Author Topic: Specific Help on Picking an Army  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Czech Mate

• Neophyte
  • Young general re learning the game
    • View Profile
Specific Help on Picking an Army
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:16:16 PM »
Hello all! I used to play WH40K back when I was 15. I got experience using and facing with several armies, including Tau, Eldar, CSM, SM and most notably Imperial Guard (or whatever it's called now).
Anyways, now I am a few years down the road, and I'm looking for a new army to kindle my love of the game. I actually did research this time, unlike when I was younger, and I've made a personal pro-con list of armies I'm considering. I was hoping you guys could share personal experiences, favorite things about these armies, or even things you don't like!

Space Marines
Yes, I know that they are a solid begginer's army. But I like the look of the marines, and I'm in love with the models of the land speeder, bike, and dreadnaught. However, I find ultramarines way too boring to collect, so I was thinking specific chapters.

White Scars
Pros - This army seems to have it all, minus maybe heavily armored, hard hitting tanks that I'm so used to with my old guard army. I don't find this annoying though, rhinos seem to work just fine for transports. I also want to have an army that fields lots of infantry, not copious amounts like the Tyranids or Orks, but around 3 squads of tac marines, plus bikes and of course, land speeders.
Cons - being that I played guard... CC wasn't really an option. I would like it to be with my new army. The scars seem to be ok, just because marines are pretty tough on every front, but I don't see any potential beat sticks in the scar army. Also, fluff wise, they do not field dreadnaughts. This saddens my heart because I love the dreadnaught model, and would like to have one that I could use, competitively or not.

Would it be acceptable to use a fictional chapter I create but play competitively using the white scars chapter tactics?

Space Wolves
Pros - they have a wide range of units that cover litterally every need I could ever want. Ferocious in CC but maybe not the absolute best. That's okay. Capable of shooting down heavy targets from afar or up close. Flexible overall.
Cons - the fur. I am experienced in painting armour and skin... But I hate fur. And they have it everywhere. Also, with the release of several new models, I feel like a bunch of people will be playing this army. Let's face it; thunder wolves are awesome. Any flaws you guys find when playing them?

Dark Angles
Pros - shooty army, with a death wing and ravenwing list. Pretty awesome options. I don't like the land speeder vengeance models, so I probably wouldn't take them. From what I can tell, kinda like space wolves but shooty instead of melee.
Cons - the death wing list is cool but it severely limits the models I'm putting on the board. I feel like plasma and grav are becoming abundant, and terminators are easier to kill than ever. Then there's the ravenwing list, which, as far as I can tell is a wanna-be white scars army, but with much better CC capability.

Necrons
Pros - excellent basic infantry. Lots of bodies, which conveniently get a free FnP equivalent role. Gauss weapons can glance vehicles to death. Night scythes are awesome. Snipers! (I love snipers). I like the models (wraiths, deathmarks, and destroyers) and they are easy to paint and not too difficult to store.
Cons - initiative 2. Which kinda kills the otherwise CC capable army. Even the lords (with all of that awesome war gear) have it, which is really rough IMO. The wraiths seem to have the only way to deal with this. I also noticed a lack of strong weapons. I haven't looked through all of the weapon statistics, but it seems they don't have many high strength weapons like auto cannons, las cannons and the likes.

What do you guys think? What could work for me! What works for you? Did I leave an army out that could work?
"You're only losing if you aren't learning"

Offline zatazuken

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Specific Help on Picking an Army
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:35:36 AM »
It is perfectly acceptable to make your own chapter of Space Marines and use an established chapter's tactics. In fact, using a homebrew chapter will allow you to play whatever chapter's tactics you want within the vanilla codex without too many people giving you "the eye." This opens up a lot of flexibility in your playstyle and allows you to pretty much run free with whatever you want.

There are also other chapter tactics available as a free PDF from Forgeworld's website in the downloads section. You'll see them as 6th edition character and chapter tactics updates or something along those lines.

Offline MBrenizer

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 02:11:52 PM »
I had a terrible answering this question for myself, so I've ended up with multiple armies. It sounds like you enjoy many facets of the game ( shooting, assaults, bikes, heavy armor). In the end, you'll want enough models to field different kinds of armies.

So start with getting some basic marines and play a bunch. You can "proxy" some of the other factions with those initial models. White scars and Ravenwing look similar until you paint them and add the custom bits. See what you like, and then expand in that direction.

And nowadays, with allies, you can play with "a little of this and a little of that."  So your initial investment becomes an Allied detachment, if you decide to go a different direction.

Offline KBrown24

• Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Silent Alliance Gaming
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »
Please dont take offense to this, but I honestly think that you are cheating the other Chapters in the main codex a little. Scars are a solid army, but to me they are a certain play style. I am a huge fan of the Imperial Fists which is a very solid chapter in my opinion. Iron Hands have also caught my eye, however, the only main downside to this chapter is that they do not have any named characters unlike everyone else. Now whether or not there are in the Clan of Ruukan suppliment, I do not have a clue. Salamanders are also a very solid army and Raven Guard have some decent tactics also.

The main question you really need to ask is what type of play style do you want to play. Once you have really narrowed down that questions, then you can really start doing more defined pros and cons for all the armies and then the chapters if you decide to go SM.

Offline Angelic

• Corsair of Yriel's Eldritch Raiders
  • Supporter
  • WARMASTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 03:57:04 PM »
Iron Hands actually have no characters even the Supplement, which I found strange given that a certain Chapter Master (Kardan Stronos) had a lot of fluff in the Supplement and enough uniqueness to warrant special rules and wargear.. I'm really not sure why they didn't add him other than not wanting to make a model for him.. weird that.
The Dance Without End Begins..

Offline KBrown24

• Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists
  • Supporter
  • Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • Silent Alliance Gaming
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:01:48 AM »
Iron Hands actually have no characters even the Supplement, which I found strange given that a certain Chapter Master (Kardan Stronos) had a lot of fluff in the Supplement and enough uniqueness to warrant special rules and wargear.. I'm really not sure why they didn't add him other than not wanting to make a model for him.. weird that.

The SM codex mentions the Chapter Master for the Imperial Fists on several occasions, but the only character that we get is Lysander. Dont get me wrong, Lysander is a solid beast, but it wouldnt hurt to give us at least another character to play.

Offline KhorneFarseer

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 05:45:00 AM »
You culd try Sammael on Corvex and Kor'sarro Khan on Mordrach side by side with a Raven Wing/White Scars Bike list. That would be and Epic Black/White combo :)
The Imperium is a Weak Old man,
waiting to be broken apart by his Vengeful Sons