Author Topic: Working on my army. Like a blog kinda fing...  (Read 21803 times)

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
  • Shoot da choppy ones and chop da shooty ones!
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
Working on my army. Like a blog kinda fing...
« on: September 20, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
Recently I have come to the conclusion that I have to change how I play 40K.
The reason behind having to change. I hurt my back while I was in the Army. Leaning over a table and standing bother my back. I've known I would have to make some changes for a while now but I am finally to a point were I am ready to actually do it.

The changes I am looking to make, where my Orks are concerned, are less models. Which is a real slap in the mouth for me. I have been a hoard player for a very long time, more like the whole time I have played Orks. And that's a long time now.

So I am working toward a list full of expensive Ork units. MANZ, Bikers, Vehicles ect.. More or less the fewer models I have to move the better. (I think)
I will be doing the same thing with my IG army, model reductions for my lists.
I don't really like that idea but I would like to be able to play more then one game in the same day, as I only get one day a month to play and not every month at that.

What I'm worries about is that an Ork army with fewer models in it wont play very well.
Any thoughts or ideas?
As for myself I am working on Biker Nobs right now and soon will be finishing up more MANZ and I think 2 GorkaMorka Naughts as well. Alternitively I am planning a Mek themed list with vehicles and guns, lots of DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA, I wont have to move as many models forward as I am used to but should be worth a try.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:29:01 PM by DeffBossGitKrusha »
Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop! Chop!
WAAAAAAAAGH! Dakka Dakka Dakka!
http://warhead01.blogspot.com/

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
Re: Working on my army.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »
1 DA BLITZ BRIGADE formation
5 battle wagons with reinforced rams 3 with boarding planks
no upgrades besides these
1 trukk
2 formations Ghazzkull's bully boyz base no upgrades
total cost
30 infantry models
6 vehicle models
guaranteed turn 2 charge for your entire army on turn 2 across any table
works extremely well i've personaly used it to table entire tau gun lines

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »
Since you said 2 gorkanauts, there is a formation in The Red Waaagh supplement book that is just 3 of them. While I'm not a fan of them (slow, threatening targets that die to melta pretty easily) the formation gives them a decent boost in assault as they survive longer into the game.

All that said, the battle wagons and blitz brigade combo mentioned is pretty good. 3 units charge quickly while 3 more turn into "wave 2". Only arguable downside to that list as presented is your warlord turns into a boss Meganobz as there is no HQ Warbosses. It's arguable on if the warboss is needed though.

I'll have to think of a minimum model ork list and see what comes up. It's an interesting challenge.

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:35:15 PM »
Since you said 2 gorkanauts, there is a formation in The Red Waaagh supplement book that is just 3 of them. While I'm not a fan of them (slow, threatening targets that die to melta pretty easily) the formation gives them a decent boost in assault as they survive longer into the game.

All that said, the battle wagons and blitz brigade combo mentioned is pretty good. 3 units charge quickly while 3 more turn into "wave 2". Only arguable downside to that list as presented is your warlord turns into a boss Meganobz as there is no HQ Warbosses. It's arguable on if the warboss is needed though.

I'll have to think of a minimum model ork list and see what comes up. It's an interesting challenge.
You don't get a warlord trait and a warboss is useless as meganobz can't run also since there is no independent character you don't have a warlord trait which is perfectly fine as there are no useful warlord trait as all of your models are fearless ws5 and cause fear

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 05:39:03 AM »
Some interesting ideas. I don't know for sure yet what I am leaning towards. I thought I might use a Stompa with all the upgrades. at 860 points, that will take a chunk of models out and should be reliable. we seem to play mostly 2000 point games. So I am planning for that. We don't use any enforced restrictions. More like I already know what would be poorly received on the table based on who I play. I want to stay in the realm of bound armies.
Previously I was using one detachment per 1000 points. no allies. I don't even know what allies I would want to take and have never used any.
I have 4 battle wagons and currently 16 MANZ. I am considering using the Gaz supplement for my primary detachment. I'm not overly worried about an Optimized list as that will come with playing the list.

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »

You don't get a warlord trait and a warboss is useless as meganobz can't run also since there is no independent character you don't have a warlord trait which is perfectly fine as there are no useful warlord trait as all of your models are fearless ws5 and cause fear

You still have a warlord as any character in 7th can be a warlord. So in your list, a boss Meganobz would be the warlord. In addition, you would also get a warlord trait from any of the 5 tables (ork, Ghazghkull, 3 from brb) - 6 if playing tactical.  Just because you don't have an IC doesn't prevent you from having a warlord or warlord trait - nor your opponent from being able to slay said warlord.  And that said, there are a number of traits I would say are worthwhile in a list like that which you proposed.

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »

You still have a warlord as any character in 7th can be a warlord. So in your list, a boss Meganobz would be the warlord. In addition, you would also get a warlord trait from any of the 5 tables (ork, Ghazghkull, 3 from brb) - 6 if playing tactical.  Just because you don't have an IC doesn't prevent you from having a warlord or warlord trait - nor your opponent from being able to slay said warlord.  And that said, there are a number of traits I would say are worthwhile in a list like that which you proposed.
apparently i was remembering the rule wrong apparently it's only if it isn't a character model i though it was only IC's get warlord traits

Offline Sawjawneckstompa

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 02:53:35 PM »
Well you can just run a stompa and morkanought stuffed with burnaz and lotas at 5 man with 3 meks, take your HQ as meks/bigmeks and just go.

