Author Topic: Eldar Lynx with a Sonic Lance. Oh so dirty?  (Read 3653 times)

Offline eris

• Battle Brother
    • View Profile
Eldar Lynx with a Sonic Lance. Oh so dirty?
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
So.. i never really liked the sonic lance. ok, it's the big flame template so it ignores cover, it's ap2 so it ignores armour, but it only wounds on a 3+. that's a little lack luster compared to the strength D of the pulsar that you can run instead. But, something just occured to me..

You can swap out the Shuriken Cannon on the Lynx for a Scatter Laser.

Laser Lock from the Scatter Laser means that all other weapons fired by that vehicle are twin-linked. It's not limited to the target the Scatter Laser hits, so it'll affect all the units under the sonic lances template. twin linking a template weapon gives you rerolls to wound AND rerolls to pen!

so
it's a fast skimmer so you can move 12" and fire
reach 18" out plus the length of the hellstorm template on top of that
you're auto-hitting with the template placement
rerolling a 3+ to wound
ignoring armour and cover saves
and rerolling 3d6 to penetrate vehicles

suddenly i'm a little bit in love with how dirty this thing is!  ;D

Offline Slartibartfast

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Eldar Lynx with a Sonic Lance. Oh so dirty?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 07:15:29 AM »
I don't play against Eldar, so am curious about your remark.  Can Eldar bring a strength D weapon in a regular 40K game now, or are you talking about Apocalypse?

Offline Ravager

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
Apocalypse.

Yeah I've always felt the same about the sonic lances but agree with your point about the scatter laser that does make for some interesting implementations. I may find a place for a sonic lynx in my army...
Eldar Biel-Tan ~ 6000 points and growing
Blood Angels   ~ 3000 points
Chaos daemons ~ 1750points
Necrons ~ 3000 points

Offline Slartibartfast

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 06:34:57 PM »
Shawn from Bluetablepainting has been playing his Eldar a lot in battle reports lately.  He's got guys that have strength D flamers that cause instant death on a roll of 6, and the models are toughness 6.   They're troops too.  They're just ridiculous.  Fire Dragons?  They look like the old Guardian model.  They roll up and just delete anything in range.  Then they stand there and absorb anything.  Toughness 6 makes them very hard to kill with shooting or in close combat.

I won't play against an army with that kind of shenanigans.  Just not a game.  It's a slaughter fest.

Offline Ravager

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:37:35 AM »
Those are the new d sythes on wraith guard. But I assure you they are not destroyer weapons. They are only   str 4. All d weapons cause instant death on a 6. And always have. And the wraith guard have always been toughness of 6. Also they are only troops with a spiritseer hq.
Necrons ~ 3000 points

Offline Slartibartfast

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
Well, I profess ignorance here.  Don't have an Eldar Codex to refer to.  Shawn has stated several times in his battle reports that his flamers have, "Strength D".  He used them to auto pen a vehicle as if they were destroyer weapons.  I've looked online in the forums for clarification of the difference between "Strength D", and "Destroyer", weapons and find no clear answers.  Would like to know.  Can you clarify this for me?

Offline Ravager

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 01:28:02 PM »
Destroyer and str d are the same thing, but its only for use in apocalypse games. In which anything that suffers a hit is pretty doomed, vehicles suffer a pen on a 1, on a 2-5they explode unless its a super heavy in which case they just loose extra hull points, 6 is just for super heavy which loose massive amounts of hull points. Against organics on a 1 they escape somehow. 2-5 loose upto 4 wounds and 6 loose upto 12 wounds. Again this is just for weapons with str D which means destroyer and these weapons are only legal in apocalypse.

I watch btp vids too, which bat rep is he using these weapons in?

What he may be referring to is the fact that these d-scythes have a distortion (d) effect, that activates on a to wound/penetration roll of a 6. Which causes either instant death or an automatic penetration.

But in the previous codex the d-cannons caused the same instant death on a 6 or against vehicles they were 1,2 nothing 3,4 glance 5,6 penetrate. So pretty similar really.

Necrons ~ 3000 points

Offline Slartibartfast

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »
I get it.  That's very clear.  Thanks!