Author Topic: Emboldens Eldar 40k blog - Seer Council goes to Caledonian Revolutions July 2015  (Read 115127 times)

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
Thread Contents Page:

Eldar Codex 2015
First list challenge: Using the same list for 5 games in a row!  8)
First list and game1 build up pg25 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.360
Practice Game1/5 with the new codex pg25 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.msg50121#msg50121
Practice Game2/5 with the new codex pg25 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.msg50143#msg50143
Practice Game3 and 4/5 with the new codex pg25 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.msg50168#msg50168
Practice Game5/5 with the new codex pg25 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.msg50230#msg50230
List help needed  pg28 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.msg50635#msg50635

Seer Council journey starts here:
First games with the Seer Council pg29 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.420
Seer Council go to Caledonian Revolutions July 2015 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?action=post;topic=4368.450;last_msg=51564
Seer Council Psychic Power Tactica http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.msg51606#msg51606
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Eldar Codex 2013:
GT Heat3 October 2014 Tournament Report: http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.30

Caledonian January 2015 Tournament Report: http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.105

Harlequin Invasion Begins! March 2015http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.135

Harlequin Masque Formation Discussion March 2015 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.209

Local RRT Tournament Report April 2015 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.300

War of the Roses Tournament Report May 2015 http://thewarmaster.com/index.php?topic=4368.msg49926#msg49926
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intro:
Okay, so I've attempted things like this before, but the ideas change in my head or I get distracted by a new project or I change the army and my posting to the thread dries up... so I thought I'd start a more generic thread... somewhere I can just post my thoughts on all things relate to my Eldar army, including battle reports, tactics, painting (of which I'm procrastinating now) and anything in between that sparks some interest.

So here goes!  ;D

What am I up too?

Well, after moving house and things are starting to settle a little, I NEED to get some practice games in before the GT which is on the 8th and 9th of November! So I have a game tonight against Nids, FMC list, 3 Hive Tyrants, 2 Hive Crones, 2 Harpies, 2x3 Rippers and 3x12 Gargoyles. So fairly nasty and a good test for the list.

My GT Army List:

Autarch - Fusion Gun - 80
5 Fire Dragons - Wave Serpent, Holofields, Shuriken Cannon, TL Scatter Laser - 255
5 Fire Dragons - Wave Serpent, Holofields, Shuriken Cannon, TL Scatter Laser - 255
5 Dire Avengers - Wave Serpent, Holofields, Shuriken Cannon, TL Scatter Laser - 210
5 Dire Avengers - Wave Serpent, Shuriken Cannon, TL Scatter Laser - 195
10 Storm Guardians - Wave Serpent, Holofields, Shuriken Cannon, TL Scatter Laser - 255
1 Hornet - 2 Pulse Lasers - 80
1 Hornet - 2 Pulse Lasers - 80
Wraithknight - 240

I've had to paint this entire army, which started at the weekend, here are a few pics so far:

Bases for the army:

Wraithknight:

Still lots to do
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:41:39 AM by embolden »
AKA: Rob

Element Games Referral Code: ROB745

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline Silent_death

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Emboldens Eldar Log
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »
What paint did you use for the black on the wraithknight?
Also looking good. :)

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
What paint did you use for the black on the wraithknight?
Also looking good. :)

It's a mix of regular GW black and silver. I remembered a golden daemon winner using it on marine armour and thought why not. I've used that same colour on all the models in the army so far, it's very subtle in daylight and not under flash.
Thanks!

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 01:44:11 AM »
GT Heat3 practice game1:

So I played my first game of GT practice against Ross last night, he was using Nids with the Skyblight formation:

3 Hive Tyrants with Haywire Flamers and a Devourer each, 2 Harpies with Heavy Venom Cannons, 2 Hive Crones with Haywire missiles and a AP4 str6 Flamer, then for troops it was 3 units of 12 Gargoyles and 2 Ripper swams, as for psychic powers he got a 2 FnPs and that a couple of the Lance shot (str9 I believe), I really don't know anything about the Nids bar the basic stats and too look out for a few tricks, like the Haywire flamers...

We ended up just playing Kill points as I forgot the mission pack for the GT...