My morkanaught with KFF has died once in 7 games, and it took a deamon prince and 12 chaos termies with chain fist to do it.
As a morkanought with KFF, rigors and 4 rep rollz is tough as hell.

The down side is people wil never want to play that kinda list twice, and I cant blame who can pass there own leadership test after watching as you almost kill some thing and buy there next turn its at full hull points and has fixed all its damaged parts.

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 03:11:36 PM »
just remember that the gorkanaut's huge ggatling gun of doom is str 6 ap 4 according to the errata i played it as str 5 ap 5 in one game before i read that and its performance made me sad

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
Another question for this topic.

Nobs mobs. MANZ mobs and Nob Bikers.
How many is two many? ( Models per unit?)
I am looking at a few things.
One being I have 5 nob Bikers. is that too few for a mob. I skipped biker nobs for the last two editions.
So I have no practical experience with them. I have used them twice in 7th. mobs of 4 in one game and 3 in another. In the first attempt I think they were a miss match, the wrong unit to use against a large cultist blob. they did destroy the cultists and nearly kill a very very wounded Blood thirster but left me unimpressed.  In the next game they were once again a miss match due to the amount of TAU shooting and overwatch they took. I now have a boss a Big Mek nd a Pain boy on bike. so more then 5 nobs? a full mob? not sure. I have parts for 3 more biker Nobs.
Foot Nobs mob. I have loads of nobs collected. But what is the fewest models that can be considered reliable?

And lastly MANZ.
Looking at the bully boys formation. I like it. Fearless Nobs and I am thinking about Battle wagons in their too.

I'm also giving though to the air armada formation too If only it didn't require Dakka Jets.

If all goes well I will be adding 2 more truks to my collection. Any thoughts on Burna boys in truks?

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 12:26:59 PM »
I'm also giving though to the air armada formation too If only it didn't require Dakka Jets.

If all goes well I will be adding 2 more truks to my collection. Any thoughts on Burna boys in truks?

One thing that helps the Air Armada pairing it with the Ork Warband formation from the codex or the Green Tide from the Ghazghkull supplement. These formations give Stampede which works well will all 3 types of jets.

As for Burnaboyz in trukks, I'm not a fan since it's too easy to become a target.  Trukks, en mass, have a decent survival rate due to the sheer number of them.  Producing them in waves, a burna trukk would be good in a 2nd wave push.  However, with that said, there's a lot of threats that you can put into a trukk that I would rate as higher priority than burnas (MANz and Tankbustas come to mind).  So it could work but it would depend a lot on what else is present to distract your opponent from them.  The larger issue with burna trukks is that they are a shorter range unit with no access to 'eavy armor.  Not saying 4+ is needed but for a shorter range unit, it would help their survivability.

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 01:58:28 PM »
If you are running nob bikers run them in minimum squads as they are incredibly expensive and large blobs of them become target #1 for your enemy and they will die before they get in combat

Online DeffBossGitKrusha

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
    • work in progress
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »
The attraction to the Air Armada is that it's 5 aircraft and doesn't use any fast attack slots from a FOC.
I have read others recommending the paint boy with the Burnas.  I had just wondered if anyone else had done it.I will have 6 truks in total but I am rally thinking about more truks. Maybe 10 to 12. I have been using a sort of MSU build with the Orks and it seems very flexible and very survivable so far. But that in...3 or 4 games so far. I am a long time foot hoard player and know how well those have worked and I can see them working even better now. the most I want to list tailor is to the mission. More so around the deployment zones then anything else. 

I have 13 war bikers and am waiting on 3 more to arrive. How do you feel about those?
And are you suggesting Biker nobs of just 3 models? Or just keeping them small?

Offline hawkhaven667

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
The attraction to the Air Armada is that it's 5 aircraft and doesn't use any fast attack slots from a FOC.
I have read others recommending the paint boy with the Burnas.  I had just wondered if anyone else had done it.I will have 6 truks in total but I am rally thinking about more truks. Maybe 10 to 12. I have been using a sort of MSU build with the Orks and it seems very flexible and very survivable so far. But that in...3 or 4 games so far. I am a long time foot hoard player and know how well those have worked and I can see them working even better now. the most I want to list tailor is to the mission. More so around the deployment zones then anything else. 

I have 13 war bikers and am waiting on 3 more to arrive. How do you feel about those?
i wouldn't go with that many MSU's for otks it doesn't really work because you generally want to stay above 10 models per unit most of the time for mob rule

Offline Unholyllama

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »

I've done well with MSU Orks recently myself. 2 MANZ, 1 Tankbusta, and 3-4 Boyz supported by smash Gunz and rokkit buggies have worked really well recently. They still have some issues with transports but overall do quite well against a variety of opponents. Wave serpent spam and Triple knights have been a consistent pain though.