Author Topic: Balance the helldrake  (Read 1759 times)

Offline MaxZ

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Balance the helldrake
« on: July 14, 2013, 11:19:41 AM »
Why can't tournements include special rules or modifications to the codex, such as increasing the points cost of the helldrake? (First example that came to my mind I am sure there are more.) Is this against copyright? Modifications like this-in moderation of course, could solve many of gw rules problems.
http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=1534.msg16650#new
Imperial guard painting log, 500 points, picture heavy.

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Re: Balance the helldrake
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
This should be posted in the Warhammer 40K tournament section, not fantasy....moved...

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:22:14 PM »
I think what it comes down to is that any such changes would be completely arbitrary.  The TO had a bad experience against say DE venoms so he adjusts the point cost.....thinks pyro ores are bad so drops their points etc...

Primarily as a TO I strive not to make rules that will drive potential players away.  Now perhaps your suggestion attracts others, or maybe it does not.  I think that if you wanted to do it though you would be best off getting others to agree to it first.

Offline Maddog95

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »
'Cause regardless, player will find 'cheese' to exploit.
It's more important to make sure every one enjoys himself and have fair and good parings/missions then try and curb such armies.

And much like Fantasy Tournies where there are a lot of such rules to curb such armies (Dark Elves, Skaven, ...) where most of the time they don't work.

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:53:03 AM »
Problem with adjustments like that is that they will piss people off. GW puts out the "rules" and we should use them as is so there are no hard feelings towards the players using siad units or armies.

Pissed at how undercosted and over powered the helldrake is? That's GW's fault, not the player- if something is that good for the 'dex they should use it, no hard feelings...

Of course this is nothing new, GW does it all the time to push more models- look at the valk models in 5th edition.

The best we can do it get pissed for a few moments and let it go, and then focus on "ok" so X player brings 3 helldrakes, how am I going to beat that?

Offline BeeCee

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »
good call, it's so easy to get mad at a player for rolling a beast list on you but i know we all secretly (or not so secretly) wish he had the chance for the beastmode list.

it's a hard thing to do sometimes though, no matter what, no one likes losing. But even Goliath falls to a well placed stone...
Check out my thoughts and below average painting as a member of the FTGT team.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/