Author Topic: Beasts of Nurgle  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Azazel

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Beasts of Nurgle
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:14:54 PM »
Hi, I have recently come into possession of five of the Forgeworld Plague Toads and am looking forward to including them in my list.

I've done a little theory crafting on these guys and my conclusion was that they are not optimal units. But since I run mono-Nurgle and I love the models I want to include them anyway.

Their stats are great, Beast is nice.

But one thing that makes them really stand out is the 'Attention Seeker' rule.

It seems like a bit of a liability to me, especially because of Daemonic Instability.

You can mitigate this disadvantage by rerolling your charge dice so that you don't end up in a combat you want to (Fleet from Beasts). And if more than one unit of yours is being assaulted you don't have to chose the nearest one. Or you could have a Herald join the unit, but that has all kinds of draw backs.

But the only benefit I could think of would be to have them near a weaker unit to help them in an assault in the enemies turn. But even then the enemy can beat your weaker unit and the poor Beasts will suffer the instability.

Do you know any good tips or tricks with Beasts of Nurgle? Especially any concerning their Attention Seeker special rule?

Offline Colby

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Re: Beasts of Nurgle
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »
Dude they're annoying, and rediculously hard to kill without strength 10. I would say keep them with the rest of the horde, so you can charge on another person's turn, and thus protecting your squishier daemons.

Have tried taking the flies and then having the beasts deepstrike from them? That might be interesting or a complete fail. I don't know.

Offline nurglesrott

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »
I run three (also plague toad models) and they always get shot up before I get there, but at least they draw lots of fire away from my other nurgle dudes. (I also run mono-nurgle) In combat vs MEQ they aren't great, but hold out for a few rounds usually. If they make it into weaker stuff they do pretty good. As far as tips go, just don't forget to move them like the beasts they are, like I sometimes do cause I'm such a noob. :P
Rot, glorious rot.

Offline Raggbur

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:07:37 PM »
Dude, the first time I played deamons, one, litteraly one of those things single-handedly wrecked my back field.

It's insanely tough, and I just couldn't kill it with all my lasgun fire because of it's ridiculous toughness and 2+ cover save.

And funnily enough, I forgot about the damn attention seeker rule, the one moment were it actually benefited my opponent.
I had a squad of plasmavets ready to take it down next turn, and it couldn't go anywhere. There was also a lonely herald nearby, and an infantry squad at full strength. I charged... The thing killed 3 models, I lost combat and ran. The beast consiledated away, and a was therefor able to assault my vet squad in his turn. Still killed the damn herald though.

Yeah, five would be a damn pain in the neck, and a good denial unit.
We must forgive our enemies...
But not before they are hanged

My Blog: raggburscodex.blogspot.com
Aaaand Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Raggbur/feed?activity_view=3

Offline Azazel

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:30:33 PM »
I did find one good use for 'Attention Seeker' accidentally the other day.

My opponent charged a Soul Grinder of mine with the intention of the Sargent destroying it with his Melta Bomb. Needless to say, the Beasts charged in to help and with the help from the Grinder wiped out the squad before the Sargent could attack. :)

Offline nickhead

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »
hey guys I am new to the forum and my cousin and I are debating the wording of the special rule attention seeker and I need a clear way to understand how this rule works and I want to use the situation I found myself in which started it all. now he is under the belief I have to wait for all of his units to charge in the sub charge phase. this is how the turned was played out he was playing crons me daemons he charged my hounds of khorne first and my BoN were 12 inches away and were next to be charged but I want to know is after that unit was done there charge against my hounds is when I charge with the BoN also the one thing he is claiming is in the beginning of the special rule it says any enemy charge sub phase not any enemy unit charge sub phase thanks for any insite

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 08:47:52 AM »
Personally I use beasts as the delivery vehicle for my herald council.
I take 3 with 4 heralds.
With it will not die they are great for taking look out sirs etc, their bulk can block line of sight and the extra move allows you to slingshot into combat.
Plus if the unit has the book and cursed earth your opponent will NEVER get them off the board