Ross won the roll for turn1 and took it with both hands with a massive smile on his face! (I cannot blame him!) He set up all 7 FMCs on his deployment zone edge and 2 units of Gargoyles just behind, both units of Rippers also go into reserve.

I deploy with 3 Serpents on the right flank behind a ruin, 2 Serpents and the Wraithknight on the left flank, both hornets go on the extreme right flank. 

My deployment:

I fail to seize, Ross then bombs forwards with everything and 1 hive tyrant causes 5 glances to a Serpent in the ruin which causes 2 HPs in the end, nothing else is in range or does any damage.

FMC approach
[

My turn and a lot of frustrating dice later I've causes 3 wounds to a Hive tyrant (Scatters were hitting, but I rolled 1-3 on the Serpent Shields, not a single high roll...), I then got lucky as the Tyrant failed its grounding test and died, for first blood, warlord and a kill point.

Ross continues to fly forwards and into the face of the tanks, this turn he starts to cause carnage in my ranks and 2 Serpents and a Hornet goes down, but he causes 2 HPs on another Serpent...

I decide to go for it, dropping off everything from the tanks and try to kill the Hive Tyrants which are causing most of the damage with the Haywire Flamers which I cannot really stop him from getting 2 tanks per Flamer... but my dice are not with me as I do no wounds......

I drop out the infantry:

Ross then starts the tabling procedure of killing pretty much everything bar the Wraithknight in his turn3, I have a Serpent immobilised and a Wraithknight on full wounds.

My turn and I try to kill a Crone but the Wraithknight fails to hit again (hasn't hit with 6 shots so far) and the Serpents Scatter Laser misses and then so does everything else, so we call it...  :-\

It was just one of those games... I just couldn't roll 6's 5 Serpents, Wraithknight and 2 Hornets caused about 6 or 7 saves in turn1 and maybe 1 or 2 turn3... wasn't good aha! But I've not played a list like that before, FMC are something that my old gaming club never used to use or it was the odd Daemon prince or Hive Tyrant only, not an army of FMCs. I was very greatful for the experience. I think having my time again I would actually move towards him with my Serpents and force my opponent to land to shoot the tanks for fly off the table, this also allows me an escape route, I think any other mission from KPs gives me a better chance as well as I can play the long game trying to grab objectives, I might have to playtest even if its a proxy game against myself...

Embolden Eldar Log

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 02:25:42 AM »
Im curious... why the storm guardians? what will be their role?

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 03:03:21 AM »
Im curious... why the storm guardians? what will be their role?

Extra melta and more protection for the Autarch Warlord.

My thinking behind the extra Melta is that many lists are moving towards Mech and when combined with the Autarch make a diet Fire Dragon unit with objective secured, plus they're not easy to remove in terrain.

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 03:54:20 AM »
GT Practice Game2:

Astra Militarum.

So I wanted a game against these, not played Guard in a while so wanted to see what the new codex has brought them and my mate Will stepped up to play me.

My list hasn't changed.

Wills AM list:

Yarrick
Priest
Primaris Psyker Lvl2 with Force Axe
Primaris Pysker Lvl2 with Force Axe
Primaris Psyker Lvl2 with Force Axe

Veteran Squad

Blob: Platoon Command
5x Infantry Squads - 5 Power Axes, 5 Meltabombs, 5 Lascannons, 5 Plasma Guns

Vendetta
Vendetta

White Scar Allies:
Chapter Master - Bike, Shield Eternal, Power Fist, Artificer Armour
5 Scouts

A nice ally with the White Scars, this blob has the tools to deal with pretty much every thing the game has to threaten them!

We played a GT mission, Relic primary, Tactical Deadlock Maelstrom Secondary and Firststrike, Warlord and Linebreaker, Dawn of War Deployment.

My Warlord trait is -1 to opponents reserves, Yarrick has a set one that doesn't really have an in game effect as far as I could tell...

Psychic Powers:
Primaris1: 4+ Inv, Scriers Gaze, Prescience
Primaris2: Endurance, Iron Arm, Smite
Primaris3: Cleansing Flame, ??? (wasnt Hammerhand or Sanctuary), Banishment

I won the roll for sides and deployment, I set up in a split formation (the terrain was quite sparse with 2 ruins on either flank of my deployment zone), Wraithknight deployed in the centre to act as bait for the blob, the Serpents split into either flank, I decide to outflank the Hornets.

