Author Topic: Forgechina  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Furio

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Forgechina
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:11:20 AM »
Ok this thread will no doubt open a can of worms, so if the admin of this forum wish pkease feel free to close it!

I'm sure many of you will have heard of the chinese companies that clone GW and forgeworld minis and then sell them at about half of the going rates. I have bought stuff from them (mainly forgeworld minis that I wouldn't have biught otherwise) and the quality puts GW and forgeworlds resin to shame. I heavily support my LGS and spend a fortune with them (all codexes, 3 flames of war armies, mtg and other bits and bobs)

Do you feel that there is a place for cloned minis in our hobby and how do you feel on the moral issues?

Please not I will not post links here so as not to create any problems for the founders of this forum, but with a bit of googling they're not hard to find.

Offline Furio

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Forgechina
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »
Oops I've posted this in the wrong part of the forum  :o, I've reported it to the mods to move it.

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
No problems talking about it...

Just no links so we don't get in trouble with GW...
Though my men may sleep, and my ships rest at anchor, my foes know full well that big guns never tire...

Look on my works ye mighty, and despair...

Offline Raydash

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:46:15 PM »
I've found stores selling them in China and in Russia. One of them went out of the web yesterday! So, I guess this won't last long. I bought a squad of Death Korps of Krieg believing it was the real thing... It turns out they're very nice. They even have Titans!!! But honestly, I won't buy from them again. The prices are tempting but I think it hurts the game in the end. If they were making their own molds and versions of kits, I wouldn't be that upset about it. :(

Offline Ravager

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »
This is an interesting one. I personally won't buy any because as you're probably aware they are pretty much perfect matches as far as I can tell. Which leads me to believe they buy one from forge world and use it to make their own master moulds. Therefore all the time that the forge world staff and sculptors and artists spent making the model from scratch is abused.

I find that the forgeworld models are absolutely stunning and rarely have any problems with their resin save perhaps warping on long thin items which is very easy to sort. Any problems my friends have had with them consisting of only 1 bad cast was addressed by the excellent staff at forge world who sent a replacement part.

Yes their models are expensive but think of the time that goes into the development its understandable. Plus their kits can consist of massive chunks of resin so I feel you get what you pay for with them.

At the end of the day this is just my opinion but I feel its sad that other people make money from your hard work.
Eldar Biel-Tan ~ 6000 points and growing
Blood Angels   ~ 3000 points
Chaos daemons ~ 1750points
Necrons ~ 3000 points

Offline eris

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
all the time that the forge world staff and sculptors and artists spent making the model from scratch is abused.

It's plenty abused by the 'quality' of forgeworld's casting.

I'll go back to the example of the Eldar Vampire Hunter which cost around 250 (us$400). It's a horrible model. It doesn't fit together correctly, the bottom of the hull is about 1/4 inch shorter than the top and the very bottom of the main hull (where you're supposed* to support the model) is made of a 2mm thick strip of resin which is too fragile to support anything.  So setting aside the usual casting problems and that the pulsars looked like bananas when they arrived it's basically a horrible and cheap attempt at what could have been an excellent model.

This is pretty much the rule of the market. I've bought a LOT form forgeworld, thousands of dollars probably, and a few bits from china. The stuff from china has been excellent. More carefully packaged, better trimmed, virtually no warping and fantastic detail level. I would rather buy the chinese product simply because it's better. It won't help with terrible base models like the Vampire Hunter, but at least I know I'll get a consistantly good mini from China, whereas Forgeworld is very hit and miss.

I respect the work of the original (artists where it's been good), but when paying that level of price for a mini, as a consumer you have to look after your own interests as well. I own a lynx from forgeworld and a lynx from china. All future lynx' will be from china, because if I keep buying them from forgeworld, they have no market incentive to improve their process and product. If forgeworld did actually make top end mini's, with love and care, rather than throwing any old miscast or warped piece into a plastic bag and chucking it in a box, then i'd probably buy from them every time. They don't so i don't.

Offline nevertobespokenof

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »
I have to agree with Eris here. I like 40k more than just about any other table top game out there right now. Having said that, I don't know too many of them, but I know a few, enough to make a choice which game I play. One thing that I really love about 40k is the models. That matters a lot to me, (gameplay as well, but models too). I can't play a game with models that aren't... special.

Now, GW does put out really high quality models, and does put out amazing looking units, but sometimes, majority of the time Forge World models, they turned up warped, cracked, and improperly made. I have had friends who have bought titans, and have been disappointed with the quality of the model. This cannot happen. If you spend 600$ on a model, it CANNOT be anything short of PERFECT.

Now, does it hurt the 40k economy and community.. maybe. It depends. It can really go either way, because the community will be there as long as there is a desire to play, and as long as GW puts out new codices, minis, and can grab new players.

But with Forge World, if they cannot put out PERFECT models (with a few exceptions of course.. an accidental 'bad' model with flaws, that is REPLACED FOR FREE) then they do not deserve the business. We only allow them to do so because there is nobody else that puts out quality like they do... until now...
The one who is never spoken of is the one who should be feared.