has promised us. Once more you upstart Mon-keigh[spits] shall kneel before our power! This time we will not be so lenient!"

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 03:44:27 PM »
Where did the Achilles lose immunity to Lance? I don't see that in the Forgeworld errata but odd little rules get squirreled all over the place so I could easily have missed something.

Offline FalleN

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 11:36:15 AM »
Actually I think your right, For the loyalist version, we were looking at the Chaos one in the new IA 13 which only has armoured ceramite special rule which is only melta but I think there is another rule for the loyalist one that gives it the immunity to lance also. The loyalist book isn't mine as I don't have the achilles but I think the loyalist version still has that, I can't remember the name of the rule. Sorry shoulda figured the Chaos one would have less. Tho i still think ignoring it is pretty effective and as close in cost to a KNight thats a better option.
"Our time will come again, Eldrad has promised us. Once more you upstart Mon-keigh[spits] shall kneel before our power! This time we will not be so lenient!"

Offline hillshire

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 09:25:13 PM »
Ah, I'm relieved. With Eldar already prevalent and having many advantages, it would be tough to have the Achilles nerfed to weaken it vs Eldar and Dark Eldar weapons.

I got to try the Achilles in one game but I wasn't making full use of the Thunderfire Cannon's abilities. Still learning. Was holding up well but it eventually succumbed to mass grav weapons from space marine bikes. I plan on giving it another go over the holidays.