The Blob deployed centrally with all the characters, Chapter Master on bike out front to tank the hits, the Platoon command went out of side to the right and the Vet squad deployed in reserve along with the Scouts and Vendettas.

Turn1 my opponent seizes!!
The blob moves up leaving the Lascannons stationary, the Primaris's fluff with powers as only the 4+ inv goes off, Yarrick issues monster hunter and the Platton Command issues ignore cover...

The Blob strips off 3 wounds from the Wraithknight.

My turn and the Wraithknight moves up to the blob, the Serpents move down the flanks ready to flank the blob and begin by ripping into it, removing 15/20 Guardsman including a couple of sergeants, 2 Plasmas and a Lascannon.

Wraithknight then charges the blob surviving the overwatch with 1 wound and kills the chapter master!! my opponent played a little poorly here and got very unlucky at the same time, the Hammer of Wrath did a wound to the CM, then after hitting and wounding 4 times, with 3 wounds left on the CM, he rolled 2 dice first off and took 2 wounds, unlucky, but I would never roll like this just in case.. 3+ inv save isn't that amazing! The next one was LoS'd to a Guardsman, then rolled a 1 to LoS the last save, then failed the save itself, killing Hit and Run, the blob can afford to lose 4 Guardsman as the CM and Meltabombs will cut down a 3 wound Wraithknight... Anyway, Firststrike and the Blob remains locked as a Meltabomb which is in range fails to wound.

The rest of the game pretty much hinged on that one move, the Vendettas come in and do no damage to a jinking Serpent, both Hornets then come on and fire into the rears of both Vendettas, now I get lucky, my opponent decided not to jink risking it and both are removed! One through a crashing immobilised result, the other was exploded!!!!!  ;D

The blob did finish off the Wraithknight, but was quite messed up at this stage with only 20 or so models left, the Lascannons do bring down a Serpent, but its all too late and Fire Dragons, Dire Avengers all swoop in for the kill as I deny the 4+ Inv save which only passed once on 4 dice.

In the end I table the AM and rack up a massive win on Maelstrom, even capturing the Relic and claiming all 3 secondaries.

Had the Chapter Master not perished turn1 I think the game would have gone differently, but I'm still confident my list has the tools to deal with a blob of this style. I was very happy with the tactics I employed in this game, basics I know, but flanking the tanking character allowed the Serpents to remove a lot of the nastier things hidden in the blob.
Not sure what I'm up against next.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:14:38 PM by embolden »

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »
Army pics:

Not finished yet... but a solid start:

Wraithknight:

Fire Dragon unit1:

Fire Dragon unit2:

Autarch:

Storm Guardians:

2x5 Dire Avengers:

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 04:53:42 AM »
Managed to get a quick bit of painting done last night, the wave serpents have has some lava glow/burning effect put on the front of the hull.

Still the canopies to do and the highlighting.

Should be done in the next few days

Embolden Eldar Log

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 04:59:27 AM »
wow they are coming along mate.... I so need to paint mine up more!

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 07:35:36 AM »
Thanks Mcphro, I've been putting an hour or more aside each day and it's working! In 2 weeks I've painted most of my army, in fact its now tournament legal with 3 colours on each model 😄 But I want to highlight and paint a few more details.

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 02:09:31 AM »
Alright, I spent an hour last night painting canopies and here are the results:

While looking for ideas on canopy paint schemes I did stumble across this:

Which is something I'm going to copy and add to all of my Serpents/Hornets, but after the GT which is in a couple of weeks time!

Embolden Eldar Log

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 02:53:08 PM »
And finally, an army shot or two...

I think the overall effect is quite simple, but I like it!  8)

Embolden Eldar Log

Online mcphro

• Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 01:11:03 AM »
Nice mate.. one day (once ive painted mine up of course) we should have a eldar army submissions thread. Show your entire army in its glory!

Offline embolden

• Grand Master
  • Harlequin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 01:20:06 AM »
Cheers mate! Cannot wait to get them on the table again my opponent pulled out this week, so having to wait until next to play!

An Eldar showcase thread would be awesome!  8)

Embolden Eldar Log