Author Topic: Scratch Built Chaos Spawn!  (Read 4756 times)

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
  • I have a strong interest in Voodoo.
    • View Profile
Scratch Built Chaos Spawn!
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »
I've really loved using chaos spawn in my last few games. So as an October/halloween themed project, I decided to get back and build me up some more spawn. I only have 2 proper ones atm, but with enough bits, and alittle imagination, chaos spawn are kinda easy to build from nothing.

Just got the first guy done. Was originally going for more of a slug kinda thing with his legs, but after it was all set up, I looked at it and thought "nah, not slug, Centipede!". A few added little claw bits later and he was done.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scratch Built Chaos Spawn!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
Some more shots!

Offline AlmostMercury

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:21:18 PM »
Good work!

Offline DJMoose

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 04:04:27 AM »
Very nice.  I'm picturing it saying "I'm gonna getcha!" while it scribbles along the ground. That head looks familiar; is that the top of a banner for some unit?

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:45:20 PM »
Yeah it's from a khorne standard or something. Just clipped off the extra metal parts then glued on the horns from a daemon prince head. Got a nice bull skull looking thing.

Offline Overlord Azuos

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »
Nice conversion, suitabely chaotic.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:00:21 AM »
And heres number 2!!

This one was going for more of a Gorilla type look. I originally wanted a way more hunched over, walking on all 4s kinda look, but as I was posing him, this seemed like the visually better position to be in. Plus it gave me more space to put more faces on him.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:13:03 AM »
Some early wip pics.

The daemon prince torsos needed to be filled up. So instead of using old shavings, I actually sniped up a spur, and used the chunks to fill out his back. Worked out better then expected. It gave him the sturdyness for building, and the size that every chaos spawn deserves.

Some of the bits in this guy are helbrute faces, pink horror face, Tzneetch flamer face, spawn parts, daemonette arm claws, daemon prince arm, possessed chaos space marine arms, tyranid limbs and more.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 09:55:28 PM »
Heres a mash up video of me during the making of this second chaos spawn.

My first real attempt at video editing. All I did was add some text spots and little intro music, nothing special.

But hope you all enjoy all the same ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuVf7-r5kxs

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
Some WIP pics of the third chaos spawn!

A video will be up soon showing off the third guy right away.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 10:57:01 PM »

Offline Neojarlaxe

• Chapter Master
    • View Profile
    • Campo de Batalla (Battlefield)
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 07:09:54 AM »
Good Work
You are invited to my Blog and my YouTube Channel:
http://figurasvictorq.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/neojarlaxe

Online Fritz40K

• ADMIN
  • Primarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 07:15:28 AM »
Very cool, love the differences of the three.

Offline TheFallenStar

• Brother Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »
Very cool, love the differences of the three.

Yeah! I definitely started them thinking that each one had to have a definitive feel to them. Like looking at 3 different monsters from 3 different horror movies. The first one was more of just a slug like monster mash. No real inspiration for this guy, just gluing random parts to each other.

The second guy I kinda go the idea from this fat bastard http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140930164250/tardis/images/f/f0/ABZORBALOFF.jpg from Doctor Who. The idea being that every creature he absorbed would have its face showing on its body.
Then I took that idea and kinda applied it to more of this kinda creature body type http://images.pushsquare.com/screenshots/40183/large.jpg because the fat Doctor who guy isnt really scary enough for a chaos spawn xD

The third guy was definitely going to be a spider type creature, I made that solid decision right away. I just didnt know how to properly go about designing such a thing. Since there are so many spider like chaos spawn out there. But this other guys work kinda gave me an idea of how to go about building him  http://www.ahschmidt.com/images/spawn2.jpg .
After that I kinda just started putting as many spikey legs and claws on him. Eventually I started envisioning something close to the aliens from John Carpenters movie "The Thing". So he became more spider like, with extra long legs, his head on a long neck, and an extra mouth coming out of his chest.

And thats just a little run down of how these guys came to be. If anyone is ever struggling with trying to come up with an idea for something, always feel free to check out other peoples work online for inspiration. Before I even started working on these guys I was checking out pictures of horror monsters. I searched "Chaos Spawn" alot in the Google images lol. And just generally brainstormed stuff together until I got a nice idea of what I wanted.