Author Topic: Breaking the NOVA format?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
Breaking the NOVA format?
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »
Just curious on other tournament perspectives regarding the NOVA format for 40K tournaments.

I felt like the NOVA created format favored vehicles and other 5th edition army builds, but how about now in 6th?

Is there a difference in building your army to particpate in NOVA vs. playing in regular games or tournaments using the rulebook missions?

Thoughts?

Offline FTGT Evan

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
    • FTGT
Re: Breaking the NOVA format?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:52:38 AM »
As someone going to NOVA for the first time this year I was really hoping for some feedback on this one. One thing that has struck me looking through the (draft) primer is that it's fairly low terrain density, with only 7 pieces on a 6x4 board. Seems to me this could help shooty armies, as if they need it.

That said, the terrain rules are also pretty streamlined, with everything being area, so even standing on a hill gives cover. I haven't seen the terrain they use, so it could very well be that while there are only 7 pieces, several are huge and take up a lot of space and block line of sight well.

I'm not sure I see explicitly though how it favors vehicles, but I could definitely be missing something. My plan in building my list is to make it as balanced as possible while including enough troop choices and having strong answers for gunlines which could benefit from the low terrain count.

Offline Breng77

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking the NOVA format?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 03:20:35 AM »
I'm not really sure that this year there is a way to "break" the NOVA format.  As for terrain while there are not that many separate pieces they tend to be fairly large and the center piece blocks LOS so it is not that easy for shooty lists.

Looking at the format

Mission 1: kill points + secondaries win by 3 vps
Mission 2: 5 objectives, ties go to table quarters, then secondaries + kps
Mission 3:4 objectives big guns ties go to kps, and then to table quarters
Mission 4: relic + 4 objectives + warlord and line breaker
Mission 5: objectives + warlord and line breaker
Mission 6 : scouring objectives, ties to table quarters, then kps

So were I trying to build a good army for this a few things pop out.

Being a kp denial army almost always helps, as they are at least the third tiebreaker in most missions. 

You need to be able to control board center.

You need some form of mobility.

In the tiered missions having Mobil units that are expensive points wise really helps win on table quarters.  Frequently this also leads to fewer kps.